NHL News/Notes XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
In line with what Kane's contract should have looked like?

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Not strictly relevant but is Winnipeg really offering Trouba $4M? That’s incredibly insulting.

From Tierney thread....

It's a starting point. At arbitration hearing, each side argues, based on comparibles, what their side thinks the deal should be.

Arbitrator takes the arguments into consideration when determining $$. (And unlike MLB arbitration does not have to chose either $$, but can do something in the middle.)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
By the numbers: Offseason grades for all 31 NHL teams

Athletic pundit (paywall) ranks all 31 teams based on off season moves (thus far).

Sharks - no additions (I take exception to this with Gambrell and other undrafted additions, although they were signed before the end of June); C. But believe that holes will be filled "from within". And beats on the "Sharks window closing". (Get some new material, dude.)

Reactions: Lebanezer

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
By the numbers: Offseason grades for all 31 NHL teams

Athletic pundit (paywall) ranks all 31 teams based on off season moves (thus far).

Sharks - no additions (I take exception to this with Gambrell and other undrafted additions, although they were signed before the end of June); C. But believe that holes will be filled "from within". And beats on the "Sharks window closing". (Get some new material, dude.)
The author is a leafs fan, as are many of the younger hockey writers on the Athletic. Their fandom is too obvious and their writing and even advanced statistics models favor the leafs. It’s unprofessional in my opinion. If you want to be a respected writer you can’t show personal bias.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The author is a leafs fan, as are many of the younger hockey writers on the Athletic. Their fandom is too obvious and their writing and even advanced statistics models favor the leafs. It’s unprofessional in my opinion. If you want to be a respected writer you can’t show personal bias.

I followed James Mirtle on Twitter before the trade deadline, along with many other insiders, in order to obtain insider information.

I had to unfollow him like 2 days after Tavares signed. I couldn’t take it for the exact reasons you’ve mentioned. He is just a biased kid who is a Leafs fan and it’s so terribly irritating to have to read him constantly tweeting out advertisements for his own articles.

I hate how The Athletic is slowly taking over hockey rumor culture.

Reactions: Lebanezer

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
With Iginla retiring, it just reminds me of how many times I saw people saying that Iginla was an HOF lock while Thornton was a maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad