NHL is putting more ads on the ice surface

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
It makes me appreciate the NFL more and more - no ads on the field and none on the jerseys. That's the main reason I don't watch soccer. When Toronto FC plays the Montreal Impact it just looks like BMO vs BMO. No thanks.
The NHL is on a slippery slope to when it will look no different than the games in Europe including the officials that will be wearing a cow pattern to advertise for a milk company. God help us. :eyeroll:

:jets

Reactions: cptjeff and Llama19

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Of course people watching on TV can see it.

xOJ5hUE.jpg

FbUiKFD.jpg

I think you misunderstood. The pictures you showed are of the corners. That's where the puck stops.

But, think about the area to the side of the center circle. Of course, you can take a single frame shot of the puck going through there and say "See, of course they can see it...." But it seems to me that, in that area of the ice, the puck moves through so fast that the viewer on TV is not going to notice the ad on the ice.

Now, I should admit that, every shot before the game and during play stoppages will clearly show the advertising. And, perhaps that is what Pepsi, or whoever, will be buying.

But, generally, I think the NHL is right that the corners are more lucrative that the rest of the ice.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Here's a picture from Philly. You can see the ACME grocery store add in the top right. (Well, top right of the ice surface, top left of the picture.)

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I think you misunderstood. The pictures you showed are of the corners. That's where the puck stops.

But, think about the area to the side of the center circle. Of course, you can take a single frame shot of the puck going through there and say "See, of course they can see it...." But it seems to me that, in that area of the ice, the puck moves through so fast that the viewer on TV is not going to notice the ad on the ice.

Now, I should admit that, every shot before the game and during play stoppages will clearly show the advertising. And, perhaps that is what Pepsi, or whoever, will be buying.

But, generally, I think the NHL is right that the corners are more lucrative that the rest of the ice.

But does anyone look at any ad during gameplay? Even the ads on the boards across from the main camera, I could watch a game and not be able to tell you who the advertisers were between the blue lines. It's probably more for faceoffs where the camera is fixed on that position for a few seconds waiting for the puck to drop than it is during actual game play and they might come back from a commercial with a camera angle that shows whatever company advertises there. Just saying that you can see the ads during game play and it's probably more visible from different camera angles used during games and while waiting for a faceoff or a player skating back for an icing with no challenge where the viewer isn't going to be watching to see which skater hits the hashmarks first.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
That ad is perfectly fine and nobody should have a problem with it.

I agree with this. That small area behind the end line in the corner is too small for anyone to put a garrish ad in there. It's just going to names of companies.

Again, I wonder how much that is really worth to ACME or whoever?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Here's the thing.... do you really notice those on ice, or board ads, or glass projected ads? I couldn't even guess what the Hawks ice ads were after any individual game, as they're background noise to me that my eyes gloss over due to being so used to seeing ads. I can't imagine that they have much of an ROI for the investing companies, and if they go the Euro route with a huge number of ads it becomes a cluttered mess that you can't make out any individual one through the noise.

Reactions: AdmiralsFan24

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Here's the thing.... do you really notice those on ice, or board ads, or glass projected ads? I couldn't even guess what the Hawks ice ads were after any individual game, as they're background noise to me that my eyes gloss over due to being so used to seeing ads. I can't imagine that they have much of an ROI for the investing companies, and if they go the Euro route with a huge number of ads it becomes a cluttered mess that you can't make out any individual one through the noise.

When the Jets 2.0 started in Winnipeg they didn't have the ads ready to go.

Kinda weird to watch in retrospect. Even the smallest community rinks will have board ads nowadays.

Reactions: AmericanDream

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
Not sure why the talk is "better on the ice than on the jerseys" when they're aiming for both.

You'll see ads on jerseys soon enough. It's extra money they're not going to turn down.

Ads on jerseys have absolutely no impact on how the game is watched.

Reactions: awfulwaffle

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
But does anyone look at any ad during gameplay? Even the ads on the boards across from the main camera, I could watch a game and not be able to tell you who the advertisers were between the blue lines. It's probably more for faceoffs where the camera is fixed on that position for a few seconds waiting for the puck to drop than it is during actual game play and they might come back from a commercial with a camera angle that shows whatever company advertises there. Just saying that you can see the ads during game play and it's probably more visible from different camera angles used during games and while waiting for a faceoff or a player skating back for an icing with no challenge where the viewer isn't going to be watching to see which skater hits the hashmarks first.

The general way I always look at it is the people whose job it is to market/sell stuff are also going to be good at selling companies that their services are highly valuable. I mean outside of the basic psychology principal I can't see how spending millions to put your company name on a little spot of ice or a patch on a jersey will convince enough people to buy something to make the cost worthwhile, but if you work in marketing you have a heavily vested interest in making sure all your research material shows this is exactly what happens.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As someone that watches the AHL, I can say with certainty that you really stop noticing the ads in the corners pretty quickly

Reactions: Hivemind

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Great way to make seeing the puck more difficult.

So this. One of the league's biggest problems vs football and basketball is difficulty for new fans to see the puck. Adding more and more adds onto the surface sure doesn't help that presentation aspect. Selling out hockey's presentation aesthetic for a bit of lucre, pretty dumb.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
When the Jets 2.0 started in Winnipeg they didn't have the ads ready to go.

Kinda weird to watch in retrospect. Even the smallest community rinks will have board ads nowadays.

1. Omg Byfuglien
2. That looks awesome

MLB >> everything for ads in game

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
You'll see ads on jerseys soon enough. It's extra money they're not going to turn down.

The question is, where does it end? Once the ice and uniforms are all just advertising and you can't see nothing but ads, they'll still need more money because they always do. I guess they can make the players wear advertising decals on their faces but at some point there'll be no ad space left.

Ads on jerseys have absolutely no impact on how the game is watched.

They do in a way. For example, there are some North American fans who won't watch games from Europe because of all the ads on the uniforms and ice surface. There's a risk to the NHL that those same fans will stop watching altogether because of all the ads (mind pollution). However, it's unlikely that new fans are going to choose to watch hockey for the ads.

:jets

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
So this. One of the league's biggest problems vs football and basketball is difficulty for new fans to see the puck. Adding more and more adds onto the surface sure doesn't help that presentation aspect. Selling out hockey's presentation aesthetic for a bit of lucre, pretty dumb.

Serious question. Do you have any idea where these ads are going? Because this is the least obstructive place on the ice for ads to be. It has absolutely no effect on the viewer watching on TV or the viewer at the game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad