GDT: NHL Entry Draft: 2021 Edition of No Finns Allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Blame it on the team's success, which has resulted in the team drafting in the mid to late 20's it seems like for some time. What was the last time the Caps drafted anyone higher than the 20's, the year they took Forsberg and Wilson.

I don't really mean that as a complain that we don't have high picks. It's just that there isn't anyone even getting a chance. Apart from the few years we picked 11, 13 and 16, we've picked in the 20's all the time. We used to make those picks count and found several NHL quality guys in the later rounds too. Since 2015 the results impacting NHL roster are non-existent.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I don't really mean that as a complain that we don't have high picks. It's just that there isn't anyone even getting a chance. Apart from the few years we picked 11, 13 and 16, we've picked in the 20's all the time. We used to make those picks count and found several NHL quality guys in the later rounds too. Since 2015 the results impacting NHL roster are non-existent.
GMGM was much better at the draft

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

POTENTIAL LATER ROUND GEMS - FORWARDS

Despite being one of the younger players in this year's draft class, the Berlin-born forward plays a mature, defensively reliable game that allowed him to play pro as a 17-year-old last season. His 200-foot game is sound, he is poised under pressure, has excellent vision and possesses a high hockey IQ - attributes that will serve him well as he continues to develop at the pro level. While he had limited minutes during his first season with Eisbären Berlin, he has shown offensive upside throughout his junior career with the Red Bull Academy and his time with the German national team at the U16 through U18 levels.

Plays Forward and Defense?

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
back to D with Dru Krebs, D, Medicine Hat (WHL)

Dru Krebs at eliteprospects.com

Krebs’ dimension is transition, starting with his skating. He’s more skilled than mechanically-sound, lacking depth, but having a separation gear in the WHL and evasiveness from mohawks, punch turns, and fake pivots/cutbacks. Those skills bring inherent deceptiveness, which he increases with look-offs to mask his intended pass recipient.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

I know a lot of their later round forward picks have not exactly panned out recently but I'd be interested in what it is they want in a forward. What are the elements they're after beyond hockey sense and skill very generally? Lemay & Krebs are intriguing with their combination of skating and willingness to join the attack but I don't know about their skill level or all-around upside. Defensive depth is valuable but this is another draft where I come away uncertain about the whole forward identity question.

There's something to be said to sticking to a perceived strength in perhaps being better at evaluating defensemen but there are only so many spots to go around and they haven't exactly killed it in that area. I do really like their first two picks, as they address a massive organizational need with strong value. The rest feels like they sort of lost steam but time will tell.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I know a lot of their later round forward picks have not exactly panned out recently but I'd be interested in what it is they want in a forward. What are the elements they're after beyond hockey sense and skill very generally? Lemay & Krebs are intriguing with their combination of skating and willingness to join the attack but I don't know about their skill level or all-around upside. Defensive depth is valuable but this is another draft where I come away uncertain about the whole forward identity question.

There's something to be said to sticking to a perceived strength in perhaps being better at evaluating defensemen but there are only so many spots to go around and they haven't exactly killed it in that area. I do really like their first two picks. They address a massive organizational need. The rest feels like they sort of lost steam but time will tell.

Maybe they look at D-men of a certain type as good trade chips.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Maybe they look at D-men of a certain type as good trade chips.

But when do they ever actually trade them? Only after they’ve hit the NHL stage and the organisation has decided they’re not useful to the Caps anymore. Siegenthaler, Djoos, Bowey, Lewington, Carrick… none traded while still prospects.

Reactions: RandyHolt

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
But when do they ever actually trade them? Only after they’ve hit the NHL stage and the organisation has decided they’re not useful to the Caps anymore. Siegenthaler, Djoos, Bowey, Lewington, Carrick… none traded while still prospects.

That's my point. They can move these guys through the system and they figure they're relatively easy to trade once they have some credibility via a few NHL games. How many forwards just flame out and are untreadeable? Probably more than D men who always seem to be coveted after they've made it through a level or two of the system.

How many forward prospects have they traded in recent years?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Mahoney does the drafting. Neither McPhee nor MacLellan have much to do with it
We all know that Mahoney is lead scout and assistant GM and gets to set the draft board, but each time you retell this story you keep building up this myth is further and further. Now the GM “doesn’t have much to do with it?” You think the general manager doesn’t get to make a call if he wants to? You think the GM doesn’t get to set draft strategy, and decide when to make trades on picks with other teams (let alone be the one on the phone to negotiate those trades)? There’s a lot more to drafting than just picking the name you call when it’s your turn.

Last edited:
Reactions: IafrateOvie34

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We all know that Mahoney is lead scout and assistant GM and gets to set the draft board, but each team you retell this story you keep building up this myth is further and further. Now the GM “doesn’t have much to do with it?” You think the general manager doesn’t get to make a call if he wants to? You think the GM doesn’t get to set draft strategy, and decide when to make trades on picks with other teams (let alone be the one on the phone to negotiate those trades)? There’s a lot more to drafting than just picking the name you call when it’s your turn.

Ive always said it the same way. If you dont find it credible, that is ok with me. I mean...You dont find anything I say credible. I see no difference with this. Moving on.

I think suggesting that the Caps will be lucky to sneak into the playoffs is an interesting pov.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Mahoney does the drafting. Neither McPhee nor MacLellan have much to do with it
While largely true they're still the boss and that alone influences the thinking driving the process and ultimately the results. The GM always is at least heavily involved in the first round in reviewing options. Their input during scouting meetings sets the tone and shapes the criteria and discussion surrounding the decision-making process and what they specifically value. While Mahoney has more pull than many scouting directors it's still ultimately MacLellan's responsibility in shaping the process. MacLellan delegates more than McPhee did it seems and the results haven't been as effective.

On a positive note, they took three very modern type roving defensemen and another that's more of a throwback but can also join the rush. That's progress in some respects. I don't know if all of them necessarily have terrific upside but it's at least some sign toward progress. If they hit on one or two after Iorio & Johnson they could become valuable. As I've said it makes a lot of sense to seek modern speedy defenders to compensate for declining pace and athleticism up front. It will take some time for those players to round out, though.

Colorado takes Makar's younger brother. Draft over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hivemind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->