NHL News/Notes XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Per Schmidt's statement, the amount of substance was equivalent to a pinch of salt in an Olympic size pool, could have occurred as the result of environmental exposure, and he received no performance advantage from it.

Already gone through one appeal (arbitrator). Could appeal further (to Bettman).

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
More terrific work oh ye drug warriors of the NHL. Carry on the good fight. Root out evildoers wherever they may be hiding and prevent addiction from taking root in the lives of those living in America. Jeff Sessions will buy the first round at the usual bar tonight.

On a more serious note, Vegas defense not looking so hot right now. Here's to hoping smchidt holds out into the season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Per Schmidt's statement, the amount of substance was equivalent to a pinch of salt in an Olympic size pool, could have occurred as the result of environmental exposure, and he received no performance advantage from it.

Already gone through one appeal (arbitrator). Could appeal further (to Bettman).

Bah. That's what they all say. He wouldn't even reveal what they found...highly suspicious...

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

Of course he's going to argue against it. But the "environmental exposure" argument is a joke, and the amount of substance found is irrelevant. That's not how labs work. Banned substances aren't just found floating in the air, mass spectrometry is a lot more meticulous, and he's the only player in the entire NHL that was recently caught.
It's possible that he took a drug that isn't exactly "performance enhancing" but is still on the PED list, something like ecstasy, but it's still a banned substance nonetheless.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Jarred Tinordi responds to 20-game suspension - Sportsnet.ca

Of course Marc Bergevin 'can't really tell' why he traded for John Scott

Tinordi was lying, too...he knew what he took and so did the Habs (can't really tell you why"). Otherwise they wouldn't have traded him for John Scott.
Schmidt is never gonna admit it but you don't get tested positive just like that. The NHL has to do something here. 20 games are not enough for somebody knowingly cheating. In other sports your career is pretty much over with a positive test.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
NHL players fire back at Jalen Ramsey: 'You can't even learn to skate in six months'
NHL players fire back at Jalen Ramsey: 'You can't even learn to skate in six months'

Creating bad blood

I didn't even know the guy and had to google him.
I couldn't care less about the American Football. It's just a bad copy of Rugby and the NFL, at least in my view, a bush league. No clue why it's so popular in the US. Playing NFL is very easy. There are players who hardly played the sport until after college and still became stars in the NFL. That's completely impossible in hockey...let alone the NHL. I couldn't think of a single hockey star who didn't practice hard from the age of 16/17 at least. Name me only one.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Btw, without searching for it I just read a story about Shaquem Griffin. Nice story but kinda supports my point. Try playing hockey with one hand. I'd like to see that.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I didn't even know the guy and had to google him.
I couldn't care less about the American Football. It's just a bad copy of Rugby and the NFL, at least in my view, a bush league. No clue why it's so popular in the US. Playing NFL is very easy. There are players who hardly played the sport until after college and still became stars in the NFL. That's completely impossible in hockey...let alone the NHL. I couldn't think of a single hockey star who didn't practice hard from the age of 16/17 at least. Name me only one.
The learning curve is much easier in Tuesday NFL for any position except quarterback. All of the tiny mental processes of reading defenses, deceiving defenders with just your eyes, cycling through receivers, or just knowing the pocket takes years. Smaller still then hockey. But I have never even heard of a modern qb not coming out of college that played on the NFL with any real ability. The amount of people who can do it are extremely small. There aren't even enough good starting quarterbacks to go around in the NFL.

That being said, football is a sport that relies more on sheer athleticism and strength then pure skill. It's also a game where injuries are much more frequent then hockey due it's very nature when they have high speed collisions. But it is much easier to get into.

Also understand that Jalen Ramsey likes to run his mouth and trash talk. It's kinda his thing. The NFL also likes stuff like this because it generates rivalries between teams and more interest in the game. I suggest laughing at his ignorance. He's probably laughing at NHL fans for caring so much

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The learning curve is much easier in Tuesday NFL for any position except quarterback. All of the tiny mental processes of reading defenses, deceiving defenders with just your eyes, cycling through receivers, or just knowing the pocket takes years. Smaller still then hockey. But I have never even heard of a modern qb not coming out of college that played on the NFL with any real ability. The amount of people who can do it are extremely small. There aren't even enough good starting quarterbacks to go around in the NFL.

That being said, football is a sport that relies more on sheer athleticism and strength then pure skill. It's also a game where injuries are much more frequent then hockey due it's very nature when they have high speed collisions. But it is much easier to get into.

Also understand that Jalen Ramsey likes to run his mouth and trash talk. It's kinda his thing. The NFL also likes stuff like this because it generates rivalries between teams and more interest in the game. I suggest laughing at his ignorance. He's probably laughing at NHL fans for caring so much

I don't think anybody actually cares. Just found it funny to read something like that coming from a guy playing in a ridiculous bush league like the NFL and who's also a total nobody outside the US. I'm not even sure how well known he is inside the US. But okay. You need stories like that over the summer if there's nothing else going on.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This summer is the one where Ramsey went from trash talker to blowhard.

Seriously. He's a great football player, but he needs to shut up.

As somebody who knows very little about the NDL, I would like to know: who is Jalen Ramsey’s NHL comparable? And I mean more in terms of skill and effectiveness and less in terms of position or style of play.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
As somebody who knows very little about the NDL, I would like to know: who is Jalen Ramsey’s NHL comparable? And I mean more in terms of skill and effectiveness and less in terms of position or style of play.

An elite shutdown center that obviously can't do anything on offense since he's a cornerback (defensive position)

He's probably a top five player at his position.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
An elite shutdown center that obviously can't do anything on offense since he's a cornerback (defensive position)

He's probably a top five player at his position.

I was thinking Vlasic (if we're assuming shutdown defenseman and not overall defenseman) :laugh:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
About 30 minutes after end of Sharks-VGK rookie game last night, VGK announced that they acquired Max Pacioretty from Montreal for Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki (just off the ice) and CBJ's 2nd round pick in 2019.

And still waiting for the EK65 shoe to drop.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Don't worry about it. He ain't no Primetime or Bo for that matter. He'll never score a touchdown in the NFL and a goal in the NHL in the same week; or be an all-star in both the NFL and the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad