GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2020- VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Studnicka would be closer to 5th best prospect on a lot of stacked prospect teams, so it’s not really fair to think Arizona should not have asked for him and call it exorbitant because we have such a shallow pool

That's a bit of a stretch. There are many teams he wouldn't be their best prospect, but he's an A-level prospect IMO.

But if your trying to emphasize that Boston's prospect pool is shallow, I agree with you.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
It will, absolutely. It is going to hurt regardless of who they get to run the point on that PP.

But Schmidt is a square peg. Regardless of how frustrating it has been, watching them turn their noses up at several round pegs since a week prior to FA, Schmidt was not a fit here, both in position or money.
Oh I think he was a perfect fit. A true number 2 Dman on a cup team. 6 mil for a guy who can do it all. Vegas will miss this guy in a big way. Watch him play. He has the it factor. A big reason why his team was so good

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Oh I think he was a perfect fit. A true number 2 Dman on a cup team. 6 mil for a guy who can do it all. Vegas will miss this guy in a big way. Watch him play. He has the it factor. A big reason why his team was so good

Seriously there was a quote on HNIC during this year's playoffs from a Vegas player (I can't remember which one) and he said himself that many nights Schmidt is their best player. Like you said, he's a legit No.2 D-man. And his contract isn't terrible. Might be one year too long, but the AAV is very fair.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Just knowing that the offer to Hall was 3 years and Dadonov was 2 years it makes me wonder if they’re not willing to give term out past their perceived window

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Seriously there was a quote on HNIC during this year's playoffs from a Vegas player (I can't remember which one) and he said himself that many nights Schmidt is their best player. Like you said, he's a legit No.2 D-man. And his contract isn't terrible. Might be one year too long, but the AAV is very fair.
Yes. When you see him play he can be the best player on the ice. He is a late bloomer and hasn’t played a lot of hockey for a 29 yo. He was having his best season to date. I think the best was yet to come. I honestly think at 34, his last year he would be just as good as he is today.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Just knowing that the offer to Hall was 3 years and Dadonov was 2 years it makes me wonder if they’re not willing to give term out past their perceived window

Might be something to this. Smith was a three year deal as well. I am guessing they know the window is closing fast and don't want to commit a lot past that when they don't know what the team will look it and what needs they will have at the end of that time. But we can't consider this because it destroys a lot of narratives.

Reactions: CDJ

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Seeing the Schmidt deal is frustrating, but we just don't know what he wanted. As others have said, he may have wanted to stay west, or had other reasons to desire landing in Vancouver or anywhere else. Impossible to be too critical without knowing the full facts.
Sweeten the pot and let him talk to Boston

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I'd put money on Sweeney not even having the conversation.

Seriously he couldn't even make a courtesy call to the Pietrangelo camp. I doubt he had any discussions about Nate Schmidt. The only reason he even talked OEL was it came out in the media OEL was only willing to go to Boston or Vancouver.

Speaking of which, aren't Vancouver lucky now they passed on OEL. Grabbing Schmidt for basically a song is a lot better than giving up valuable assets for OEL.
No assets and a better player. Saves over 2.6 mil and a shorter deal. UNREAL

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Nate Schmidt for a measly 2022 3rd round pick. Is Sweeney using smoke signals to compete on these bids or do we only look for broken down deemen. Who is going to be left, Boychuk at 6 million cap and Chara for 3. He better pull a rabbit or two out this week. I think we are Bergeroning on a groin pull.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
So, who's in cap jail right now? According to CapFriendly.com:

Arizona - Nearly $2.0 million over with 21 players under contract. Their only RFA is Christian Fischer, who shouldn't cost too much. You could probably make a run at Goligoski or maybe go back and make a bid on OEL. I'm sure they'd love to move guys like Stepan, Hjalmarsson, or Demers.

St. Louis - Nearly $1.2 million over with 21 players under contract. Their only RFA is Vince Dunn, who I'm thinking is a candidate to get around $2.5 AAV. I think they'd like to deal Marco Scandella, but they'd probably have to attach something decent to him.

Vegas - Even after the Schmidt deal, they're still nearly $1.0 million over with 21 players signed. I'm sure they'd like to move either Alec Martinez or Chandler Stephenson.

Anaheim - Ducks are $900,000 over with 22 players signed. That only includes one goalie, so they're gonna have to add at least one more salary. I'm not sure what they're gonna do - I don't see anyone here who's an obvious candidate to be moved.

Montreal - They're $350,000 over with 22 players under contract. They still need to sign Hudon, but that shouldn't cost too much. I don't think they're going to have too much of an issue getting under.

Washington - $225,000 over the cap, with only 20 players on their roster. Jonas Siegenthaler is their lone RFA, and I'm sure they'll want him back. They have kind of a potpourri of moderately-priced defensemen that I'd want nothing to do with. They've also got some interesting cap issues brewing for next season, as well.

Winnipeg - Less than $30,000 under the cap, but with only 21 player signed. Still need to sign Roslovic as an RFA. I could see them trying to move Adam Lowry or Andrew Copp.

Tampa Bay - $9,0 million under the cap, but they still need to sign Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak. Still think there's a chance someone throws an offer sheet at one of those guys.

Many more teams than that are in tight with a few M$$ left to spend and several roster spots to fill. Many of the only teams that have available cap space are the teams that aren't interested in signing UFA's.

Preds , CBJ, Panthers, Sabers and Bruins are some of the few teams who have cap space and needs.

Then there are the rebuilding teams like LA, Detroit, NYR, Devils and Ottawa who aren't likely to go for UFA's

Very few options for the remaining UFA's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad