NHL move to Winnipeg 'a step back'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
TAMPA - The NHL is going back to Winnipeg for one reason and one reason only.
It's not because it is a place where hockey "matters," as so many like to say.
It is not because of Manitobans love of the game.
Or because it is a desirable market (quite the opposite).
The reason is this: Faced with the choice of contracting the Atlanta Thrashers or moving to Winnipeg, the NHL is holding its nose and will back up the moving vans.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/20/nhl-move-to-winnipeg-a-step-back
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/05/20/nhl-move-to-winnipeg-a-step-back
Sun Media is two faced IMO.

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
I actually agree--in the way that this happened, it is a step back. The league was forced into this situation due to a complex team/arena ownership issue in which 2/3 they have absolutely no say or control. Under a different set of circumstances, an owner for the Thrashers could probably be found on the cheap.

I'm still wondering that if the Yotes are faced with relocation at the end of next season, whether (with a more stable arena situation in Atlanta) some local (Atlanta) owners would be ready and willing to buy the Yotes cheap, and what the NHL would do with a relocation fee in that case. Wouldn't that be a cluster****?

It's either that or to get back into the Atlanta market, they expand into it again with any prospective buyer looking into leasing from an arena that's already hosting one sports team (owned by the arena owner), which likely means getting bent over on the lease. Oy vey.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
This was a move of last resort for the NHL

That said, even with their market, the NHL was never going to work in Atlanta.

It's college sports state with the nfl and mlb in between.

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
This was a move of last resort for the NHL

That said, even with their market, the NHL was never going to work in Atlanta.

It's college sports state with the nfl and mlb in between.

Yep. Atlanta is a weeeeird sports market (really representative of most of the southeast save for central/south Florida, which really isn't like the rest of the southeast culturally) and I don't think the NHL really had any idea what they were getting into there.

zimmy61

Aug 17, 2009
It's a step back from the "dream" that was southern expansion and the billion dollar NFL type t.v. deal that would naturally follow.

A step back from Bettman and the Board's unrealistic fantasy back to reality. :laugh:

zimmy61

Aug 17, 2009
It only matters because of the "television market"
It was the only reason why a team was in Atlanta.

And as of a few weeks ago we've all seen what the television market was willing to pay for NHL rights. Relatively little.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
the only reason it is a step back is because thats the first step you make when you are doing the red river jig.

Dado

This would not be happpenning if we were in a 20 team league, so in a way, the article has a solid point.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
What fantasy world are these guys living in? Who cares that Atlanta has 2.4 million households when the most you're drawing is like 6000 households or whatever it was. These goofs have been chasing this huge American TV contract pipe dream for how many decades now? The NHL is not the NFL. American networks aren't going to throw billions of dollars at the NHL no matter what teams are in the league simply because hockey is a niche sport.

Also, I laugh at the bit about people not showing up when it's -30 in February. I could tell this guy is not from a cold weather city as he seems to think all activity comes to a stop when it's -30 outside.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I admit from a media standpoint why Sun Media, who earlier came out with a more positive article, would turn around and do a negative article?

I guess they felt the positive wasn't getting enough viewers, so now they go negative? I mean I know it's a tabloid, so I'm guessing this is just to get hits? (BTW, admittedly I have not read the articles, I will not Sun Media a click of my mouse)

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I'm not a fan of relocation but at least the NHL seems to be taking a step forward with recent ownership groups. Vinik, Pegula and TNSE all appear to be head and shoulders above some of the goofballs they had been letting in previously.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
They really need to do something about that arena... I imagine it's not possible to renovate and add on about 3000 seats. But then again, during the Flames 03-04 playoff run Saddledome capacity increased from some 17000 to the 19000 it is today.

zimmy61

Aug 17, 2009
I admit from a media standpoint why Sun Media, who earlier came out with a more positive article, would turn around and do a negative article?

Does seem a bit odd considering the owner of Sun will be looking to relocate another NHL team to a small market just as soon as Quebec gets that arena built. :sarcasm:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Are you referring to the most lucrative television deal the NHL has ever signed in its history?

I was going to say: 2 Billion over 10 years, 200 Million a year, the most the NHL has EVER gotten, isn't exactly peanuts. Is it small compared to MLB, NFL ect? Sure, but if I had said 5 years ago that the NHL was going to sign a 2 billion dollar 10 year deal with NBC (who would have merged with Versus) I would have had my face laughed in.

zimmy61

Aug 17, 2009
Are you referring to the most lucrative television deal the NHL has ever signed in its history?

That's the one. And you might notice I described the deal as "relatively little". Relative, as in comparison to what other leagues draw in T.V. rights. If it was truly lucrative, many of the NHL's problems would disappear but we all know that's not the case.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Does seem a bit odd considering the owner of Sun will be looking to relocate another NHL team to a small market just as soon as Quebec gets that arena built. :sarcasm:

Ah, but in that case, the Sun Media will Trumpet "This is a step FORWARD for the NHL!" ;)

You just put things in perspective-IE "We didn't get our team yet, so we're going to knock our newspaper competitor owner for getting one" ;)

netminder17

Sep 15, 2009
Atlanta
It is a step back, a competently run hockey team would thrive in Atlanta, just like in Dallas, Nashville, Carolina, Tampa. We have been losers our entire existence, and we've been run by some of the most idiotic, and awful people to ever run a sports franchise. I think Winnipeg should have a team, but not at the expense of the Atlanta market.

Ashe

Nov 27, 2007
Saskatoon SK
Anyone who doesn't think pulling a hockey team out of a city that has 5.5 million people, up and coming junion hockey teams that at least quadrupled in the short time it was here, and was slowly changing the perception of people, needs to get their heads checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->