NHL in 2025 (mod: more Canadian teams, fewer US sunbelt teams)

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by sawchuk1971, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. sawchuk1971

sawchuk1971 Registered User

weird....

very biased from a elitist point of view.....

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/article/48064--the-nhl-in-2025

2. headsigh

headsigh leave at once!

Postal Service
    Home Page:
    a canadian economy magazine believes they can support more canadian teams with the canadian dollar

shocking

3. sawchuk1971

sawchuk1971 Registered User

well i have read recently that loonie is becoming weak again..

i think the person who devised this "study" is putting too much eggs in one basket about canada getting more teams.....

4. Killion

Killion Registered User

Not really. The Mowat Center is part of the University of Toronto's School of Public Policy & Governance set-up in 2009 whose mandate is to propose; innovative research driven policies & recommendations that work on behalf of all Canadians but more specifically Ontarians.

They are supposed to be engaging with the public & private sectors, however, this is now their 2nd paper to come out with this idiocy of 12 teams in Canada combined with the implosion of "Sun Belt" franchises in the US, a utopian dream of these rather elitist island dwellers to wit most far thinking people would utterly reject out of hand.

The content of both reports would make for a hilarious parody
    of Zager&Evans late 60's smash hit 2525...

In the Year 2025
    if Gary Bettmans Still Alive
    if the NHL can survive
    we maay fiiiiiiiiind

but thats about it. Nice to see the seed money for these brainiacs coming from public coffers though. Thats really impressive.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  5. LetsGoIslanders

LetsGoIslanders Registered User

This article was nothing but silliness. Sure, one, maybe two teams may move north of the border, but to suggest 12+, that's funny. Yes, NHL teams in Saskatoon and Regina. :laugh: This also supposes that the Canadian economy stays as it healthy as it is currently... for fifteen years. It probably won't even stay as strong as it is for two or three years.

6. Fehr Time*

Fehr Time* Guest

Not that we should expect Chipman to say otherwise, but hockey from a cost perspective has become far less manageable since the owners lockout. Teams are forced to spend more money that they do not have on player salaries, as well as insurance, travel, equipment, and a variety of other costs have skyrocketed. It will be interesting to see where the bubble ends up bursting down the road in a lot of markets if things continue on this way.

7. Fehr Time*

Fehr Time* Guest

Lol really eh? Saskatoon is the closest big city I live near and NHL hockey is not happening haha.

8. Killion

Killion Registered User

Very true, and one of the assumptions/projections in the Mowat Reports is that its all headed for a complete implosion; Armageddon. Their ideas of the wasted Post Apocalyptic Landscape remaining populated by 2 franchises in Vancouver, Calgary & Edmonton, Saskatoon & Winnipeg, 3 additions in the GTA & Southern Ontario, Quebec, Montreal & Halifax (Im surprised they by-passed Moncton, St.John & Fredericton). Crazy talk... Im quite confident that between Fehr & Bettman problems can & will be sorted.

9. Fehr Time*

Fehr Time* Guest

Yeah the level of idealism involved is actually pretty funny. Their assumptions that the current Vancouver owner would have no issues with allowing another team invade his marketshare or that teams like the Wings, Sabres, and Leafs would have no issue with an invasion of teams in S. Ontario is a bit far-fetched.

The current bubble for the NHL and other pro sports in N.A. will continue until people refuse to give public money for new arena/stadia. Then it will likely have to downsize and maybe contract itself.

10. Silliness. It sounds like a Dave Shoalts special, all back bacon.

11. Nullus Reverentia

Nullus Reverentia Hic Sunt Dracones

Helium-3 Space Pirate
    I can see 12 Canadian teams in the NHL at some point but not by 2025 and not more than 12...Like who would those be?

Quebec City, Hamilton, Second GTA, Kitchener-Waterloo, Halifax and more?

12. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan Sponsor

Management
    That might be a little excessive for the area IMO.

I could see Saskatoon perhaps getting a team? As of right now I would say that 12 is probably the most Canada could support. Halifax or Moncton being the Maritime representative.

13. MoreOrr

MoreOrr B4

By 2025, a 36-team League, in 6 Divisions, with a maximum of 9 Canadian teams.

Certainly won't be 4 teams in southern Ontario, including the Leafs.

14. Bear of Bad News

Bear of Bad News HFBoards Escape Goat

I've now tried to open the actual report three times, and it's crashed my browser three times. Must be a doozy of a report!

15. Killion

Killion Registered User

Personally, I prefer the British versions, Wiltshire Bacon & Relegation. :naughty:

16. MoreOrr

MoreOrr B4

Phoenix, the Islanders, Dallas, and Florida out... Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo, London (Ont), Quebec City, a 2nd in Toronot, and 2nds in both Montreal and Vancouver in... Mind you, that's with a quick glance. I'm sure the Canadian locations are just seen as potential options. A predictable read from a Canadian source, I'm sure.

17. Fehr Time*

Fehr Time* Guest

I just can't see how it could. At least if you went by current NHL standards for arenas. Maybe if the league downsized significantly and owning and operating teams was more affordable. Back before the 94 lockout, the league used to play 2 regular season neutral site games in Saskatoon every year at what was then a far newer Sask. Place (CU Centre now of course). It would be pretty neat if the league went back to doing something like that.

18. frontsfan2005

frontsfan2005 Registered User

Kitchener has no where to play, especially since city council is going to vote for a $9.6 mil renovation of the 60 year old Aud (to be paid back by the Rangers in 15 or so years). Unless if a private investor shows up willing to shell out a couple hundred million dollars, there will be no NHL sized rink in the area for a very long time.

I do think the area could support an NHL team just fine, if Winnipeg is able to survive with a 15,000 seat arena and a population base that is small compared to Southwestern Ontario, but with no arena, its not worth getting into a debate about.

19. Nullus Reverentia

Nullus Reverentia Hic Sunt Dracones

Helium-3 Space Pirate
    I wouldn't be surprised to see an NHL sized arena in Kitchener-Waterloo by 2025. The city despretely needs something to draw events, which the Aud can't do whatsoever anymore.

If the NHL eventually has 5+ more Canadian teams, at least 2 will be Southern Ontario teams. Still I doubt it'll be for a long time but it'll happen eventually.

Dallas will never, ever lose an NHL team. Denver would lose their team before Dallas ever would.

20. Ryan34222

Ryan34222 Registered User

looks like JMRowe got himself published..... j/k JMR, i luv yah

21. TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe Registered User

Awards:
    No Dallas but a second Vancouver team? :laugh:

I assume they just went through every team that made bad headlines in the past year and decided they should move to Canada. Nice bunch of pseudo-research there.

22. Nuclear SUV

Nuclear SUV Registered User

NHL 2025:

Quebec, Montreal, Ottawa, Boston, NYR, Brooklyn, New Jersey, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Washington, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Toronto, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Nashville, Dallas, Minnesota, Winnipeg, Colorado, Calgary, Edmonton, Grande Prairie, Vancouver, Seattle, Salt Lake City, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim

23. Nuclear SUV

With that oil boom happening in Saskatchewan, it is entirely possible a city there will boom. Williston, ND across the border has doubled its population over the last year.

24. Fehr Time*

Fehr Time* Guest

Only if the league became a different animal than it is now. I suspect that a new building would be wanted and it would likely be 100% publicly financed of course. I personally see something like that as more of a burden than a blessing. If the private sector wanted to buld their own facility and run it privately then I would support that.

Curious you mentioned Grande Prairie on your list. What makes you think GP would get a team?

25. Nuclear SUV

Its was a joke or will grow to be the next Calgary in 14 years, you decide:).

Above about a boom towns, I am talking about the extreme outside possibility a Regina or Saskatoon or Grande Prairie or Inuvik or Kelowna booms into a million person population center. I could see one of the two in Saskatchewan boom into a major center. Saskatchewan is a player in a major oil boom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.