NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE EIGHT! Part Two!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Oh, shit.
upload_2021-5-21_10-57-45.gif

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hot take time. I'm not sure Tretiak was the best European Goalie of the 70s. He performed the best against Canadian teams, but we have a much larger sample size to draw on than that. If you're a peak-leaning thinker as I am, it very well might have been the M.A.D. Cats' Re-Draft of the Darwin Debacle, Backup Legends Goalie Jiri Holeček.

722125bb65d4505eabb2a7f7d1326263.jpg

Let's start with Save Percentage. Over their careers, Holecek and Tretiak were functionally identical there despite Holecek having a much larger fall off in play pre and post peak as well as Tretiak retiring much earlier. One might be tempted to say that the defensive style of the CSSR teams aided this, but we now know that the opposite is true. Save Percentage is in fact negatively impacted by playing behind teams who allow less Shots.

Holecek's case essentially comes down to his 1971 to 1978 peak where he was the Starter for the CSSR national team, but his domestic accomplishments were just as impressive. In those 8 years that coincided with the peak of Czechoslovakian domestic play, he won the TIP Magazine award for best Goalie 7 times. He lead all Goalies in Golden Stick (MVP) voting 6 times. He won the Golden Stick once and placed 2nd to all-time great Vladimir Martinec two other times.

There's also a key disconnect at play here because Tretiak was the one who became famous and indeed played best in North America. But during the 70s, the European hockey community preferred Holecek and often RANCH as well. We have various quotes attesting to this from people who have done extensive research like Joe Pelletier:

Joe Pelletier said:
The Czechoslovakian team was predicted to face Canada in the final by most experts as they brought the same team that won the 1976 World Championship a few months prior. Their goaltender, Jiri Holeček, was considered the best in the world outside the NHL

If you look at performance in the World Championships, it's Holecek who again comes out ahead. Tretiak was named the Best Goalie and an All-Star 3 times. Holecek managed each of these accomplishments 5 times. Both of these are still records today. The 5 best positional wins is also tied for the most ever for any position with Slava Fetisov. In fact, during Holecek's peak, the CSSR national team performed nearly as well as the far more talented USSR teams:

USSR: 5 x Gold, 2 x Silver, 1 x Bronze
CSSR: 3 x Gold, 4 x Silver, 1 x Bronze

The key detail that we need to keep in mind when comparing the two in Europe is that Holecek managed all of this despite Tretiak never having to play against the USSR and thus the most talented and offensively dominant teams of their era.

@Striiker Please tag FlyTimmo instead. I'm on my way out the door for the day, so Cap graciously allowed me to post this early.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Hot take time. I'm not sure Tretiak was the best European Goalie of the 70s. He performed the best against Canadian teams, but we have a much larger sample size to draw on than that. If you're a peak-leaning thinker as I am, it very well might have been the M.A.D. Cats' Re-Draft of the Darwin Debacle, Backup Legends Goalie Jiri Holeček.

722125bb65d4505eabb2a7f7d1326263.jpg

Let's start with Save Percentage. Over their careers, Holecek and Tretiak were functionally identical there despite Holecek having a much larger fall off in play pre and post peak as well as Tretiak retiring much earlier. One might be tempted to say that the defensive style of the CSSR teams aided this, but we now know that the opposite is true. Save Percentage is in fact negatively impacted by playing behind teams who allow less Shots.

Holecek's case essentially comes down to his 1971 to 1978 peak where he was the Starter for the CSSR national team, but his domestic accomplishments were just as impressive. In those 8 years that coincided with the peak of Czechoslovakian domestic play, he won the TIP Magazine award for best Goalie 7 times. He lead all Goalies in Golden Stick (MVP) voting 6 times. He won the Golden Stick once and placed 2nd to all-time great Vladimir Martinec two other times.

There's also a key disconnect at play here because Tretiak was the one who became famous and indeed played best in North America. But during the 70s, the European hockey community preferred Holecek and often RANCH as well. We have various quotes attesting to this from people who have done extensive research like Joe Pelletier:

If you look at performance in the World Championships, it's Holecek who again comes out ahead. Tretiak was named the Best Goalie and an All-Star 3 times. Holecek managed each of these accomplishments 5 times. Both of these are still records today. The 5 best positional wins is also tied for the most ever for any position with Slava Fetisov. In fact, during Holecek's peak, the CSSR national team performed nearly as well as the far more talented USSR teams:

USSR: 5 x Gold, 2 x Silver, 1 x Bronze
CSSR: 3 x Gold, 4 x Silver, 1 x Bronze

The key detail that we need to keep in mind when comparing the two in Europe is that Holecek managed all of this despite Tretiak never having to play against the USSR and thus the most talented and offensively dominant teams of their era.

@Striiker Please tag FlyTimmo instead. I'm on my way out the door for the day, so Cap graciously allowed me to post this early.
Coward

Snoop stays a Plat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad