Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft thread: LA Kings select Quinton Byfield 2nd Overall (Part 3)

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
‎The Hockey PDOcast on Apple Podcasts

On Hockey PDOCast, they had a mock draft based on where the players should be drafted and not where they will be picked. All three people said that QB should be #1 and LAF @ #2. They weren’t sold on TS - concerns about his perimeter play, passing and whether he can produce in tight situations.

This isn't the first time I've seen this or the idea that QB would be the #1 pick for many of the last drafts but the Matthews or McDavid draft. How f***ing exciting is it that we are potentially drafting a 1OA player?! Awesome...

La sports fan

Oct 5, 2020
Not claiming to be an Insider. But I heard the Kings and Senators are talking deal for pick swaps.......

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This isn't the first time I've seen this or the idea that QB would be the #1 pick for many of the last drafts but the Matthews or McDavid draft. How f***ing exciting is it that we are potentially drafting a 1OA player?! Awesome...

Exactly. I've made the point elsewhere that if Lafreniere didn't exist people would be absolutely ecstatic about the Byfield/Stutzle duel instead of trying to find everything wrong with them. Imagine how he would be talked about as a 1OA if Lafreniere weren't here. "Malkin 2.0" etc.

Token

May 15, 2019
Y’all are gonna be crying in your soup when Stutzle drops down and the Ducks take him ...

... and this story never ends in our lifetime...

;)

La sports fan

Oct 5, 2020
What gives it away? The first post created is a 'believe it or not' theme? LOL....that's some real credibility there.

Sorry everyone, I am not an Insider, like I previously stated. I'm getting this info from someone that is related to someone that works for Kings. Is it true? I don't know, but I know they are related to someone for sure and I thought it'd be cool to share what I heard. I could stop if you guys want me too.

La sports fan

Oct 5, 2020
Dorian has said he's open to moving the 28th pick, but that he's 99% sure the 3rd and 5th are not for sale. It ain't happening.

Yes, but from what the Kings are hearing.... Ott is extremely high on Byfield. The Kings are just leaving every avenue available to themselves.

Kings are high on Byfield and Stuetzle. They see Byfield as the best player, but not by much. They know Center is not a need for them and if Ott is willing to overpay, Kings will listen.

Last edited:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I do believe that the Kings have floated both Byfield & TS leanings in hopes to get Ottawa to give up something to exchange #3 for #2.....and Kings still get their true preferred guy. But that always happens across all sports drafts. Occasionally it works, but usually not. It's smart. I believe 100% the Kings have their preferred guy and have for a while (weeks).

I'm sure the Kings also had a convo with NYRs too about #1 -- and that quickly ended. Again, that's nothing surprising. All teams talk a lot to gauge interest...rarely does any of it materialize into substantial discussions. We never hear about 99% of it.

Reactions: La sports fan

La sports fan

Oct 5, 2020
I do believe that the Kings have floated both Byfield & TS leanings in hopes to get Ottawa to give up something to exchange #3 for #2.....and Kings still get their true preferred guy. But that always happens across all sports drafts. Occasionally it works, but usually not. It's smart. I believe 100% the Kings have their preferred guy and have for a while (weeks).

I'm sure the Kings also had a convo with NYRs too about #1 -- and that quickly ended. Again, that's nothing surprising. All teams talk a lot to gauge interest...rarely does any of it materialize into substantial discussions. We never hear about 99% of it.

Exactly, I can say Kings did contact Rangers and they where turned away real quick.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Yanetti went on record that if he gets an offer for #2 and it is the #3 and #5 for #2 he will do it.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
The #28 pick really isn't that interesting enough to combine with #3. If I were LA, I wouldn't touch that because it's basically almost a 2nd rounder.

No chance OTT would trade both #3 and #5 for our pick. It's a massive overpay.

Now if Ottawa was going to go this route, I would be interested:

LA: #2, #35, #50, #60
OTT: #3, #5

I don't see this as a good move for OTT though because giving away 2 top 5 picks is a lot even if they are getting 3 2nd rounders in return. OTT would have to be completely over the moon on QB to make a deal like that in my opinion.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Yanetti went on record that if he gets an offer for #2 and it is the #3 and #5 for #2 he will do it.

He should. That's a no-brainer. Getting your pick TS and either Raymond, Perfetti or Sanderson -- i'd take that easy.

The #28 pick -- i'd only do that deal if i was 100% set on taking TS. Easy deal to make and pick up an asset. I'd then trade #28/35 together to move up as far as i could in the 1st round.
But if we're going to take Byfield (no matter how close TS is behind), then NO WAY do I make that trade. 3/5 is the only way to move me off Byfield.

La sports fan

Oct 5, 2020
The #28 pick really isn't that interesting enough to combine with #3. If I were LA, I wouldn't touch that because it's basically almost a 2nd rounder.

No chance OTT would trade both #3 and #5 for our pick. It's a massive overpay.

Now if Ottawa was going to go this route, I would be interested:

LA: #2, #35, #50, #60
OTT: #3, #5

I don't see this as a good move for OTT though because giving away 2 top 5 picks is a lot even if they are getting 3 2nd rounders in return. OTT would have to be completely over the moon on QB to make a deal like that in my opinion.

From what I was told, the thought process with this was to get 28 and maybe another 2nd. and move the 28 with multiple seconds to get into the late lottery. The Kings are really high on a defenseman and goalie in that area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad