Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft thread: LA Kings select Quinton Byfield 2nd Overall (Part 3)

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
If I am LA I do not even approach the subject of moving the number to pick until New York makes their pick and officially takes Laf.

Knowing our luck we do do a trade with Ottawa given them the second overall pick, New York surprised everyone by taking Byfield, and Ottawa takes Lafreniere.

I know there’s a 1% chance of this happening, but I do not move that second overall pick until it’s time to make that pick. Plus if I do I really want it that bad maybe they putting up more at the last moment

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
A couple of the writers for elite prospects were on the PDO cast and both had QB as their #1 pick. I gotta check myself from getting overly excited about getting this kid into the Kings prospect pool.

Reactions: dick341

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
#28 doesn’t move the needle unless they know they can get their guy if they move down. Reading into Hovens comments from last year, they liked Zegras but felt like #5 was too high to take him. Maybe they tried to move down but couldn’t go too far much like the Hickey draft. Boston was rumored to want Hickey at #8 and they didn’t want to lose their guy.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
A couple of the writers for elite prospects were on the PDO cast and both had QB as their #1 pick. I gotta check myself from getting overly excited about getting this kid into the Kings prospect pool.
Just for the record, it was who THEY would take at 1, and we know Cam and a few others at DP are as high on Byfield as anyone (obviously the extreme minority having him at 1). Unless we get a godfather offer at the last minute, there's as close to a 100% chance possible we take Laf. I would personally take Byfield at 2 if I was y'all and call it a day, but there's no worry that Laf is not going 1.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Yes, but from what the Kings are hearing.... Ott is extremely high on Byfield. The Kings are just leaving every avenue available to themselves.

Kings are high on Byfield and Stuetzle. They see Byfield as the best player, but not by much. They know Center is not a need for them and if Ott is willing to overpay, Kings will listen.

Your info is false. Our insiders note that we have Stutzle ahead of Byfield.

Your the classic new guy on a forum claiming to be an insider. We've seen this stuff 100's of times before.

Reactions: The Lukeman

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
And you guys thought we're relentless in bringing up past mistakes...

Debate at the draft table began immediately between Tyler Myers, Erik Karlsson and Colten Teubert. The first two had higher upsides on offense. The latter possessed an old-school physical presence.

Their pre-draft prospect list was reevaluated in the heat of the moment. Amid a five-season playoff drought, Teubert’s toughness tilted the scales. The Kings swapped picks with Buffalo to get him at No. 13.

Twelve years later, Teubert has become one of the biggest busts in recent franchise history — the player picked over Myers, the 2010 Calder Trophy-winner as rookie of the year, and Karlsson, a two-time Norris Trophy winner as the league’s top defenseman.

“I’ve run that draft over 10,000 times, I’ve run that draft over this month, just the scenarios, all the time,” Yannetti said, tormented still by the decision even though the Kings got Slava Voynov, another impact right-handed defenseman, in the second round.

“The procedure on that pick was wrong. Getting Voynov at 32 and Drew at two, there’s so much that was right. But the whole staff saw that 12th pick going wrong. … It should never have happened. There’s a lot of things that bother me about that draft.”

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
From what I was told, the thought process with this was to get 28 and maybe another 2nd. and move the 28 with multiple seconds to get into the late lottery. The Kings are really high on a defenseman and goalie in that area.
I think it would be hard to give 28 + (even all three 2cds) to get to that 9-11 range.

La sports fan

Oct 5, 2020
Your info is false. Our insiders note that we have Stutzle ahead of Byfield.

Your the classic new guy on a forum claiming to be an insider. We've seen this stuff 100's of times before.

We will see soon enough.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I just have a hard time seeing the Kings holding on to all 3 2nd rounders. It would be easy to see how they would have spoken with multiple teams about players being available when they are picking and have discussed parameters of a deal.

Every year, guys slip so this seems more likely to happen than them doing anything with the #2 pick. No reason to do anything early.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
More like 14-18 range.
I’ll bite, not gonna say you don’t know someone either.

Askarov seems like the only first round goalie. He may be available but I think he goes 11-14 range.

Would they be looking Euro dman or a guy like Schneider?

Really don’t want a defense first dman in the first round.

La sports fan

Oct 5, 2020
I just have a hard time seeing the Kings holding on to all 3 2nd rounders. It would be easy to see how they would have spoken with multiple teams about players being available when they are picking and have discussed parameters of a deal.

Every year, guys slip so this seems more likely to happen than them doing anything with the #2 pick. No reason to do anything early.

Exactly, that's why they are setting up plenty of avenues. It's just due diligence, they want to be as prepared as possible.

La sports fan

Oct 5, 2020
I’ll bite, not gonna say you don’t know someone either.

Askarov seems like the only first round goalie. He may be available but I think he goes 11-14 range.

Would they be looking Euro dman or a guy like Schneider?

Really don’t want a defense first dman in the first round.

If you look at my earlier post, I said the Kings wanted to move up to late lottery or mid 1st. for a d-man or goalie. I named the d-man just a bit ago, u hit the nail on the goalie.

Reactions: LAKings88

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
They could sit at 35 or package it with another pick to move up into the 20s to get one of them.

Hoven said on the radio today it looks like the Kings are set on picking at 35.

I've put up a few articles of who could be in the Kings' wheelhouse on Wednesday. Especially with how erratic this draft could go, we may have some fallers.

I unfortunately had a lot of stuff interfere with my ability to contribute more articles - my apologies for that. But hopefully one or two outside of Byfield get picked. But we're preparing to have some content ready to go.

Hoven's calling his shot that it's Byfield at 2 and D at 35, which is why a few articles recently have been defensemen.

Reactions: LAKings88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad