GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2020- VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Sweeney has to have a trick or two up his sleeve. Something a little bit weird. Manly trades, go big or go home. Otherwise this offseason makes no sense at all.

I would rather trade our core into futures than watch us become like Wild - mediocre playoff team.
I agree he cant be that dumb he knows we need scoring and D. He will do something.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
f***ing hell! Every year I'm stupid enough to believe that DS has something cagey up his sleeve so that's why he's waiting. Every year it was stupid of me to believe that. And here I am again, hoping he has something up his sleeve. Smith alone isn't enough, only a good start at a full-on remedy. Preparing for the inevitable washed up vet and/or the usual no-offense backchecking and PK experts that fascinate DS so much. f***ing sucks to watch teams getting better, while DS evaluates and comes up with excuses. DS, get your shit together, man. Show some damn sack.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Columbus, Nashville. Why come here?

because options are few ?

Columbus has 13M with 4 roster spots to fill one of them is Dubois

That leaves only Nashville.
Does he want to go to Nashville?
Do they want him, especially long term , the dude is gonna be 32 2 months into the next season.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
true but if the bruins are on his 10 team list. Management might want to step back and look in the mirror and figure out why guys like Schmidt and Hall don’t want to come there.
Ummm could it be that they don't want to play for this management team?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I wanna get as many seventh round picks as I can. Moore for a 7th and wags will easily go for a 7th. That will open cap space huge and get dadonov in here. Try to swing oel trade and we set. Plus we get 4 7th round picks. That would be so cool.
That would make it what, 10 seventh round picks for next year?

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Would you rather have Bergeron playing or Bergeron as a GM?

Him playing with this roster. Awesome plays from first line, as usual. PP a bit weaker now that Krug is gone. Smith scores 21 goals, DeBrusk 24. Mcavoy plays 51 minutes a night. Rask has .939 with 11 shutouts. We lose to Tampa in 6.

Him as a GM? He knows the issues of the team and actually cares about the team. First he gets Krejci a solid winger because Krejci has been tortured for like 7 seasons now. Bergeron also gets us a solid LD and gives nice deals to our RFA's.

All I'm saying is holy shit Sweeney does things bad.

He always looks for something special in draft. Everybody else has a Volvo and he has to, HAS TO come to a party with a Moskvitch.

He doesn't address the issues. Secondary scoring and 2nd line winger? Lets go for a 3rd liner and say he's a 2nd liner. Lets sign this injury prone dman before our captain.

He always says he tried. Toffoli went for like 4.5? We could have paid 5 for him, we got space. Hall went for 8, MVP caliber guy for 2nd line, we got space. Schmidt for 3rd? We couldnt make a better deal? What the f*** does he offer?

Imagine what we could be with a GM that has a thrive to win. Our teams state now is every GM's dream. Competitive team with 0 bad contracts and many great contracts with a big market original six team. I hate that we are being disrespected by Sweeney.

JHockey14

Mar 7, 2008
CT
Put the pitch forks down lol

we have no idea what’s been going on behind closed doors. By all accounts Sweeney made a proposal for OEL. The ask was stud. No one would do that. By all accounts he made an offer to hall. Hall chose buffalo. Than specifically said it was easier to go to a bad team with low expectations than to go to a good team and fail. We don’t want guys like that. Schmidt was very well liked in Vegas. Is it possible he asked for Vancouver and they obliged. And I commend him on not panicking and throwing money at free agents. Who ever is left is more of the same. We don’t know what else he has cooking. If this is the team we go to camp with flame away. But there’s still a loooong way to go. We have assets. We have cap room. Hopefully some trade discussions are going on. I can’t really fault him on free agency. Now the draft that’s on him lol but I’m giving him a chance

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
There are players all over the league who have buddys on teams everywhere. A lot of these guys have played with and against each other since they were midgets. No bearing on it .

I don't get what Pagnotta is trying to say here.

Schmidt could of been dealt to 20 teams without his approval. So is he saying that none of those 20 teams would give up more than a 2022 3rd rounder, and Vegas was forced to approach the Schmidt camp to get approval to be sent to Vancouver as they were on his 10-team no trade list?

Reactions: Gordoff

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Would you rather have Bergeron playing or Bergeron as a GM?

Him playing with this roster. Awesome plays from first line, as usual. PP a bit weaker now that Krug is gone. Smith scores 21 goals, DeBrusk 24. Mcavoy plays 51 minutes a night. Rask has .939 with 11 shutouts. We lose to Tampa in 6.

Him as a GM? He knows the issues of the team and actually cares about the team. First he gets Krejci a solid winger because Krejci has been tortured for like 7 seasons now. Bergeron also gets us a solid LD and gives nice deals to our RFA's.

All I'm saying is holy shit Sweeney does things bad.

He always looks for something special in draft. Everybody else has a Volvo and he has to, HAS TO come to a party with a Moskvitch.

He doesn't address the issues. Secondary scoring and 2nd line winger? Lets go for a 3rd liner and say he's a 2nd liner. Lets sign this injury prone dman before our captain.

He always says he tried. Toffoli went for like 4.5? We could have paid 5 for him, we got space. Hall went for 8, MVP caliber guy for 2nd line, we got space. Schmidt for 3rd? We couldnt make a better deal? What the f*** does he offer?

Imagine what we could be with a GM that has a thrive to win. Our teams state now is every GM's dream. Competitive team with 0 bad contracts and many great contracts with a big market original six team. I hate that we are being disrespected by Sweeney.

I did my best to understand the Kevan Miller deal but I just can't wrap my head around it. Terrible deal all around, whether its the timing or the cap hit or that the player hasn't played for 2 years lol

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Put the pitch forks down lol

we have no idea what’s been going on behind closed doors. By all accounts Sweeney made a proposal for OEL. The ask was stud. No one would do that. By all accounts he made an offer to hall. Hall chose buffalo. Than specifically said it was easier to go to a bad team with low expectations than to go to a good team and fail. We don’t want guys like that. Schmidt was very well liked in Vegas. Is it possible he asked for Vancouver and they obliged. And I commend him on not panicking and throwing money at free agents. Who ever is left is more of the same. We don’t know what else he has cooking. If this is the team we go to camp with flame away. But there’s still a loooong way to go. We have assets. We have cap room. Hopefully some trade discussions are going on. I can’t really fault him on free agency. Now the draft that’s on him lol but I’m giving him a chance

Back to the Hall thing.

OK, so assuming he made a 3-year offer to Hall (I think he did), and Hall declined. Is there a rule preventing Sweeney from asking Hall's camp what it is he's looking for? Isn't that what a negotiation is? If the 3-year offer was basically a take it or leave it, is Sweeney naive enough to think that would entice Hall to sign in Boston? Did Sweeney even ask the Hall camp what they are after in regards to term? Would he actually be adverse to a 1-year deal (why the heck would he?)?

Whether it's Krug, or Chara, or Miller, or Hall, or a 2-year offer to Dadonov, or not even reaching out to Pietrangelo, and now Schmidt. Something doesn't add up here.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Maybe, since Vegas knew they were getting nothing, they asked Schmidt what his preference was? I mean, why not do the guy a solid if you know you're getting nothing back but salary relief.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Correct. No one wants to come to Boston because the writing is on the wall here.

I'm starting to wonder if they are even all that interested in bringing in players with any sort of term to Boston.

It's like they have some sort of secret plan moving forward, and they don't want anyone (well as few as possible) under contract past 2022-23. Right now only Marchand and Coyle are signed past that season. Pastrnak is a UFA the summer of 2023. There is something were not seeing here Coach P.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He hasn't played a NHL season beyond 64 games due to injury. It's a risk for sure.

I think it’s less of a problem than you think.

A) I think he’s only been full time for two years, one of which is this shortened season

edit: 3 seasons

B) his injuries are basically a shot to the face and a dirty hit to the head that got the offender 3 games. It would be one thing if it was a shoulder or a wrist or a reoccurring groin but I’m willing to take the risk with that track record

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
So the feeling right now is that the difference between our line-up next year vs the playoffs....

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Kase
Bjork - Coyle - Smith
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

So Smith (while a solid player and a signing I'm happy about) is the only change to the offense :huh:

On defense I couldn't even begin to imagine lol

Chara - McAvoy
Grz - Carlo
Lauzon/Moore - Clifton/Miller

So the same defense minus Krug....:(

Bubble team and playoff DNQ if even one of the top line guys goes down for more than 5 games.

Reactions: duffy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad