Midland TX
Shocking that we can’t get anything done

Sweeney has a plan...

giphy.gif

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Just knowing that the offer to Hall was 3 years and Dadonov was 2 years it makes me wonder if they’re not willing to give term out past their perceived window

Possibly, but I see at least 2 problems with that line of thinking.

1. The Bs only have one Cup to show from their recent era as a contending team, and it's 9 long years ago. One is better than none, but I'd still say it leaves you at a point where if you truly believe the window is still open, then you do what it takes to build the best short-term roster you can, with only half an eye on the long-term future. That probably involves giving some guys more attractive, longer contracts.

2. By offering only short deals you instantly make your team less attractive as a destination and considerably limit the pool of prospective incoming players. Which again only compromises your immediate Cup prospects.

I said a little while ago that I'd rather see the Bruins either go all in for the next year or just suck it up and start the rebuilt now, as opposed to just muddling along for another 12 months and hoping that's good enough. I still stand by that, and I don't think a short-term deal approach does anything but feed into that dreaded half-hearted, cautious mentality where we likely have a decent season just to get dumped by Tampa or similar again.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
A bit shocked Don didn’t nab Schmidt for that price, as I see others here are as well.

He’s similar value to Krug in my eyes, but plus a better 5v5 game. I think he could have been real could with McAvoy, the transition game would have been elite.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Lets see what Jakub has and would not mind teaming him with Big Z

This is why I'm not too upset why the Bruins are not signing more of these so so vets

Donny has had many picks under his belt (especially 2015). Ironing out the details of their games down at the AHL to the tee. Zboril, Frederic, Senyshyn come to mind.

Vaaka also showed some encouraging flashes up with the parent club. I still remember one pre season game, he dangled around two defenders and carried the puck inside the offensive zone line and made a nice pass. We really have little idea, what he is capable of.

If Senyshyn, Stud, Frederic, Vaaka all get looks and a chance .... And Senyshyn scores 15 goals, Stud 20 assists, Frederic over 100 hits and Vaaka solid 2 way play with ability to break up plays with his skating/carry the puck out of the zone himself.... well the non so so FA signings and money savings would pay off

the only player I wanted at this stage was Hall. Has that 1 on 1 game changing talent. But he made an interesting decision I guess you can say

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Many more teams than that are in tight with a few M$$ left to spend and several roster spots to fill. Many of the only teams that have available cap space are the teams that aren't interested in signing UFA's.

Preds , CBJ, Panthers, Sabers and Bruins are some of the few teams who have cap space and needs.

Then there are the rebuilding teams like LA, Detroit, NYR, Devils and Ottawa who aren't likely to go for UFA's

Very few options for the remaining UFA's

Excellent post & thanks for sharing to give us it all at once pretty well.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I feel like Sweeney mightve backed himself into a corner...maybe that offer out to Dadonov is money he isnt willing to spend until he loses out on him.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
A bit shocked Don didn’t nab Schmidt for that price, as I see others here are as well.

He’s similar value to Krug in my eyes, but plus a better 5v5 game. I think he could have been real could with McAvoy, the transition game would have been elite.

When do you want to provide a chance for Vaaka or Zboril? When they are 30?

Its time to let these former 1st round picks get their chances

Bruins D core will be fine. Without Chara and Krug, it will be much more mobile in general

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
When do you want to provide a chance for Vaaka or Zboril? When they are 30?

Its time to let these former 1st round picks get their chances

Bruins D core will be fine. Without Chara and Krug, it will be much more mobile in general

I like that idea, but it’s not enough for me to turn down the very good value of Schmidt for a 3rd. Those kids can wait or get traded when that player is going for that price.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I like that idea, but it’s not enough for me to turn down the very good value of Schmidt for a 3rd. Those kids can wait or get traded when that player is going for that price.

see what I mean lol

This is a retool season. Its perfect with covid and cap crunch situation

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Apparently is the Vegas GM, McCrimmon, said the trade market is gridlocked due to the flat cap.
It has not stopped his team acquiring the number 1 deeman. The Vegas GM also made 2 trades and signed 4 guys in the last 2 days. Sweeney who has 11 million to explore a way to make his team better has made 3 moves total.

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad