NHL in Seattle Expansion, BOG vote, Expansion Draft

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Seattle expansion franchise to be voted by NHL Board of Governors

Guys Today, the NHL B O G will vote and is expected to give the city of Seattle a team.

I'm not sure when the expansion draft will be, hopefully the BOG press conference will provide that date.

Also, I noticed last fall, at xfinity live during a non sports day, Xfinity flew many of there Seattle workers to philly on putting xfinity live in Seattle.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The expansion draft will depend on when Seattle's joining the league. Will be either 2020-2021 or 2021-2022, so it's not this coming offseason. And it's sounding like 2021-2022 is the most likely scenario, so there's really no way of knowing who will still be here the offseason after the offseason after next.

No idea what you're talking about re: Xfinity. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Their lone sports broadcaster is Root (AKA Fox Sports AKA ATT Sportsnet, depending on the market) and their arena isn't even finished, so I'm not sure they'd be looking to build a corporate-branded bar before there was even a team or arena, let alone an affiliation with one or the other. Plus you don't have to fly anyone across a country to figure out how to run a big bar.

Last edited:

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Using the Vegas expansion as a guideline, playing the 2021-2022 season would put the expansion draft between the cup finals and the NHL entry draft in June of 2021. That is two seasons after this one, which means anyone that has yet to play Pro hockey after this season will be exempt. That list includes:

Frost
Farabee
Allison
JOB
Laczynski
Hogberg
Cates
Ratcliffe
Sandstrom
Strome
etc will all be exempt. Even Zamula who has an ELC would still be exempt. A few of them don't even have to sign before the ED.

This means that a list of guys EXPOSED would include:
Rubstov
Friedman
Myers
Morin
NAK
Vorobyev

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Also worth noting that only 5 Flyers currently have contracts that extend past the ED. Giroux, Voracek, Ghost, JVR, and Coots. Giroux is the only one with a NMC. Provorov, Konecny, Patrick, Sanheim, Myers, Rubstov, Vorobyev, and Hagg are all due to resign before the ED process.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hopefully Fletcher doesn't botch this next expansion draft like he did for Minnesota in the Vegas one.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Once again, this league needs to condense not expand.

Nah 32 teams is fine, just need some of the dead weight to move: Arizona to the massive Houston market, Florida up to Quebec, perhaps, and then we're good to go. The Blue Jackets can wander the midwest if they want.

A bigger league means more opportunities for young talents and more leaguewide revenue for guys to get paid. I think 32 is a perfect number, especially given the size of the playoff cohort: finally, more than half the league won't make the postseason!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This means that a list of guys EXPOSED would include:
Rubstov
Friedman
Myers
Morin
NAK
Vorobyev

With Rubtsov being the only one who would be exempt for a 2020 ED.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I'm not too worried on loosing someone extremely important to the core because:

A - We should still have the assets to avoid the taking someone extremely valuable
B - As @Magua has stated previously, most GM's are p*ssies and don't want to upset anyone.

Of course, if Seattle names Hexy as GM, we're so f*cked.

Reactions: Magua

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm not too worried on loosing someone extremely important to the core because:

A - We should still have the assets to avoid the taking someone extremely valuable
B - As @Magua has stated previously, most GM's are p*ssies and don't want to upset anyone.

Of course, if Seattle names Hexy as GM, we're so f*cked.

Or will Hexy take an unprotected Hagg?

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Yay, watered down talent pool.

Talent was more watered-down when the league had 6 and 12 teams made up of 95% Canadian players than it is now. We have better player development happening all over the world, and more international players than ever in the league. The average bottom 6 NHL player today is far better than even the equivalent player in the '90's. If anything, the league is growing proportionate to the caliber and availability of good players, or even behind it.

Seriously, I don't think anyone who makes that complaint has any legitimate insight or point of reference. It's just a thing to f***ing say, to whine about for the sake of whining.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Talent was more watered-down when the league had 6 and 12 teams made up of 95% Canadian players than it is now. We have better player development happening all over the world, and more international players than ever in the league.

Seriously, I don't think anyone who makes the complaint is making a legitimate complain or has any point of reference. It's just a thing to ****ing say, to whine about for the sake of whining.

How is it not a valid complaint? When I have to watch people like Zac Rinaldo, Andrew MacDonald, ...etc play in the National Hockey League the talent pool is watered down. That's fact. I would much rather have less teams without slop in their lineup than have more teams.

Of course the game and player development have expanded around the world but adding a new team doesn't do anything extra. Similar to how the Olympics don't make more people watch the NHL.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
How is it not a valid complaint? When I have to watch people like Zac Rinaldo, Andrew MacDonald, ...etc play in the National Hockey League the talent pool is watered down. That's fact. I would much rather have less teams without slop in their lineup than have more teams.

Of course the game and player development have expanded around the world but adding a new team doesn't do anything to extra. Similar to how the Olympics don't make more people watch the NHL.

I think that's more a symptom of dinosaurs still running teams than it is of a lack of available talent.

I think 32 teams is OK with the talent pool available. It shouldn't grow any more, though.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Of course the game and player development have expanded around the world but adding a new team doesn't do anything to extra. Similar to how the Olympics don't make more people watch the NHL.

But as shitty as Rinaldo and MacDonald are, they're far better shitty players than the shitty players people older than you had to put up with. That will only keep on, 23 more roster spots be damned. It's less than 1 additional roster opening per team. Now magic bois like NAK can finally play in the NHL, yay!

And your Olympics comparison is a non-sequitur. That has nothing to do with it. You're saying that placing a new franchise in a metro area of 4 million people has no benefit for the NHL? What's the idea here? Seattle isn't going to grow the game in Finland, but it will make a billion dollars and solidify a US market/potentially start a distant development process there.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
But as ****ty as Rinaldo and MacDonald are, they're far better ****ty players than the ****ty players people older than you had to put up with.

And your Olympics comparison is a non-sequitur. That has nothing to do with it. You're saying that placing a new franchise in a metro area of 4 million people has no benefit for the NHL? What's the idea here? Seattle isn't going to grow the game in Finland, but it will make a billion dollars. What's your notion here?

All i'm saying is that 30 teams was "fine" with where the talent pool was. Adding extra teams is getting you closer to the watered down product that you saw in the past.

I have no issue with placing a franchise in a town like Seattle and see the benefit, but it should be from a team like the Coyotes relocating not an additional franchise.

I misread what you were talking about with regards to my Olympics statement.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
All i'm saying is that 30 teams was "fine" with where the talent pool was. Adding extra teams is getting you closer to the watered down product that you saw in the past.

I have no issue with placing a franchise in a town like Seattle and see the benefit, but it should be from a team like the Coyotes relocating not an additional franchise.

I misread what you were talking about with regards to my Olympics statement.

I dunno, I don't think we have a great measuring stick to figure that out. There was some serious mediocrity when the league went to 30 teams originally 20 years ago, but that's because the mechanisms weren't in place. Available player quality exploded between like 1990/end of Cold War and the mid 2000's, with scouting catching up eventually. The stylistic changes/migration away from fighting and obstruction after 2005 left some teams confused (I mean, jesus, we had Jody Shelley on the roster 6 years ago, not out of necessity but out of idiocy), but now everyone has adjusted and I really think we have plenty of available talent for 32 squads.

I don't want to see much more than that, but it's gonna be good.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Of course the game and player development have expanded around the world but adding a new team doesn't do anything extra. Similar to how the Olympics don't make more people watch the NHL.

I wouldn't point to that as a reason talent is watered down. They are both playing over more talented players. The NHL just hasn't fully transitioned away from the mentality that 4th liners have to be tough grinders or that veteran defensemen somehow have value even if they suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad