NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE TEN! Part ONE!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Team fruit

I am torn between my two favorite fruits right now, but as someone who aspires to be able to make things, I find that bananas are more versatile. And they don't have to be refrigerated. I mean, you can, but you don't have to. It's the fruit I use the most in making things, including oatmeal.

upload_2021-6-18_17-2-17.jpeg

@mja

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
"[RANCH] for scientific method, [RANCH] for speed and efficiency but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton."

9b576bfa-39cd-4189-a9a6-2efbc60aeafc-1020x612.jpeg

For Team Explorer, the NJFZ are thrilled to take real life badass and leader of men, Sir Ernest Shackleton.

@CanadianFlyer88, Godspeed!
What, no write up? You can’t just say he’s a badass without telling us why he’s a badass!

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
v3sujdctnaa01.jpg

F***ing @CanadianFlyer88 almost gave me a heart attack last phase when he picked The Far Side - I have been sitting on the following choice for AGES. It's one of the few of my favorite things that I don't have covered yet. And the suggestion that The Far Side is the best comic ever is wrong. Not crazy, because it's right there around third place, but wrong. There are two greatest comic strips ever - one is Calvin and Hobbes, and the other is this beauty by a gonzo genius.

WashingtonPostWritersGroup.jpg

Team Wildcard II - Bloom County

P.S. Jack Straw tried to tell me that Doonesbury was better :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

AnOWBl.gif

199380420_348039783350214_5718884851448167011_n.jpg

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Kudos to @mja for choosing a real life explorer. There are certainly some fine choices out there.

As an organization with an aquatic theme, it seems appropriate for the Seattle Sockeyes to select someone who has achieved a remarkable feat in Earth Prime's oceans and lakes. Given the uncertainty of what the Quackverse has in store, it may also be appropriate to have someone who has experience in outer space, though.

However, this conundrum has an easy solution in the form of the newest member of the Seattle Sockeyes, Kathryn Sullivan. A native of Paterson, NJ, Sullivan studied earth sciences at UC Santa Cruz before completing her Geology PHD at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia in 1978. While at Dalhousie, she participated in multiple surveys in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, which would factor into a remarkable achievement in 2020.

But first, upon completing her PHD, Dr. Sullivan joined NASA in its first program to include female astronauts. She is the first American woman to complete a space walk, which she first did in 1984, spending nearly 3.5 hours in space on that exercise.

She was also part of the 1990 mission to space that launched Providence's team explorer, the Hubble Telescope.

She left NASA in 1993, having completed three trips to space and over 500 hours looking down on Earth from above.

Her post NASA career had her become the Chief Scientist for the National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration, President of COSI Columbus, and Director of Mathematics and Science Education Policy at Ohio State. She was also appointed to the National Science Board by George Bush in 2004 and became an Assistant Commerce Secretary in the Obama administration in 2011.

In 2020, she made history, again, by becoming the first woman and first astronaut to reach Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench (the deepest part of the oceans). This also made her the first person to both visit the deepest part of Earth and outer space.

Oh, and she was a member of the Naval Reserve, retiring as a Captain in 2006.

Pretty boring life, if you ask me.

http___com.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.jpeg.jpg

@FlyTimmo, what you got?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Antarctica right?

Yes, on multiple trips. Never reached the South Pole but came close. His mission to traverse the continent ended in disaster when his ship the Endurance became trapped in sea ice and eventually crushed by it. Miraculously, in no small part thanks to Shackleton's epic leadership in bewilderingly difficult circumstances and more than a little bit of good luck, the whole crew survived.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
As a nautical-themed franchise, it is only fitting that we select a nautical-themed explorer. Though more modern than we could have gone here, he fits in with both our name (taken broadly, he didn't go whaling), and our year.

While exploration had occurred at a limited scope in his area of expertise, nobody before or since has done more for the exploration of the oceans. His perfection of an on-demand regulator allowed free-swimming underwater breathing for the first time. By documenting through writing and video, he brought the scope of just what lay beneath the surface of the oceans to the mainstream, igniting an interest in millions who may never have given them a second thought otherwise. Like @mja's pick, his vessel got iced in in Antarctica, though tragically they did lose one member of their expedition then, to an accident with an aircraft propeller. Finally, he adds France to our tour of Europe. He also might have inspired a Bill Murray movie which we are told is good.

v9UBpQqUxvecLMK5ZxcXfG-1024-80.jpg.webp

Team Explorer: Jacques Cousteau

@Magua

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
When picking our personal team chef, it’s just as much about the person as the food. The Ghibli want someone who can be woven into the fabric of our positive thinking team. Someone who the players greet warmly each and every day. Someone who can speak some common sense, gift us with sound advice, and perhaps even provide some lovely singing entertainment while we eat. And sure, some comfort food wouldn’t hurt.

And so, with a warm, "Hello there, Ghibli!”, the Honolulu Ghibli are greeted by their new Team Chef……"Chef"!

200.gif
200.gif
200.gif

The salisbury steak will be plentiful, and the chocolate salty balls will nourish our bodies and souls!

giphy.gif

@Magua -- you're up!

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Yes, on multiple trips. Never reached the South Pole but came close. His mission to traverse the continent ended in disaster when his ship the Endurance became trapped in sea ice and eventually crushed by it. Miraculously, in no small part thanks to Shackleton's epic leadership in bewilderingly difficult circumstances and more than a little bit of good luck, the whole crew survived.
What a beast

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If there’s one thing to know about the Ghibli’s vaguely esteemed creator, it’s that he loves movies and movie history. Choosing one director is a real [Ranch]'s Choice, but the organization believes our top choice is safe. If this director gets sniped, bless the team that snipes him/her!

So, let’s make a value pick and go for the film score that simply must be ours, my fellow film buffs…..

The Honolulu Ghibli choose with gusto: Vertigo by Bernard Herrmann.

This is my favorite classic movie score without question -- I don't think there's one better. If I hear that famous leitmotif, I pretty much go into a fugue state, which is thematically appropriate. Listening to the “Prelude” for the first time, as the opening credits play, is a transcendental film experience. It doesn't matter how many viewings, you're not escaping its dreamy, otherworldly tethers.

This masterpiece of a score is integral to that masterpiece of a film. It's not background music; it's front and center; it's communicates every last drop of emotion and character in the film. Herrman so beautifully runs the emotional gamut: moving from frenzied to serene, mystery to epiphany, temptation to terror. And not just over the scope of the score -- I'm talking within single pieces.

@ajgoal -- late nite picks, eh?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad