NHL move to Winnipeg 'a step back'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retail1LO*

I'd personally take Winnipeg's winters over Phoenix's summers. Anything over 70 to me is hot. When it's cold, I put more clothing on until I get comfortable. When it's 90, much less 110, i can take it all off and it's still hot as balls. I'm a hockey fan. I like the cold.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
12 Thousand-ish were watching the Thrashers, Thousands more will watch in Winnipeg, and even more in Canada thanks to HNIC and TSN. You can bet CBC and TSN will show the new Jets because a lot of Canadians will want to watch the new Jets. The new Jets will not lose 20 Million a year, and actually make some sort of profit, as TNSE is competent.

Also, Jets gear has been flying off the shelves recently. FYI

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Good thing Winnipeg has an extensive network of skywalks and tunnels downtown so that everyone can live like the Mole People in winter, I guess.

You should rip the people of Minneapolis for constructing the same sort of system in their downtown then. It is a matter of convenience and of smart urban planning, not of living like mole people.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I'd personally take Winnipeg's winters over Phoenix's summers. Anything over 70 to me is hot. When it's cold, I put more clothing on until I get comfortable. When it's 90, much less 110, i can take it all off and it's still hot as balls. I'm a hockey fan. I like the cold.
But would you take Winnipeg's winter over a Sun Valley winter?

Winnipeg's Summer is fine. But there is no hockey then.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
People who scoff at Canadian winters are mostly southern snobs who shudder at the idea of -15 weather. We just wrap ourselves up and go on with our lives.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It's a step back because what's in front of you is a giant abyss. so you need to step back. Having teams in the south was a senseless experiment. (even though I think Nashville has not been so bad as a market)

Retail1LO*

Winnipeg will not add a single fan to the aggregate NHL base. Not turn on a single more telelvision, sell more merchandise, grow the market, telelvision or otherwise, in the future. In fact exactly the opposite as what Thrasher fans there were walk away. Winnipeg will cannabalize from fans of other canadian franchises, not create a single thing but a one time franchise fee which will put a couple million dollars in each of the other owner's pockets.

And that is nothing to be happy about if you are a NHL fan, and is exactly the reason Bettman, who is charged with growing the game, was so loathe to move teams north rather than south.

So, I take it you're of the opinion that the game can grow nowhere but in the south? I'm sure Wisconsin, Dakota, and Iowa residents are already Wild fans...everyone in Seattle is a Vancouver fan, and everyone in Houston is a Dallas fan. Putting teams in the aforementioned markets would simply canabalize fans from the others I named, right? So why bother?

The growth of hockey is important everywhere. The fact is, not everyone in Canada is a fan. And going forward, people are born, you know. They grow up either a fan of hockey or something else. It's not predetermined. Putting hockey in various places in Canada can help ensure the people growing up there are hockey fans, and not something else.

I live in the states. I've been to an NHL game in every city that's had a team since 1996. I just it aggravating when some people think that good ownership and a winning team are all you need to build a fan base. The fact is, and will always remain, that most people aren't fans of the NHL because they've never played themselves. While I agree that the presence of an NHL team helps create hockey at it's most youthful levels, the fact is hockey is THE most expensive sport you could ever hope to put a child through. Independent health insurance policy, ice time, travel, sticks, skates, shinguards, pants, shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves, helmet, visor.... And when you're a kid, you grow quickly, and this stuff has to be replaced fairly frequently. It's prohibitively expensive, and a reason that it's mostly played by whites. Hockey is always going to be a tough sell in the south. Anyone that says differently is kidding themselves. Yes...winning will bring an influx of bandwagoners that want to be seen in the presence of a winner...but it will take perpetual winning to really have any hope. And a couple teams are perpetually winning, some more are usually perpetually losing...and when they're in non-traditional markets, the margin for error is absolutely zilch.

Canada has the highest number of youths with plentiful exposure to the participation of, and viewing of hockey. It's a culture there. I think the NHL needs to use that as a strength.

If we're talking broadcast rights, what if half the teams were in the States, and half in Canada. Which TV contract do you think would be worth more? If all we're talking about is dollars and cents where the league is concerned, who cares where they come from? They're trying to squeeze nickles and dimes out of the south when they can be getting more dollars out of the north.

Retail1LO*

But would you take Winnipeg's winter over a Sun Valley winter?

Winnipeg's Summer is fine. But there is no hockey then.

Good. I don't want hockey in the summer. I want to be doing things outdoors like fishing, kayaking, hiking, and camping. Winter time is hockey time. I watch an inordinate amount of hockey, and as such, I spend my evenings indoors watching games. I don't care what the temperature is outdoors. When I'm doing other things, I'd prefer not to be at risk of heat stroke while sitting still, much less trying to be active.

I'm sure it'd be lovely to have Winnipeg summers and Sun Valley winters...but if I had to pick one place to live on climate alone, I'd pick Winnipeg. That's my personal choice. I wouldn't knock someone that was more fond of being able to cook eggs on their driveway 8 months out of the year.

Retail1LO*

So true.

Oooooh it is cold there! Newsflash; cold weather environments are from where the vast majority of NHL players come from.

Well said. I guess I'm too traditional in my thinking as a hockey fan to be sympathetic to the plights of people who live in areas where ice never grows thick enough to skate on.

At least they have golf year around, and NASCAR, and whatever. You don't see them trying to push that stuff north of the border. LOL

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
Well said. I guess I'm too traditional in my thinking as a hockey fan to be sympathetic to the plights of people who live in areas where ice never grows thick enough to skate on.

At least they have golf year around, and NASCAR, and whatever. You don't see them trying to push that stuff north of the border. LOL

We get 2 nascar races a year as opposed to Canada having an entire NASCAR series dedicated for them. And me, I hate NASCAR in general, I'm a staunch supporter of the Isle of Man TT till the day I die.

And honestly I don't expect you to feel sorry because I live here, if anything you could show some sympathy about someone losing their team though.

Retail1LO*

We get 2 nascar races a year as opposed to Canada having an entire NASCAR series dedicated for them. And me, I hate NASCAR in general, I'm a staunch supporter of the Isle of Man TT till the day I die.

And honestly I don't expect you to feel sorry because I live here, if anything you could show some sympathy about someone losing their team though.

Oh...you DO have my sympathy. Truly. Don't think otherwise. I don't live in Chicago, but obviously if the Blackhawks were to cease to be, I'd be beside myself. From a fan standpoint, I feel your pain. I'm just talking business, since that's the forum we're in...and hockey in Atlanta is like okra in Minnesota. Tough to sell.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Winnipeg will not add a single fan to the aggregate NHL base. Not turn on a single more telelvision, sell more merchandise, grow the market, telelvision or otherwise, in the future. In fact exactly the opposite as what Thrasher fans there were walk away. Winnipeg will cannabalize from fans of other canadian franchises, not create a single thing but a one time franchise fee which will put a couple million dollars in each of the other owner's pockets.

And that is nothing to be happy about if you are a NHL fan, and is exactly the reason Bettman, who is charged with growing the game, was so loathe to move teams north rather than south.

Your post would make sense if the NHL was run on some intangible currency known as 'fan support'.

Also, you completely discount the number of Winnipeg residents who have had nothing to do with the NHL since it left the city.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
So true.

Oooooh it is cold there! Newsflash; cold weather environments are from where the vast majority of NHL players come from.
Which is why when people grow up they pine for Miami and LA so much. Why would you want to back to the cold after spending your childhood there. And this is not just for Winnipeg, but in general.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
I've grown up in Ontario and Alberta and I don't yearn for any of those things. Canadian winters make Canadian summers that much more rewarding. Not to mention our summers are hot enough where we don't have to consume water every half hour to stay alive.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Which is why when people grow up they pine for Miami and LA so much. Why would you want to back to the cold after spending your childhood there. And this is not just for Winnipeg, but in general.

Some adults pine for that. Others like myself prefer to live in areas where there is a tangible change of season. Give me the mountains of Banff over anything you've posited, thanks.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
So now we are back to the weather debate crap again? Oy vey!

Don't worry. All it means is that the detractors have basically run out of things to argue. The logical jumping point from the weather debate will be an in-depth discourse about things to do in Winnipeg (or lack thereof), and then these goofy debates will have run their course...for the time being.

Seriously, are people going to get this hot and bothered if and when QC gets a team?

well if the peg does get a team back it will be nice for the oilers not to be the bottom of the league of where player dont want to go

Are you just trolling? These kind of posts seem out of character for you Stig.

Puckschmuck*

well if the peg does get a team back it will be nice for the oilers not to be the bottom of the league of where player dont want to go

You sound very bitter about Winnipeg returning to the NHL. Isn't it funny how we only heard those babies from phoenix ***** and complain about not wanting to play in cold weather, but not a peep out of any players in Atlanta? Care to explain that one? Let's not forget that there will be many players excited to play in Canadas newest team. There will always be players who don't want to play in different areas for different reasons, including the desert and the deep south.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad