GDT: NHL Entry Draft: 2021 Edition of No Finns Allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
59. Brent Johnson — RHD, Sioux Falls Stampede, 5-foot-11
Johnson was a superb even-strength defender in the USHL this year, driving results in all areas and visibly impacting the game in all three zones as a first-year player who logged big minutes. His 0.40 primary points per game ranked third among all USHL defencemen behind only 20-year-old Bruins 2020 second-round pick and defenceman of the year winner Mason Lohrei and 20-year-old Ducks 2019 fourth-round pick Henry Thrun, who was a standout defenceman at Harvard a year ago and was playing in the USHL because the Ivy League schools put their programs on pause. Johnson was also a hugely effective defensive player with the Stampede, outscoring the opposition 64-44 (59.3 goals-for percentage) with him on the ice at evens while being outscored 52-88 (37.1 goals-for percentage) with him off the ice at evens. Those are pretty stunning results. There’s restraint to Johnson’s game where he doesn’t attempt to force plays or try to do too much, so you won’t often see him try to take over on his own or make a “pull-you-out-of-your seat” play but he’s comfortable with the puck on his stick and he’s elusive and poised under pressure. Sound footwork helps him get out of trouble and advance play in the right direction, and I like his stick detail defensively a lot. Once he gets a little more assertive and builds some power into his game, there should be another level for him to reach in college at North Dakota.
Here’s Sioux Falls assistant coach Brett Skinner on Johnson: “I believe in him as a pro player and I believe he fits into what NHL teams are trying to do now in terms of playing fast. As a defenceman now, you can’t just be a defensive defenceman, you can’t just be an offensive defenceman, and he kind of fits that mould with the way the game is going and should be going.”

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The Caps seem to have a blue line pipeline all built on speed now. On both sides.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
At some point, they need to start moving all these defenders they've drafted. Either to the NHL or for other players. The forward cupboard is pretty bare comparatively.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
This seems to be a higher upside pick than most of the guys they pick up out of the USHL/NCAA track. Excited about this one.

I still have high hopes for Mitchell Gibson even if he lost a year to the pandemic. I understand his resistance to go to the USHL to continue his Harvard education. Hopefully he picks up right where he left off this season.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
5'11 160 IBs screams AHL player but with the trade back we must like him. I havent watched him play at all so I cant comment on his game.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I don't have a problem with having lots of dman prospects... most of them will never make it.

Seems like the value for a top 4 Dman has shot up considerably these past few years.

Reactions: um
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad