NHL News/Notes XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The way things are going, I have a feeling these contracts DW is signing now might not look so bad after a while...
The player salary scale was kinda messed up for a while in that the top guys were getting the big bucks while the lower end and middle class were still getting paid the same for years. So an overpay just when the payscale readjusts itself makes for fairer looking numbers in the long run

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah for some reason i thought he had played for the jets part for 5 or more years before they moved. But he was just a rookie the year before the move.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Yeah for some reason i thought he had played for the jets part for 5 or more years before they moved. But he was just a rookie the year before the move.

Maybe you're thinking of Selanne? Played 4 years with Winnipeg before being traded to Anaheim.

(And -- those were the days -- four seasons in Europe before coming to North America after being drafted.)

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Wow Buffalo got Skinner for pretty much nothing. And within the same conference. How could the Sharks not top that? I guess they just weren't interested in him but I would have loved him on the Sharks. Sharks need one more good forward IMO and he would have been perfect. I hope this is not a case of them passing because think they can get Panarin.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Don't think the Sharks were interested in giving up that many draft picks if that's what Carolina was looking for. Not that they got great value for Skinner, it's just sj lacks a lot of picks to begin with.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
The skinner deal is a great one for SJ. The Sharks lack the cap space to add now, so they could not offer kindly in the offseason. Besides, To keep skinner long term is likely in the $7M range annually and I am very unsure he is worth that. I am fine that he is gone, and in all honestly, he may well be on the market again if buffalo sucks.

The great news is that a midlevel prospect, a 2nd, 3rd, and 6th is a pretty low price to pay. Generally, prices go down near the deadline as half the teams are out of the running, and teams dont want to overpay for rentals. The makes any of Panarin, Seguin, and Stone (the three biggest "difference makers") possibly alot more reasonable than expected (maybe a 1st, higher end prospect, and lower level roster player). Patches, Simmonds, Duchene and the rest of the 50-60 pt club look to be had for a 1st and a prospect as Skinner must be similar in value to those guys.

Dougie will stay quiet this offseason, but with upwards of 20M in cap space come the deadline, he will surely be active. Hopefully, alot of these teams struggle (flyers, habs, sens, stars, jackets...) and the market will be ripe with younger, impact targets. And, if one of Gambrell, Balcers, Suomela, or someone else performs surprisingly well, then their stock will soar and they can become the root of a deal to add a big name for the long term future.

Reactions: gaucholoco3

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Wow Buffalo got Skinner for pretty much nothing. And within the same conference. How could the Sharks not top that? I guess they just weren't interested in him but I would have loved him on the Sharks. Sharks need one more good forward IMO and he would have been perfect. I hope this is not a case of them passing because think they can get Panarin.

Sharks cant afford skinner now. His 5.7 would put them over the cap, and even if they moved some salary (karlsson) out, they would be bumping up against the cap, which means zero flexibility during the year. Also, Dougie promised the kids a chance, especially Suomela who is older and chose SJ on the basis of getting an NHL shot. Adding Skinner would potentially mean one less spot for the kids to compete for, and I think dougie sees no reason to jump the gun.

The sharks, as is, are very likely a playoff team. They still have a very strong set of forwards, a solid D, and great goaltending. They could use a difference maker up front, and maybe to begin to transition to a younger defense, but they dont NEED those guys to compete for the playoffs. This means dougie can be patient, see exactly what he has with his young forwards, see what happens with injuries, and then assess his exact needs in January and begin shopping then. At that point, cap space is no longer an issue, the prices should be the same or lower, and the needs will be very clear.

Dougie is in a perfect position, and waiting is the right thing to do.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Also, recognize that Dougie does not like renting impact players. When he trades for a young impact guy at the deadline or with just one year left (not like a Fehr or a Polak), he is usually thinking long term. Its hard to win bidding wars in UFA territory, but much easier with exclusive negotiating right and a player who already knows the organization.

He did this with Burns and Kane, also with Rivet, and tried to do it with Brian Campbell and Guerin.

I think whoever dougie targets midyear or at the deadline, he will be doing so with the full intention of a long-term extension. As such, I dont think he will try to get a guy who is overpaid, too old, or does not fit the character that he is trying to build. Otherwise, Hoffman would be a shark right now as he clearly has the talent, but Dougie was wary of the character. The knock on Skinner is potentially character as well as Carolina is clearly not happy with him. That seems strange for a team to be unhappy with their 26-year-old 1st liner. I think Panarin, Seguin, and Stone remain the top targets, as all three are point per game level players, rather than secondary guys like Patches who is a potential 30-30 guy, but already into the 30's, will decline quickly, and will cost not much less to keep than the other three (possibly 8M+). If you are going to acquire a player, and sign them long term, you wants someone 28 or younger and extremely impactful. Skinner is 28 or younger, but his impact-to-dollar ratio makes it a very questionable target. And, if they can play center, that's a nice bonus (though not required). Skinner doesn't quite hit those metrics.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Also, recognize that Dougie does not like renting impact players. When he trades for a young impact guy at the deadline or with just one year left (not like a Fehr or a Polak), he is usually thinking long term. Its hard to win bidding wars in UFA territory, but much easier with exclusive negotiating right and a player who already knows the organization.

He did this with Burns and Kane, also with Rivet, and tried to do it with Brian Campbell and Guerin.

I think whoever dougie targets midyear or at the deadline, he will be doing so with the full intention of a long-term extension. As such, I dont think he will try to get a guy who is overpaid, too old, or does not fit the character that he is trying to build. Otherwise, Hoffman would be a shark right now as he clearly has the talent, but Dougie was wary of the character. The knock on Skinner is potentially character as well as Carolina is clearly not happy with him. That seems strange for a team to be unhappy with their 26-year-old 1st liner. I think Panarin, Seguin, and Stone remain the top targets, as all three are point per game level players, rather than secondary guys like Patches who is a potential 30-30 guy, but already into the 30's, will decline quickly, and will cost not much less to keep than the other three (possibly 8M+). If you are going to acquire a player, and sign them long term, you wants someone 28 or younger and extremely impactful. Skinner is 28 or younger, but his impact-to-dollar ratio makes it a very questionable target. And, if they can play center, that's a nice bonus (though not required). Skinner doesn't quite hit those metrics.

Yeah, the knock on Hoffman and Skinner is character. That’s why we didn’t trade for them and instead we got a player who has been convicted of sexual assault and has been photographed being flipped off by his teammates, and we signed him to a 7X7 contract. Skinner provides more impact than Kane and makes less dollars right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille