NHL is damaging its reputation with useless ASG and missing Olympics

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Except after 4 Olympics, including two that timed well for North American viewers it didn't increase the NHL ratings long-term. A lot more people watch Luge during the Olympics then they will any other time during a 4 year span, doesn't mean they become luge enthusiasts.

totally fair comment and makes complete sense. I would argue that If they didn’t show luge during the Olympics then I’m guessing the sport would largely disappear. Alternatively, hockey is played through the world and while the NHL is exclusively North American the way to grow the game globally would be to showcase the sport.

I do understand why the owners don’t want to participate and while I disagree with their mentality, they have every right.

as for the OP question I’m thinking the ASG has less relevance in NA and throughout the world and if (and it’s a big if) the intent is to promote the game, the ASG isn’t the best way to do it. If it’s $$$ then so be it.

Reactions: IlikeEich

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
totally fair comment and makes complete sense. I would argue that If they didn’t show luge during the Olympics then I’m guessing the sport would largely disappear. Alternatively, hockey is played through the world and while the NHL is exclusively North American the way to grow the game globally would be to showcase the sport.

I do understand why the owners don’t want to participate and while I disagree with their mentality, they have every right.

as for the OP question I’m thinking the ASG has less relevance in NA and throughout the world and if (and it’s a big if) the intent is to promote the game, the ASG isn’t the best way to do it. If it’s $$$ then so be it.
Its to reward markets and do promotional things within those markets. There will be events in St. Louis this week related to it. Fan events, collecter showings, etc.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Seeing players as investments is what's wrong with the sport. Does any other league have issues with what the IOC does?
Baseball isn't in the olympics and mens soccer is for players under the age of 23. Not sure why in either case.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I dont know about damaging but I personally have not takin the time to watch an ASG or skills event In a decade. The only time I had some minor interest was when John Scott made it. It is pretty much a novelty for younger kids that want to attend the event, a good family weekend. Just my opinion

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Baseball isn't in the olympics and mens soccer is for players under the age of 23. Not sure why in either case.
I don't know why basball isn't but soccer isn't because of the WC. By the 30s, footy was a professional sport so the IOC even stopped having a tournament in 32 and later came up with the under 23 rule. By the time that the IOC canned that amateur rule, the WC was a fully established tournament. The under 23 rule only goes for men, though, women have a full tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: KidLine93

c2oh2o

Oct 6, 2019
I could not be less intrested in ASG . It is the same kind of meanless clownery show than lets say Harlem Globetrotters or show wrestling. Olympics with the best players from every country instead would be something to see, but unfortunately NHL owners has decided otherwise.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Think of this...Barry Trotz is coaching team Canada and has Crosby, Tavares, and Barzal among centers (hypothetical). In a blowout game, the opposition starts taking liberties....who doesn't think deployment would change a bit knowing the NHL season starts back up in a month?

acor

Jan 13, 2012
I could not be less intrested in ASG . It is the same kind of meanless clownery show than lets say Harlem Globetrotters or show wrestling. Olympics with the best players from every country instead would be something to see, but unfortunately NHL owners has decided otherwise.

You got best vs best in NHL, don't need some clownish exhibition for that.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Sorry, IIHF. Anyway, it was covered. What the NHL wanted was sponsor status without paying anything.
Without paying anything? They are the draw!

And you said that the Ioc gives money to the sports federations ( whose job, coincidentally IS to grow the game) which gets the Ioc off the hook.

So the Iihf declared they will take this money that is supposed to go to national federations and they will instead use it to pad the pockets of insurance companies.

The nhl said that money is supposed to go to development and they were not going to play at the Olympics by taking money away from national federations.

The Ioc apologist said " money is money" but you principled people don't take dirty money, which is what this was.

Liars, crooks and thieves. The lot of them.

On principle the IOC has to pay travel and insurance. That's their only responsibility other than finding someone to drive the Zamboni.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
International hockey is the only hockey that is of interest. I don't care at all about NHL, KHL or any of the others. They're just a prolonged practice season that is mainly useful for following NT players development.

And I have no interest in gloryfied "nationalistic" exhibition. For me it's just unnsesecary injury risk for players playing for their REAL team- it means NHL team, and unnsescary stoppage of play.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Next up: NHL org fanboys arrive to defend even this.
Yeah the people who provide the talent want something in return.

Ooooooh the horrors!

How'd you like the last Olympics? Such compelling competition when team "who" really took it to team has been.

You can't script a moment like that

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Without paying anything? They are the draw!

And you said that the Ioc gives money to the sports federations ( whose job, coincidentally IS to grow the game) which gets the Ioc off the hook.

So the Iihf declared they will take this money that is supposed to go to national federations and they will instead use it to pad the pockets of insurance companies.

The nhl said that money is supposed to go to development and they were not going to play at the Olympics by taking money away from national federations.

The Ioc apologist said " money is money" but you principled people don't take dirty money, which is what this was.

Liars, crooks and thieves. The lot of them.

On principle the IOC has to pay travel and insurance. That's their only responsibility other than finding someone to drive the Zamboni.
As if the entire amount of the money goes to the insurance. And the hockey tournament is a draw, with or without the NHL because it's the Olympics. This is about the players and the competition. And the NHL couldn't care less about the development of the sport. They want to get their hands on money they do nothing for but make a break in an unecessarily bloated schedule.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
The NHL serves one country, the United States of America.

It does not care about anything else other then what most Americans do.

Money.

The game of Hockey is irrelevant to the people involved in the NHL.

It's hard to differentiate at times which American posters receive salaries in their mail from the corrupt fools at the NHL with the way they support such a league.

As someone who refuses to watch such American propaganda, proud to say haven't watched a game in nearly a decade.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yeah the people who provide the talent want something in return.

Ooooooh the horrors!

How'd you like the last Olympics? Such compelling competition when team "who" really took it to team has been.

You can't script a moment like that
The players provide the talent.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
As if the entire amount of the money goes to the insurance. And the hockey tournament is a draw, with or without the NHL because it's the Olympics. This is about the players and the competition. And the NHL couldn't care less about the development of the sport. They want to get their hands on money they do nothing for but make a break in an unecessarily bloated schedule.
As a private company that is their prerogative.

And, one wonders, if the Ioc thinks that it is the draw irrespective of the talent, that they could get eyes as gym teachers and has been play each other, why would they ever have done a 180 with respect to amateurism?

They let the pros in becuase they know that the best players in the world would bring in more eyes. Why? Becuase they are the best players in the world ( ie the draw).

I hope, for all hopes, that the Ioc continues to think that by throwing the rings over a beer league tournament that people will keep tuning in.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
As a private company that is their prerogative.

And, one wonders, if the Ioc thinks that it is the draw irrespective of the talent, that they could get eyes as gym teachers and has been play each other, why would they ever have done a 180 with respect to amateurism?

They let the pros in becuase they know that the best players in the world would bring in more eyes. Why? Becuase they are the best players in the world ( ie the draw).

I hope, for all hopes, that the Ioc continues to think that by throwing the rings over a beer league tournament that people will keep tuning in.
They did the 180 because realistically there are no real amateur athletes and it's very easy to work around that status.
And why do you think that wrestling et al are in the Olympics? Because it's such a huge draw? Or why baseball isn't despite potential spectators?
Yes, it's their right as a private company. It's still dirty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad