NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE TEN! Part ONE!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
When you hear the elephant trumpet, it is time to wake up, even if it is not an elephant trumpeting, but rather your partner farting in their sleep.

I am the partner of your urine nightmares, and I just farted.

So wake up.

cPz96CU.png

We start the weekend with @ajgoal on the clock, @JojoTheWhale, who has one from the past and one from the future sitting there like the guy Han Tae-Sul from that Korean time-travel series I watched, and I can't believe I remembered his name, Tae-Sul's, not Jojo's, on deck, and then @FlyTimmo over there on the lido deck with a handful of shit, ready to turn that handful of shit into a shit patty and apply it to the facade of Shit Mountain and make it both more mountainous and shittier.

Last night, Asian Cinema Night started out as Caucasian Cinema Night with "Free Fire" on Netflix. Brie Larson is in it, and as you know, I love her and lust for her. She did a good job, mostly because it wasn't made by whoever made the awful "Captain Marvel." Arm & Hammer is also in it, who Jojo will not recognize twice from "The Social Network," which he didn't watch. And then Cillian Murphy, who is one of my favorites. The film is set in the early 70s and takes place entirely in an abandoned warehouse. Early on there are some comments which make you think it is tone-deaf, even for 2016 when it was made, but soon enough the situation turns to shit and it's all about the shooting. It's pretty entertaining, even though it is mostly pointless violence.

Then I watched a Japanese film which I think Netflix calls "The Family" and Letterboxd calls "Yakuza and the Family." Whatever it's called, it is pretty good. It shows small-time yakuza life in the early 21st century, then the way that whole lifestyle was basically eradicated by the current day. Like "The Sopranos," it does a great job of showing the pathetic side of these bullies when they are themselves bullied. It's a character study of a loser who reaches the top, then sinks to the bottom, but holds on to his misguided romantic ideals. Pretty highly recommended.

Now I have things to do, so make your picks when you have time and try not to open fire on each other.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
We admit, we've been distinctly Euro-centric. Let's change that, shall we?

His films are deeply and distinctly the product of his homeland, but resonate strongly across cultural lines. Some of the most recognizable westerns are direct transplants of his films into that genre. There's really not enough we can say about the quality of his work. If you have not watched any of his films, do so, this weekend. You're doing yourself a favor.

Akira-Kurosawa.jpg

Team Director: Akira Kurosawa

@JojoTheWhale has two in the chamber.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
When picking our personal team chef, it’s just as much about the person as the food. The Ghibli want someone who can be woven into the fabric of our positive thinking team. Someone who the players greet warmly each and every day. Someone who can speak some common sense, gift us with sound advice, and perhaps even provide some lovely singing entertainment while we eat. And sure, some comfort food wouldn’t hurt.

And so, with a warm, "Hello there, Ghibli!”, the Honolulu Ghibli are greeted by their new Team Chef……"Chef"!

200.gif
200.gif
200.gif

The salisbury steak will be plentiful, and the chocolate salty balls will nourish our bodies and souls!

giphy.gif

@Magua -- you're up!
Pick of the draft here folks.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
We admit, we've been distinctly Euro-centric. Let's change that, shall we?

His films are deeply and distinctly the product of his homeland, but resonate strongly across cultural lines. Some of the most recognizable westerns are direct transplants of his films into that genre. There's really not enough we can say about the quality of his work. If you have not watched any of his films, do so, this weekend. You're doing yourself a favor.

Akira-Kurosawa.jpg

Team Director: Akira Kurosawa

@JojoTheWhale has two in the chamber.

So many great picks in this category.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Team Pizza: Pepperoni and Shallots from Lucali

o.jpg

Ignore the mushrooms, please. Apparently no one can take a decent picture of this particular variety. It is pretty dark inside to be fair. A pie looks more like this:

Lucali_x_The_Nice_Guy_.jpg

I haven’t been to Lucali in a few years now. Quite frankly it’s become so popular that it’s impossible to go. But at its heart, it’s still a one location restaurant opened by a marble and granite fabricator from the neighborhood who wanted to save the shuttering local candy shop of his youth. So he rented the space and then had to figure out what it was going to sell.

As he tells it, he went into the legendary Di Fara Pizza and saw “...this old man hunched over the counter, making pies. I immediately thought of my grandmother.” He then spent the next two years renovating the space himself at night and learning how to make pizza, which he had never done before. He even built the oven himself.

The pizza itself is wood-fired, somehow super thin and still crispy. The cheese comes in layers — low-moisture mozzarella as the base, then buffalo mozzarella on top, finished by after-cooking grated Grana Padano. Yes, that is fresh, uncooked basil on top. It may look weird but it cuts through the creaminess of the cheese perfectly.

@FlyTimmo Go time.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Charlie? As in the VietCong?
No as in Charles White Jr, aka moistcr1tkal aka Cr1TiKaL aka penguinz0

I am among his top 10 longest tenured twitch subs and have been subbed on YouTube since he was below 100k. Since like 2013

Also, this is heavily NSFW. Language.

Reactions: Lord Defect

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
No as in Charles White Jr, aka moistcr1tkal aka Cr1TiKaL aka penguinz0

I am among his top 10 longest tenured twitch subs and have been subbed on YouTube since he was below 100k. Since like 2013

Also, this is heavily NSFW. Language.

I think Official NJFZ Team Notable Fan Samuel L. speaks for all of us:

tenor.gif

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
We've already selected our team transport vehicle from one of his movies, so it is only fitting that we formally link him, as well.

This pick will.also reunite him with our team notable fan.

In my youth, I saw many of his movies without understanding just how layered they actually were. I just spent my time laughing a lot.

The Seattle Sockeyes are thrilled to select Mel Brooks as our team director.

brRXB4fD2zSiqi5Q2a1NsSc46hbUZX1Aje39WFHQztI.jpg

@mja, we'll meet again in Spaceballs II: the Search for More Money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->