NHL is putting more ads on the ice surface

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Rather than increase the number of ads on the ice surface, the NHL should just charge a larger fee for the current 4 spots between the blue lines. Those spots are highly visible and exclusive since there currently aren't any other areas on the ice where there are any other ads. The more ads you have on the ice, the less people will notice them as there would simply be too many to focus one's attention on. The teams have no problem jacking up ticket prices every year so there should be no problem for the league to increase the cost to companies that want ad space on the ice.

:jets

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Don’t play for the name on the back, play for the name on the front.....
So, Anaheim Ducks across the Back, and Honda on front.....

Should be awesome

The Los Angeles Honda Pilots of Anaheim is catchy

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
When the Jets 2.0 started in Winnipeg they didn't have the ads ready to go.

Kinda weird to watch in retrospect. Even the smallest community rinks will have board ads nowadays.

To me, that looks absolutely great. Logo at center ice and nothing else is perfect. Will a few more ads on the ice be the end of the world? No. But the purity of that look is wonderfully refreshing. I also really enjoyed the old Olympic boards where they had special olympic graphics, but no ads. Sadly, there were ads this last time around, so that's probably gone.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Here is a paradox - one NHL owner fought tooth and nail over putting ads on the boards and his team was the last to do so.

Dollar-Bill-Wirtz.jpg

Reactions: Killion

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I'm used to this (without the green and yellow circles) and if the NHL ever decided to go that far, I'd be okay with it.

5iRebH9.jpg

This is an old picture, based on the old scoreboard in the old arena, maybe 2010 or earlier? I used to notice the Kohl's, Subway and Briggs ads.

On TV games, I might notice an ad for Leprino on the boards in Denver, but that would be about it.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Here is a paradox - one NHL owner fought tooth and nail over putting ads on the boards and his team was the last to do so.

On this I agreed with him however I have my doubts it had anything much to do with "tradition" or keeping the canvas clean. Junking the place up as it did, has and continues to do unabated. In Dollar Bills case likely much more to do with costs, fear of influence that corporate sponsors would expect in catering to their requirements & demands... profit & taxes. Combined just not worth it. The "tradition" angle providing for a good cover story.

Very strange Man who for whatever reasons when it came to the Black Hawks seemed to deliberately keep his boot on their throats, TV dealeo, losing millions when in every other aspect of his business dealings, very astute... Then theres his Father. When Zamboni's started taking ice surfacing by storm in the early 50's, his Dad had issues with those things.. Chicago the last NHL Club to get one as he felt people rather than heading out of their seats & spending money on concessions during intermissions would instead sit there entranced, watching the Zamboni go round & round & round & round....

Regardless of era, be it Zamboni's or wall~wall, floor to rafters advertising, wheres the respect for your customers, fans, audiences intelligence quotients, IQ's? Hypnotized by a frickin tractor going 5-10mph? Being told when to clap, when to boo? Paying in some cases $600 or more for 2 seats to a Regular Season Game & these guys arent making enough that they have to paper the joint? Not good.... "Oh, but costs, ever escalating. Must keep ticket prices down... why, do you know how much the cost of airplane fuels increased in just the last 2 years?... Clubs taking in the teeth.".... Be it increased sponsorships or Lockouts, trot out the same old same old.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I happen to notice that beside the trapezoid lines by the nets in all the NHL arenas they now have advertisements painted in those areas. I'm just wondering does anyone think it's a weird place for them or maybe it's because for years we have only seen 4 adds that are right by the red line and the teams logo at centre.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
NHL is the only sport that allows ads on the playing surface. I still don't like it. I rather see 1-2 ads on the jersey than 8 on the playing surface.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
NHL is the only sport that allows ads on the playing surface. I still don't like it. I rather see 1-2 ads on the jersey than 8 on the playing surface.

uhhhhhh no...

CFL:

11-corporate-800x534.jpg

AFL:

images

Rugby:

jp-morgan.jpg

Cricket:

Stadiums-Cricket-GrassAds.jpg

And if you want to get picky, what do you count as an ad?

NBA: (Amway Centre)

45821101.cms

MLB: (Pay attention to the walls as well. Is that not a playing surface?

roger-centre-advertising.jpg

The only one I couldn't find was NFL, and even then, they used to have ads:

NFL+On+Field+Ads.jpg

Last edited:

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
There. Is. No. Clutter. Nobody is even going to notice these. If they just put these ads on the ice without saying anything would anyone even notice or make a big deal about it? No.

My good man, if nobody didn't notice this, we wouldn't have had the reaction about it.

I can see you are defending the decision vigorously.

But there is clutter.

It is ugly.

It is off-putting.

And for those of you who talk about ads in the ice in Europe: probably depending on the country, but we don't have commercial breaks inside the periodes.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
My good man, if nobody didn't notice this, we wouldn't have had the reaction about it.

I can see you are defending the decision vigorously.

But there is clutter.

It is ugly.

It is off-putting.

It's one ad, in the corners where basically no action happens and no cameras are focused. If you want to be upset about ads on the ice, complaining about this one is not the way to go.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I fully expect that the new arena Melnyk wants to build in Ottawa will look something like this

NHL-Ice-Ads.jpg

This is an abomination of the sport of hockey, you are supposed to see the puck being passed. I feel sorry for the people who have to put up with watching hockey on that garbage.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Hockey has always had a big problem as a TV-sport: It is hard to see the puck. This problem is probably even bigger for people who is more or less new to the sport, as they don't really know where to find it by instinct.

Now, better TVs might help NHL to gain ground on this crowd.

It is IMHO not smart to ruin this by adding confusing adds instead. And yeah, don't try to deny it: they are confusing. Especially to the casual viewer.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You compare the big North American sports and hockey puts way too much advertising on the playing surface.

NFL - Team logo at midfield, not even the name of the stadium is on the playing surface. End zones are coloured with the team colours.

MLB - advertising on the outfield walls.

NBA - team logo at mid court and the stadium name is written on sidelines just past mid court. They just had their 1st year of ads on jerseys.

MLS - Ad signs on the sidelines. Ads on jerseys.... I can live with some ads on jerseys, but why is the biggest logo on a jersey the main corporate sponsor and not the team logo? That's overkill IMO. It would look weird if the NHL ever copied soccer and made the NHL logo smaller and moved it to the opposite side of the C/A letters and put a corporate logo as the main feature of a jersey.

Only the CFL, due to lower tv fees and capacity I can understand them putting more ads on the field. There's like 10 spots for ads on the field. Plus they have ads on the jerseys, 2 of them right where the chest and shoulders meet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad