NHL in Seattle Expansion, BOG vote, Expansion Draft

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
What do you/others think of something like this?

Division 1: PHI, NYR, NYI, NJD
Division 2: PIT, BUF, CBJ, DET
Division 3: BOS, MON, OTT, TOR
Division 4: FLA, TAM, CAR, WAS

Division 5: CHI, NAS, DAL, STL
Division 6: WIN, CGY, EDM, MIN
Division 7: ARI, SJS, LAK, ANA
Division 8: VGS, COL, VAN, SEA

6 games in each division (18 total)
4 games against others teams from conference (48 total)
1 game against all team from other conference; alternating by year (16 total)
82 games total.

+ Creates rivalries
- Not every team comes to every building

I'm 100% with you except for that last line - I will never be behind a plan without at least a home and away against every team in the league. And that's not just because I am an out-of-towner - even if I were in Philadelphia I would want to see more teams and a better variety.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
On Hockey Central they mentioned the whole Kraken idea. They said having their mascot named Kraken was a way to incorporate that to the team, but have the team a different name.

They do the whole "release the Kraken" to start the game/pre-game intro's etc...

At least they shot down the idea of them being the Metropolitans.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa

82 games total.

+ Creates rivalries
Every time alignment comes up I bring this format up. The 82 game schedule was clearly made w this format in mind as an eventuality, but it seems like they’ve moved away from it? I don’t hate 4 divisions, but 8 is just so perfect.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Might have been mentioned but with the Seattle colors and the location id love to see the NHL bring the whalers back.

Hopefully next move is Arizona, Fla or Carolina heading back to Quebec for the Nordiques return

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There are rumors that Seattle is going to use RED as it's primary color. Why is the NHL so stupid? :laugh:

Just make Vancouver go back to black, yellow, and red, which they should anyway, and give Seattle the blue and green concept. Every sports team they've had in Seattle has used blue and/or green. When I think of Seattle, I think of these colors.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
There are rumors that Seattle is going to use RED as it's primary color. Why is the NHL so stupid? :laugh:

Just make Vancouver go back to black, yellow, and red, which they should anyway, and give Seattle the blue and green concept. Every sports team they've had in Seattle has used blue and/or green. When I think of Seattle, I think of these colors.
bring back the psychadelic 6 in vancouver.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
Seattle Emeralds with emerald green :loveeyes:

Seattle Firebirds with yellow or something

Seattle Thunderbirds would be the obvious one...

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

If that rumor is true I could see then going with the Sockeyes. Spawning sockeye salmon look both beautiful and nightmare-enducing at the same time.

Unknown-800x533.jpeg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I dunno if Vancouver fans would be happy about having the league force them to change their colors.

So long as it's not boring black, I don't mind what color Seattle uses.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Expanding the NHL is a good thing. I am sure there are American skaters and other players out there who could make it in the NHL with more positions open. We are a worldwide league unlike any other sport. There is without a doubt enough untapped talent available

Soccer/Footie > Basketball > Hockey

NHL Sent Seattle the ultimate Welcome, Lord Stanley. It maybe the only time Seattle see it lol.

1917, but I digress

82 games total.

+ Creates rivalries
As others have stated, no to any schedule that excludes a home & home with the other conference. This can be fixed by adding 1 game to the schedule (because, before, there used to be an 84 game season, so this is not unprecedented.)

5 games in each division (15 total)
3 games against other teams from same conference (36 total)
2 games against all teams from other conference (32 total)
83 games total

And as far as the pods go- I could be talked into swapping Philly/Buf/Bos, they all move sequentially for each other. Also, Arizona is fine where it is now, but I don't expect that to last, if they get moved to Houston, would really shake this up. A Quebec team would also cause confusion in the East, as the Flyers then become the de-facto proximity make sense move for a completion to WAS, CAR, TAM. (Not really, but as the crow flys on a map.)

Division 1 would sell the team plane for the team bus.

Don't even need to buy a bus. Uber/Amtrak/public transportation.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'll make my first prediction 2.5 years in advance:

Giroux (NMC), Voracek, Couturier, Konency, Patrick, Aube-Kubel, Rubtsov

Provorov, Ghost, Myers

Hart

Seattle takes Sanheim and I have to change my avatar.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If that rumor is true I could see then going with the Sockeyes. Spawning sockeye salmon look both beautiful and nightmare-enducing at the same time.

Unknown-800x533.jpeg

That coral color on that tasty fart-inducing fish guy there would work with green, although I can't foresee anyone agreeing to the death-fart-death-throes green of that poor fish's head.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
That coral color on that tasty fart-inducing fish guy there would work with green, although I can't foresee anyone agreeing to the death-fart-death-throes green of that poor fish's head.
That color scheme (of the fish) is patent ready for ugly sweaters right prior to the New Year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad