NHL is damaging its reputation with useless ASG and missing Olympics

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The players are under contract.

If they REALLY want to go, they can breach and put their guaranteed contracts in jeopardy.

What's that? They decided that they won't breach?

Quelle surprise
I know I would as soon as I have the first million in the bank.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
They did the 180 because realistically there are no real amateur athletes and it's very easy to work around that status.
And why do you think that wrestling et al are in the Olympics? Because theyy are such a huge draw? Or why baseball isn't despite potential spectators?
Yes, it's their right as a private company. It's still dirty.
But you just said that the Ioc IS the draw. That the talent doesn't matter, that as long as they show the rings the chest thumping nationalistic rubes will eat it up no matter HOW crappy the talent is.

If this were true ( and it's not) there is no incentive to get the best players.

People want to see the best on best. For hockey that means NHL participation.

Without it, it's a shinier less talented world shampionships ( I.e the best of the rest tournament)

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I know I would as soon as I have the first million in the bank.
And none of the players did. Those who said they would folded faster than Las Vegas on the pk.

If you want that million in the bank, the Ioc is still looking for cronies and delegates.

How is your graft game?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
But you just said that the Ioc IS the draw. That the talent doesn't matter, that as long as they show the rings the chest thumping nationalistic rubes will eat it up no matter HOW crappy the talent is.

If this were true ( and it's not) there is no incentive to get the best players.

People want to see the best on best. For hockey that means NHL participation.

Without it, it's a shinier less talented world shampionships ( I.e the best of the rest tournament)
So where are you getting athletes if not pros? From high school sport? Olympic footy draws well enough without the very best. A certain level of skill is wanted. In addition, to me, the Olympics have little to do with nationalism. It's the purest ideal of an athlete, the beauty of sport in general. I take that oath serious. That's why I am against doping in any form as well.
It tells a lot about you to call participants that aren't the cream of their sport crap.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Whats a graft game?
Graft, as understood in American English, is a form of political corruption, being the unscrupulous use of a politician's authority for personal gain. Similarly, political graft occurs when funds intended for public projects are intentionally misdirected in order to maximize the benefits to private interests.

If you need an example to help solidify the concept, look for 5 interlocked rings. That will clear it up.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Can’t believe some posters here don’t like Olympic hockey. That shit is awesome, the Russia USA game when Oshie scored in the shootout was mental

Reactions: Eisen

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
So where are you getting athletes if not pros? From high school sport? Olympic footy draws well enough without the very best. A certain level of skill is wanted. In addition, to me, the Olympics have little to do with nationalism. It's the purest ideal of an athlete, the beauty of sport in general. I take that oath serious. That's why I am against doping in any form as well.
It tells a lot about you to call participants that aren't the cream of their sport crap.
Those who are not the cream of the crop are not crap.

But they aren't as good.

And the Ioc abandoned the concept of the value of amateur long ago. Had they kept it, their current exploitive business model at least could be theoretically defended.

But even when it WAS concerned with the corruption of money in amateur sport, it had this strange policy of looking the other way for SOME countries whose " soldiers" did nothing but play and train on the ice for months at a time but a kid from another country who gets 50 bucks to play in a pro league OF ANOTHER sport is banned from competition.

If you want to watch third rate players compete, there are currently many leagues that you can avail yourself to.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Graft, as understood in American English, is a form of political corruption, being the unscrupulous use of a politician's authority for personal gain. Similarly, political graft occurs when funds intended for public projects are intentionally misdirected in order to maximize the benefits to private interests.

If you need an example to help solidify the concept, look for 5 interlocked rings. That will clear it up.
I agree that the IOC is corrupt. The NHL doesn't need to be. Profiteering is their open business model.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Can’t believe some posters here don’t like Olympic hockey. That **** is awesome, the Russia USA game when Oshie scored in the shootout was mental
Yeah it was great how the NHL used footage of those goals all the time to get people to watch oshie at his real job.

What? That never happened? Why not?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Those who are not the cream of the crop are not crap.

But they aren't as good.

And the Ioc abandoned the concept of the value of amateur long ago. Had they kept it, their current exploitive business model at least could be theoretically defended.

But even when it WAS concerned with the corruption of money in amateur sport, it had this strange policy of looking the other way for SOME countries whose " soldiers" did nothing but play and train on the ice for months at a time but a kid from another country who gets 50 bucks to play in a pro league OF ANOTHER sport is banned from competition.

If you want to watch third rate players compete, there are currently many leagues that you can avail yourself to.
Not only one country, many countries. And it was stupid, that's why it was dropped. The original of the amateur ideal was to keep working class riff raff out so that only old money can participate. And I do watch lower leagues. But the Olympics are a different thing. It has symbolic value like nothing else.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
The NHL serves one country, the United States of America.

It does not care about anything else other then what most Americans do.

Money.

The game of Hockey is irrelevant to the people involved in the NHL.

It's hard to differentiate at times which American posters receive salaries in their mail from the corrupt fools at the NHL with the way they support such a league.

As someone who refuses to watch such American propaganda, proud to say haven't watched a game in nearly a decade.
Lol wtf why do you post on a hockey forum if you haven’t watched a hockey game in a decade?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Yeah the people who provide the talent want something in return.

Ooooooh the horrors!

How'd you like the last Olympics? Such compelling competition when team "who" really took it to team has been.

You can't script a moment like that

NHL didn't provide any of the talent that would play in the national team of a European country. It was the junior work, clubs and national program of that country. NHL provided jack shit. In fact, they just stole all the talent developed by others.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
NHL didn't provide any of the talent that would play in the national team of a European country. It was the junior work, clubs and national program of that country. NHL provided jack ****. In fact, they just stole all the talent developed by others.
Without proper compensation for the developing club.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
NHL didn't provide any of the talent that would play in the national team of a European country. It was the junior work, clubs and national program of that country. NHL provided jack ****. In fact, they just stole all the talent developed by others.
The players are not chattle.

And if they left their home shores to come to ply their talents in the Nhl, they are under contract. This contract, unfortunately, does not provide them with the unilateral ability to stop and then restart their obligations in order to go and enrich some third party.

If they wanted such a stipulation, they could have asked for it in their SPC's.

But they didn't so the only choice they have is to breach.

But they won't. And you know it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad