NHL in 2025 (mod: more Canadian teams, fewer US sunbelt teams)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
To me, it is less about climate geography and more about buying patterns.

After all, there are some issues with the I-70 line:

New Jersey and the Islanders don't sellout on a regular basis. The western Canadian teams were in some financial constraints during the mid-1990's, and even Ottawa went bankrupt. Even one of the holy grails, the Chicago Blackhawks, went through a massive attendance problem while the franchise was run into the ground.

I'm just simply pointing out that the franchises along the I-70 corridor won't make the money that the Rangers, Red Wings, Flyers, Leafs nor Canadiens make.

What "buying patterns"?

Generalizing, aren't there more "northern US" cities economically struggling as compared to southern cities? I'm not sure. And wouldn't it be southern cities where people might be more likely to be outside enjoying other activities, including spending their money on different things other than going to hockey games or watching hockey (or basketball, imagine) on TV?

But again, you explain what "buying patterns" you're referring to, if you don't mind.

Hey, Grudy0, take a look at this, it might have a very remote connection to what you're implying:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=985985&page=2
Post #49 and the OP.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Why do CFL fans always say that. All the teams will tell you its not the same when you stay home and watch. The Last TiCats Argos game probably pulled in over 800k but less then half of sky dome was full. You know why TFC and Raptors ratings are low? because everyone is at the game. Empty games look bad no matter the TV ratings.

The CFL should consider blackouts again.

TFC and the Raptors don't have great attendence either. Only team in Toronto that will always have good attendence is the the Leafs, every other team has a hard time selling tickets when they're losing. Doesn't help the Argos are terrible. That and Toronto really isn't a football city either.

The CFL does fine and it's well liked. They're not in trouble which is the only thing that matters. Hamilton would definitely do better attendence wise if they had a decent stadium. Toronto probably too if they didn't play at Rogers Centre (Which is a pain in the ass to watch football games for)

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Another "The Sunbelt has ruined Hockey" "It's a Canadians' Birthright to decide where teams belong" "Bettman hates Canada" "US sucks" "thread!!!

WOW we went almost 1 week without one.:shakehead

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Hamilton would definitely do better attendence wise if they had a decent stadium.

I hope you are right. We will know soon enough. My guess, if they don't break even soon (with a new TSN contract and higher attendance), Mr Young will walk. Couldn't blame him if he did.

Toronto probably too if they didn't play at Rogers Centre (Which is a pain in the ass to watch football games for)

I agree. The Rogers Center is the worst place to watch a football game. The Argos need a TFC type stadium to call their own.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
TFC and the Raptors don't have great attendence either. Only team in Toronto that will always have good attendence is the the Leafs, every other team has a hard time selling tickets when they're losing. Doesn't help the Argos are terrible. That and Toronto really isn't a football city either.

The CFL does fine and it's well liked. They're not in trouble which is the only thing that matters. Hamilton would definitely do better attendence wise if they had a decent stadium. Toronto probably too if they didn't play at Rogers Centre (Which is a pain in the ass to watch football games for)
TFC is one of only two teams in the MLS that makes a profit.
Did you know only 4 teams in the history of MLB have drawn 4 million fans in a season. Colorado did it once, the NewYork Mets did it once, The Yankees did it 4 times, and those bandwagon blue jays fans have done it THREE times. They were also the very 1st team to ever do it. So I think you're incorrect by saying we only support the Leafs.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Did you know only 4 teams in the history of MLB have drawn 4 million fans in a season. Colorado did it once, the NewYork Mets did it once, The Yankees did it 4 times, and those bandwagon blue jays fans have done it THREE times. They were also the very 1st team to ever do it. So I think you're incorrect by saying we only support the Leafs.

I don't know...

The TFC attendance keeps falling.

I heard the Leafs tie their Season Tickets to the Raptors - otherwise the Raptors attendance would fall off dramatically.

The Blue Jay run was a once in a franchise thing - 20 years ago. Even if the Jays were to get back into the playoffs, no one would care.

The Argo support is shameful. No one goes to see the NFL when it comes to the Roger's Center either.

Toronto is a horrible sports town. It is the Leafs or nothing.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't know...

I heard the Leafs tie their Season Tickets to the Raptors - otherwise the Raptors attendance would fall off dramatically.

The Blue Jay run was a once in a franchise thing - 20 years ago. Even if the Jays were to get back into the playoffs, no one would care.

The Argo support is shameful. No one goes to see the NFL when it comes to the Roger's Center either.

Toronto is one of the best sport towns in North America, it may be the best. In regards to Soccer and Baseball we have proven it, if you win we are there. Just like any other city if the team loses, interest declines. The Raptors have made the playoffs once and had alot of support for that. It appears we sellout the Leaf games no matter what. The explanation for that is the sheer number of fans the team has. Believe it or not this is the down time. The present time is Toronto's equivalent to Detroit in the 80's, Chicago pre Toews and Kane, Pittsburgh pre Crosby and before that pre Lemieux. Point being even at it's worst there are so many fans it still sellsout. If the team was good, tickets would be a grand a seat.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Toronto is one of the best sport towns in North America, it may be the best. In regards to Soccer and Baseball we have proven it, if you win we are there. Just like any other city if the team loses, interest declines. The Raptors have made the playoffs once and had alot of support for that. It appears we sellout the Leaf games no matter what. The explanation for that is the sheer number of fans the team has. Believe it or not this is the down time. The present time is Toronto's equivalent to Detroit in the 80's, Chicago pre Toews and Kane, Pittsburgh pre Crosby and before that pre Lemieux. Point being even at it's worst there are so many fans it still sellsout. If the team was good, tickets would be a grand a seat.

Hi Hockey,

I disagree.

No one cares about the Jays. They have had some good seasons since their peak. No one went. They have had great players...
Jose Bautista had a great season last year and the team was 3rd last in attendance. Often, when Doc Holiday pitched, no one came.

A few years back, before an Toronto NFL game, I was at a gas station. Someone came in and handed out free tickets - good ones. He had a handful left to give.

Again, if the Raptor tickets weren't promoted thru the Leafs, no one would go/care.

Toronto is a Hockey/NHL/Leaf town. Nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Toronto FC attention/attendence isn't what it used to be and if they don't start winning it's going to get worse. Leafs are the only team that Toronto will support no matter what. Don't see why thats a bad thing, only cities that aren't like that are NYC and Boston.

I don't know...

Blue Jays will go back to 35,000+ a game if they start winning, Torontos always been a city where they support winners if they're not hockey. People can still remember when baseball was the number one sport in Toronto.

Football is a sport noone cares about in Toronto but the Argos still do well. Raptors need a markatable player (So not an tall Italian guy with no personality) to sell tickets. TFC was a novelty at the start, they'll probably sell out if they start winning too. Toronto is no diffrent from many cities in the US where you have to win to sell out. Los Angeles, Dallas-Fortworth, Detroit, Pittsburgh, all the same as Toronto, one sport that sells out whether they suck or not and the rest that need to win to have great attendence.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Hi Hockey,

I disagree.

No one cares about the Jays. They have had some good seasons since their peak. No one went. They have had great players... Jose Bautista had a great season last year and the team was 3rd last in attendance. Often, when Doc Holiday pitched, no one came.

A few years back, before an Toronto NFL game, I was at a gas station. Someone came in and handed out free tickets - good ones. He had a handful left to give.

Again, if the Raptor tickets weren't promoted thru the Leafs, no one would go/care.

Toronto is a Hockey/NHL/Leaf town. Nothing else.
How do you explain TFC - one of only two teams to make a profit. Seattle being the other one.
Baseball attendance speaks for itself only the Yankees can claim better support, when the team is a pennant contender.
The Jays and Raptors would have to be good playoff teams and have poor attendance for me to agree with you.
As for football the CFL is considered 2nd rate by football fans. I'm not a fan of either CFL or NFL, but I hear there are others who like the game.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

How do you explain TFC - one of only two teams to make a profit. Seattle being the other one.

Give the TFC a few years and we will talk. If attendance keeps dropping off like it has, they will not be profitable for long.

Baseball attendance speaks for itself only the Yankees can claim better support, when the team is a pennant contender.

Wow buddy... I don't know what to say about that. They (the Yankees and the Jays support) are not even in the same universe.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

:)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Not in our lifetime, my friend.

Huh???

Fair enough.

Yes they will. Jays haven't been contenders since many people on this site were born and that's why. People in Toronto aren't intrested in a non-leafs team that isn't a contender, yet the Jays still manage 20,000+ and have excellent TV ratings. Attendence has been rising the past few years and its not going to stop. They're the only non Leafs team that has seen this trend, the Raptors, Argos and TFC are all trending down because they're gotten worse.

The Argos do well. It doesn't matter they don't sell out. With such a low payroll it doesn't matter unless.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Wow buddy... I don't know what to say about that. They (the Yankees and the Jays support) are not even in the same universe.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Looks to be the same universe to me...........When they are contenders
Colorado Rockies [9] 1993 4,483,350 55,350 Mile High Stadium
New York Yankees [19] 2008 4,298,655 53,070 Yankee Stadium
New York Yankees [19] 2007 4,271,867 52,739 Yankee Stadium
New York Yankees [19] 2006 4,248,067 52,445 Yankee Stadium
New York Yankees [19] 2005 4,090,696 50,502 Yankee Stadium
Toronto Blue Jays [33] 1993 4,057,947 50,098 SkyDome
New York Mets [18] 2008 4,042,045 49,902 Shea Stadium
Toronto Blue Jays [33] 1992 4,028,318 49,732 SkyDome
Toronto Blue Jays [33] 1991 4,002,527 49,402 SkyDome

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Looks to be the same universe to me...........When they are contenders
Colorado Rockies [9] 1993 4,483,350 55,350 Mile High Stadium
New York Yankees [19] 2008 4,298,655 53,070 Yankee Stadium
New York Yankees [19] 2007 4,271,867 52,739 Yankee Stadium
New York Yankees [19] 2006 4,248,067 52,445 Yankee Stadium
New York Yankees [19] 2005 4,090,696 50,502 Yankee Stadium
Toronto Blue Jays [33] 1993 4,057,947 50,098 SkyDome
New York Mets [18] 2008 4,042,045 49,902 Shea Stadium
Toronto Blue Jays [33] 1992 4,028,318 49,732 SkyDome
Toronto Blue Jays [33] 1991 4,002,527 49,402 SkyDome

THAT was a different time, Hockey. The whole country was swept up in the idea of a Canadian team winning the World Series. It would not happen again.

As Elliot Friedman (CBC Reporter) has said (paraphrasing) "the Jays will tell you the worst thing they ever did was win it all (twice). Once they won, people lost interest. They fear fans will never get caught up or feel like that about the Jays again."

I agree with him.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
THAT was a different time, Hockey. The whole country was swept up in the idea of a Canadian team winning the World Series. It would not happen again.

As Elliot Friedman (CBC Reporter) has said (paraphrasing) "the Jays will tell you the worst thing they ever did was win it all (twice). Once they won, people lost interest. They fear fans will never get caught up or feel like that about the Jays again."

I agree with him.
Well that is just speculation, when it becomes fact I'll agree with you.
Anyway since Jays have sucked for the past 15 years. How come, Tampa, Boston, Houston L A etc have never joined the 4 million club? They must be worse baseball fans than Toronto.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

I agree with him.

Its been 20 years. If you go to a Jays from you'll notice most fans are people who probably don't remember the '92 and '93 World Series, only heard about it. If the Jays win the World Series again, the whole city will be in baseball mode again. People want that magic again, but they'll only help it become a reality once more if the team is a contender which if you ask most baseball people isn't far off.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Well that is just speculation, when it becomes fact I'll agree with you.
Anyway since Jays have sucked for the past 15 years. How come, Tampa, Boston, Houston L A etc have never joined the 4 million club? They must be worse baseball fans than Toronto.

Its been 20 years. If you go to a Jays from you'll notice most fans are people who probably don't remember the '92 and '93 World Series, only heard about it. If the Jays win the World Series again, the whole city will be in baseball mode again. People want that magic again, but they'll only help it become a reality once more if the team is a contender which if you ask most baseball people isn't far off.

I hope you are both right.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

I agree with him.

Sorry I agree with POG here. The fans will come back if they win. With the second wildcard, the Jays will have that opportunity next year.

Prove me wrong... go to the next Argo game, bring your friends, and take a pic of the attendance.

I HOPE I am wrong and the place is well attended.

:sarcasm:

The last Argos I went to, people either didn't know what was going on, were on their cellphones, or were there because its cheap.

Toronto drew 50k for the Bills giveways or not. That says volumes. The Argos only draw when Sask or Ham is in town and those are mostly the other sides fans. The CFL is fine but Hamilton and Toronto are dragging it down. It this Moncton thing gets going the Argos could be gone.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Another "The Sunbelt has ruined Hockey" "It's a Canadians' Birthright to decide where teams belong" "Bettman hates Canada" "US sucks" "thread!!!

Re the bolded 'quote.' I've been reading these boards for years and can't recall anyone saying anything close to that. The others are a stretch too -- except for the "Bettman hates Canada." I have seen that one occasionally.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Toronto drew 50k for the Bills giveways or not. That says volumes.

First, there is not 50K there. It is more like 40K with half the seats being given away. For a once a year (non preseason) game, that is nothing to brag about.

The CFL is fine but Hamilton and Toronto are dragging it down. It this Moncton thing gets going the Argos could be gone.

Hamilton, while not great, is much better (per capita) than Toronto.

The CFL can/will never leave Toronto. The TV ratings are great (even if the attendance is not) and they need the corporate sponsorship that Toronto brings.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ

Gotta say I agree in the sense that more Canadian teams and fewer sunbelt teams does nothing to actually grow the sport of hockey, but Canadians seem to only care about their country having more teams.. Quite selfish

I get the instant gratification in that they have more passion for the game right now and would do better financially, but will a team in Quebec City really cause more kids/people there to watch hockey, play the game, and get interested in it? No, they already do.. Hockey does, however, have room to grow in the southern US, and the more kids playing the game, the better the talent pool becomes (see MLB efforts to grow the sport in China and South America, it's the same thing).. It also taps into some big money markets that just need time (and winning teams) to cultivate their hockey fan bases.. Took NJ forever to have hockey become a major high school sport and we've had teams in the area since the Rangers and Flyers

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Re the bolded 'quote.' I've been reading these boards for years and can't recall anyone saying anything close to that. The others are a stretch too -- except for the "Bettman hates Canada." I have seen that one occasionally.

I have said "Bettman hates Canada" myself.

Actually, what I said was "Bettman takes Canada for granted."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad