NHL is putting more ads on the ice surface

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I fully expect that the new arena Melnyk wants to build in Ottawa will look something like this

NHL-Ice-Ads.jpg

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I prefer this than on the jerseys.
It isn't like the jerseys will always be safe. As long as there are potential ways for corporations to make free money, they are going to do it. Jerseys will just likely come close to last on the pecking order.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
It isn't like the jerseys will always be safe. As long as there are potential ways for corporations to make free money, they are going to do it. Jerseys will just likely come close to last on the pecking order.

NBA has already broke the jersey barrier with small ad patches. Unless people complain they will only get more intrusive. Ad industry works this way. Just look at the Internet.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
One or 2 ads at a time...then one then another.

One day most of the ice will be covered and it will seems natural. Watching old games with the white boards just look strange now.

The rich need to get richer it seems!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Well not really. The ads are going to be below the goal line in the corner. There's not a whole lot of action that you're going to need to see there.

The whole reason the NHL is doing this is because they estimate a whole lot of action in the corners. Like 30% of the entire game.

NHL opens new sponsor inventory in the ice

The league estimates that each spot will have about 20 to 25 minutes of exposure during every game. Given that, Wachtel said he expects these positions could provide the teams with up to eight figures of incremental revenue per season, while the NHL’s ability to sell the positions during the playoffs will provide the league a similar amount

Wachtel said that he and the league are very bullish on the value of these positions, and fielding feedback during its test runs. The league has not yet signed any partnerships for these positions for next year’s playoffs. Despite the new inventory, he stressed the NHL does not want to imitate European hockey leagues, which cover their surfaces with advertising.

:laugh: at the "NHL does not want to imitate European hockey leagues". It's coming.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Yeah, exposure in the corners. You're going to see the ads in the corners. It's not going to do anything to make the puck harder to see. Instead of white ice in the corners now you're going to see some logo or writing or something. It's not a big deal. How do I know this? Because the AHL team in my city has had these ads in the corners for years (and many other ads in places the NHL doesn't) and it has absolutely no effect on the viewing experience either live or on TV.

Reactions: adsfan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hell, when there's actually action in the corners you can't see the ice or the puck anyway. All you see in the players battling along the boards for a puck that you know is somewhere between one of their skates.

Ads on the ice in the corners are less intrusive than the digital ads that have been inserted on the glass itself for TV broadcasts.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I'm not sure they are going to get 8 figures for the home team for this. Just not sure. Think about it....

Who actually sees it? Anything on the ice from Blue line to blue line is gone from your TV in a blur as the puck moves through. Only is the corners does the puck stay long enough for the TV audience to see the sponsorship.

For the rest of the ice, that means that whoever buys the spot is only advertising to the in-house crowd, and I don't think that would be as lucrative.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm not sure they are going to get 8 figures for the home team for this. Just not sure. Think about it....

Who actually sees it? Anything on the ice from Blue line to blue line is gone from your TV in a blur as the puck moves through. Only is the corners does the puck stay long enough for the TV audience to see the sponsorship.

For the rest of the ice, that means that whoever buys the spot is only advertising to the in-house crowd, and I don't think that would be as lucrative.

Of course people watching on TV can see it.

xOJ5hUE.jpg

FbUiKFD.jpg

Reactions: Hivemind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->