GDT: NHL Draft Lottery (May 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I can't remember, do they go straight down the lottery list at 8pm or did the batch announce the picks prior to like the top 5 or something before hand?

Just curious how soon we'd know whether we dropped, went up, or stayed put or not. As a Washington fan, I am expecting disappointment.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Let’s win Bedard and not have to tank again for a long long time. That stuff blows.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I can't remember, do they go straight down the lottery list at 8pm or did the batch announce the picks prior to like the top 5 or something before hand?

Just curious how soon we'd know whether we dropped, went up, or stayed put or not. As a Washington fan, I am expecting disappointment.

They read out the teams draft order from the bottom up.... so if we aren't called by 8, we'll be drafting 1,2 or maybe 3.

What's also interesting is, if two lower teams get skipped at their turn, it means they've both won and the top two teams then now know they are moving down from 1/2 to 3/4. The look on Detroit's face when they dropped from 1 to 4 was priceless.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Objectively speaking Chicago or Philadelphia would be the best locations for Bedard from the league’s standpoint. Maybe Montreal, but I think US markets would be preferable.

Washington wouldn’t be a terrible spot, but certainly not high enough in the pecking order to rig it for them.

I think Vancouver would be the worst landing spot for him. The market is already saturated and they are a west coast team. It’d be like McDavid to Edmonton part 2. Arizona would be bad too, but he’d be gone from there in a few years at least.
f*** Chicago, that organization deserves only the worst for the next decade.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
f*** Chicago, that organization deserves only the worst for the next decade.

For sure. They’re my least favorite destination for Bedard. But I have to imagine the league would love it for a big market US team like Chicago to become relevant again.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Objectively speaking Chicago or Philadelphia would be the best locations for Bedard from the league’s standpoint. Maybe Montreal, but I think US markets would be preferable.

Washington wouldn’t be a terrible spot, but certainly not high enough in the pecking order to rig it for them.

I think Vancouver would be the worst landing spot for him. The market is already saturated and they are a west coast team. It’d be like McDavid to Edmonton part 2. Arizona would be bad too, but he’d be gone from there in a few years at least.
Pressure on hometown boy would be immense.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Is 8pm the reveal while the actual herding of ping pong balls happens earlier?

Asking so I know when to time my voodoo
Last year's looks to have been drawn at around 4:45 according to the league's video release. Bettman oversees the two draws of four number combinations coded for particular outcomes and then Daly later does the unveiling.

We bow to you holy Ping Pong...

Bedard.png

Reactions: marcel snapshot

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I have an absolute beauty of a mead prepared for tonight for good luck: an off-dry, orange blossom traditional. My first mead I ever made.

1683561634707.jpeg

Unlike with other styles of mead where the honey flavor can get muted there is no mistaking that honey is the main (and really only) component of this mead. You get it on the nose and on the taste. It tastes a bit sweeter than it is which is fantastic for those like myself who don't like bone-dry white wines.

I also have another mead prepared in celebration in case the Capitals win the lottery, but I feel like it would be bad luck to describe it to you guys beforehand.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'm unreasonably stressed out about this and blame this thread.

May the force be with us.
May the odds be ever in our favor.
May our souls get to heaven before the devil knows we're dead.
Etc. etc.
Me too. I'm way too invested in our 6% odds.

Winning the lottery is probably the only thing that will make Ovie's last years competitive.

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Me too. I'm way too invested in our 6% odds.

Winning the lottery is probably the only thing that will make Ovie's last years competitive.
For the record, I don't think that's true. The right moves this offseason could yield big improvements. Even getting Bedard doesn't make them contenders by itself.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The Caps like to perform miracles when I feel like my personal life is creeping toward rock bottom, 2018 suuuucked for me, was injured and struggling through a work comp dispute and just miserably depressed.

I kind of hate life now too, so maybe I've been priming the cannon. Feast on my misery so I can be happy later, please.

Reactions: Cappy76 and um

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
For the record, I don't think that's true. The right moves this offseason could yield big improvements. Even getting Bedard doesn't make them contenders by itself.
I think this team could slide back into the playoffs without a lottery win, but to be elite cup contenders we probably need a drastic changes.

Bedard doesn't do it himself, but getting a Generational player on an ELC deal certainly puts the Caps into a great position to fix its problems.

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think this team could slide back into the playoffs without a lottery win, but to be elite cup contenders we probably need a drastic changes.

Bedard doesn't do it himself, but getting a Generational player on an ELC deal certainly puts the Caps into a great position to fix its problems.
Agree with that for sure.

Reactions: um

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The Caps like to perform miracles when I feel like my personal life is creeping toward rock bottom, 2018 suuuucked for me, was injured and struggling through a work comp dispute and just miserably depressed.

I kind of hate life now too, so maybe I've been priming the cannon. Feast on my misery so I can be happy later, please.

We appreciate your sacrifice so we can get our fandom in order :D

Seriously though, hang in there... 🤗

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
It just feels so rare where there’s a day they can actually win something worthwhile, I’ll miss it after tomorrow.
the-suspense-is-terrible-i-hope-itll-last.gif
Certainly won't get this feeling with the other washington teams any time soon so im all for soaking it in

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
We appreciate your sacrifice so we can get our fandom in order :D

Seriously though, hang in there... 🤗
Actually come to think of it I was couch crashing with a friend and sleeping on an air mattress when they made the Trotz hire, traded for Oshie, and signed Niskanen and a lot of their cup players, and in an entirely different phase of life with peaks in between. My misery may fuel this team, here's f***ing hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad