Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft thread: LA Kings select Quinton Byfield 2nd Overall (Part 3)

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
GARRIOCH: The talk is heating up with the first round of the NHL draft set for Tuesday | Ottawa Sun

"While most feel the Los Angeles Kings are going to take centre Quinton Byfield of the Sudbury Wolves No. 2 overall after the New York Rangers make Alexis Lafreniere of the Rimouski Oceanic the No. 1 selection, there’s a growing sentiment general manager Rob Blake might surprise everybody".

"With assistant GM Mike Futa shown the door earlier this year, the belief is the Kings thinking may have changed where the draft is concerned and the club might be leaning towards forward Tim Stutzle of Mannheim in the German league with the No. 2 pick".
Blake will run the draft with director of player personnel Nelson Emerson and top scout Mark Yanetti.
“That thinking may be out there because Futa isn’t there anymore,” a league executive said Saturday. “It’s not that Blake and Emerson aren’t Ontario guys, but Futa was more of an OHL guy. Blake and Emerson are from Ontario, but they’re less OHL-slanted because they’re both Bowling State University guys.”

"The executive also said the Kings may be fuelling these rumours of taking Stutzle to see if they can get the Senators to pay something to move to No. 2. Dorion has stated publicly he’d be pleased to get either Stutzle or Byfield at No. 3 so it’s doubtful you’re going to see a switch of picks.
One aspect you have to realize is projections change daily. One day you hear the Kings are taking the 6-foot-4 Byfield and the next you’re told they’re leaning towards Stuztle. By Tuesday afternoon people will have a good idea which way Blake is going to go but until then the guessing game will continue"

Reactions: Telos

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
The more we hear about a shortened season, the more I think if Byfield is the choice, let him spend the whole year in Sudbury, like maybe don't even bring him to camp (I know they will, just my thought).

Token

May 15, 2019
The more we hear about a shortened season, the more I think if Byfield is the choice, let him spend the whole year in Sudbury, like maybe don't even bring him to camp (I know they will, just my thought).
There is the Schenn maneuver option as well ...

Give him a handful of games in the NHL, then pack him out to the WJC, then to the Wolves.

Gives you more time to evaluate where he really stands.

The extra few months of growth for these kids can be significant when it comes to strength and maturity.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
There is the Schenn maneuver option as well ...

Give him a handful of games in the NHL, then pack him out to the WJC, then to the Wolves.

Gives you more time to evaluate where he really stands.

The extra few months of growth for these kids can be significant when it comes to strength and maturity.

I'm not asking this to be argumentative, just wondering your thought, what if the season doesn't start prior to December 10-15th (approx. start date of Hockey Canada camp)?

Do you send him to Sudbury to start his season (the OHL is rumored to be wanting to start around December 1st), then he goes to the WJC, do you bring him to the NHL after? (Probably January 10th)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Jesus Christ haha. Garrioch with the late entry to the Ottawa-based conspiracy series.

"“That thinking may be out there because Futa isn’t there anymore,” a league executive said Saturday. “It’s not that Blake and Emerson aren’t Ontario guys, but Futa was more of an OHL guy. Blake and Emerson are from Ontario, but they’re less OHL-slanted because they’re both Bowling State University guys.”" Is up there with that coffee runner's tinfoil. Trying so god damn hard to connect nonexistent dots.

Buckle up, gonna be a long day and a half :laugh: I know I'm not going to be very productive at work!

Token

May 15, 2019
I'm not asking this to be argumentative, just wondering your thought, what if the season doesn't start prior to December 10-15th (approx. start date of Hockey Canada camp)?

Do you send him to Sudbury to start his season (the OHL is rumored to be wanting to start around December 1st), then he goes to the WJC, do you bring him to the NHL after? (Probably January 10th)
No argument here, the timelines will be crazy this season.

Yes, that can be an option.

Heck, Daly even said the NHL season is leaning to a January start recently. That would put the WJC before the season.

I do think it would be really good to see him in some kind of Kings training camp.

lots of unknown.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Jesus Christ haha. Garrioch with the late entry to the Ottawa-based conspiracy series.

"“That thinking may be out there because Futa isn’t there anymore,” a league executive said Saturday. “It’s not that Blake and Emerson aren’t Ontario guys, but Futa was more of an OHL guy. Blake and Emerson are from Ontario, but they’re less OHL-slanted because they’re both Bowling State University guys.”" Is up there with that coffee runner's tinfoil. Trying so god damn hard to connect nonexistent dots.

Buckle up, gonna be a long day and a half :laugh: I know I'm not going to be very productive at work!

So they’re drafting a kid nobody has heard of from Bowling Green with the #2 pick!

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
GARRIOCH: The talk is heating up with the first round of the NHL draft set for Tuesday | Ottawa Sun

"While most feel the Los Angeles Kings are going to take centre Quinton Byfield of the Sudbury Wolves No. 2 overall after the New York Rangers make Alexis Lafreniere of the Rimouski Oceanic the No. 1 selection, there’s a growing sentiment general manager Rob Blake might surprise everybody".

"With assistant GM Mike Futa shown the door earlier this year, the belief is the Kings thinking may have changed where the draft is concerned and the club might be leaning towards forward Tim Stutzle of Mannheim in the German league with the No. 2 pick".
Blake will run the draft with director of player personnel Nelson Emerson and top scout Mark Yanetti.
“That thinking may be out there because Futa isn’t there anymore,” a league executive said Saturday. “It’s not that Blake and Emerson aren’t Ontario guys, but Futa was more of an OHL guy. Blake and Emerson are from Ontario, but they’re less OHL-slanted because they’re both Bowling State University guys.”

"The executive also said the Kings may be fuelling these rumours of taking Stutzle to see if they can get the Senators to pay something to move to No. 2. Dorion has stated publicly he’d be pleased to get either Stutzle or Byfield at No. 3 so it’s doubtful you’re going to see a switch of picks.
One aspect you have to realize is projections change daily. One day you hear the Kings are taking the 6-foot-4 Byfield and the next you’re told they’re leaning towards Stuztle. By Tuesday afternoon people will have a good idea which way Blake is going to go but until then the guessing game will continue"

This is a classic Click Bait article. I expect more from Garrioch. The Kings are going to not draft Byfield because they are Bowling State University guys.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019

Blake and Emerson went to the same college = Kings take German prospect. That's the smoothest brained take I've seen yet on this.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Kings will select Byfield according to Hoven/sources around the Kings organization.

No way the Kings will pass on QB. Imagine a faster and stronger Kirby Dach moving the puck up the ice. Stutzle has a lot going for him as well. I just happened to watch his highlights after watching the old Kings/Flames (Krush) game 7. It was scary how TS' passes looked like the great one's. Instantly passing a puck thru multiple sticks, right on the tape and just ducking out of the way before getting clobbered. Of course the great one wasn't playing in a bier league.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
I guess I'm in the minority here but I want us to pick Stutzle.

I have been 50/50 on either, since the lotto...wrote more on here in favor of Stutzle, just because 90% of posts were pr0-Byfield.
Am still about 50/50 and would be fine with Kings sending #2 and #50 to Sens for #3 and their #28 overall and then having #3, #28 and #35.

I'm slightly Byfield atm. I did see Yannetti state (can't recall where, been lots of blurbs and such) saying this was "his hardest decision yet"
I have looked for that again and cannot find it. Did anyone see / hear that? That clearly states (if he's shooting straight) that it's
that close, with the one I trust the most, with this pick and future King.

I am not worried about the 2 most stated Stutzle critques : his shot and smaller ice play.
He looks pretty strong now in that beach photo...WAY bigger and more muscular than
last yrs phenom, Jack Hughes. Tim is not slight and going to be very strong and about 6'1" 205 when playing in the NHL. His shot will get better. He's an intensely hard worker and he's probably NEVER
had to work on his shot, until going to DEL last year...he had no problem, netting a goal per game, prior
to DEL. So, I am sure he now knows he must improve that a lot and will.

Smaller surface? He's the best skater in the draft and why shouldn't he use the full ice surface in DEL?
He will certainly adapt and take shorter routes - this will probably actually be an advantage to him,
as his edgework is elite and he will make plays faster...his brain is #1 in the draft and he will have no problems making adjustments and elevating his game...and like ALL young elite players, it will take 2-3 years to get there. Byfield, Hughes, Kakko, all in the same boat. They all take about 3 yrs. Unless you're McDavid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guitpik and funky

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Hoven interview with Yanetti was interesting.

Blake’s philosophy isn’t the same as Lombardi necessarily. Pecking order of positions for example. For example Lombardi May have taken Byfield over Stutzle because he is a primary center with all else being equal. Blake may not measure prospects the same way.

Also the talk about not getting euros over sooner makes me wonder about Futa. Wasn’t he a large part of that process?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This is true.
dikembe-mutombo-finger-wave-gif-7.gif

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
Maybe I'm wayyyyy off. But I think if we want immediate impact, we go TS. I just think he will get more playing time with our current roster. And after the finish to the last season(7 straight Ws), I think we draft to win now. But you could also make that same argument for QB as well, so.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad