NHL is putting more ads on the ice surface

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
NBA - team logo at mid court and the stadium name is written on sidelines just past mid court. They just had their 1st year of ads on jerseys.
I don't know if any changed for this up coming season, but last season there was some teams who did not have any advertisements on their jerseys. They either couldn't come to an agreement with a sponsor and thought to wait 1 year until they could. Here is a link of what teams already had them going into last season.

An ongoing list of every NBA sponsor patch for 2017-18 season

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know if any changed for this up coming season, but last season there was some teams who did not have any advertisements on their jerseys. They either couldn't come to an agreement with a sponsor and thought to wait 1 year until they could. Here is a link of what teams already had them going into last season.

An ongoing list of every NBA sponsor patch for 2017-18 season

A shame to see the NBA going down the slippery slope of ruining their jerseys with ads.

:jets

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You compare the big North American sports and hockey puts way too much advertising on the playing surface.

NFL - Team logo at midfield, not even the name of the stadium is on the playing surface. End zones are coloured with the team colours.
Plus NFL-sanctioned advertising on field and player equipment.

MLB - advertising on the outfield walls.
Plus physical and digital signage behind home plate. And numerous scoreboard ads that receive tons of screentime due to the nature of fly balls.

NBA - team logo at mid court and the stadium name is written on sidelines just past mid court. They just had their 1st year of ads on jerseys.
Plus both painted and LED ads along sidelines. Not to mention the ads on the hoops themselves.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Advertising is so weird.

Like has anyone actually went out and bought something because they've seen the name on the boards? I get name recognition, if you're starting out but places like McDonalds.. why?

Starbucks doesn't do advertising on TV or boards, it's not like I forget they exist anymore than Tim Horton's. Costco, no ads, I still shop there. I've never watched a hockey game and was like "oh wow, check out the ad for Wendy's superimposed on the glass, I will now choose them over Arby's, the next time I feel like eating!"

Only time I can remember in last 20 years noticing an ad on the boards was when that Chinese company started being everywhere written in another language. Had to Google who the hell they were, import export something or other? Why are they even advertising to fans? Money laundering racket I'm guessing.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I go to many games and frankly could not tell you who the ads were from, on the boards or ice, but the full ad clutter on the ice during international games is a eye cluttering mess at my age whether I am actually cognizant of the advertiser or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad