GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FRENZY - JULY 1st - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Why they wouldn't

1)Because the $22 million in bonuses in year one exceeds their ticket revenue
2)Because the total salary expenditure in year one is approaching their total revenue

For a team that's already losing money before revenue sharing, that's a tough pill to swallow
I agree completely. Tough pill to swallow. But acquiescing a first, second and third for Aho because of cash flow issues (not the value of the contract) is almost like waiving the white flag and calling it quits. I mean after all, this team went deeper in playoffs than they'd hoped and their fan support was incredibly strong. To bail because short term financial cashflow issues you raise (again, valid issues) would be a huge slap in the face of the fans. Don't expect a lot of fan support moving forward with that kind of move.

Sometimes if you are playing with the big boys you have to big boy up. It's like me going down the road of buying a 120 foot luxury cruise ship and then at the last minute telling the broker he needs to give me a detailed analysis of fuel costs and fuel efficiency options due to my strong concerns regarding what it's going to cost me to get to the south of France. Broker might gently point me in the direction of a significantly smaller yacht -- scratch that, he'll suggest I go buy a boat with an outboard and watch reruns of Robin Leech instead.

Reactions: Spooner st

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Why they wouldn't

1)Because the $22 million in bonuses in year one exceeds their ticket revenue
2)Because the total salary expenditure in year one is approaching their total revenue

For a team that's already losing money before revenue sharing, that's a tough pill to swallow
Very clever for Montreal to do that after Carolina already committed real money to the Marleau situation too. There's no easy way around that bonus structure for Carolina now...they can't just trade someone with a high AAV to cover it because in the end it won't even come close. They'd need someone whose salary is much higher than their cap hit to balance it, and they don't have anyone like that.

I do wonder if that will open a can of worms for the next CBA when it comes to offer sheets. I'm all for offersheets becoming more prevalent in the NHL (like they are in the NFL), but that's a bit of a bad look to have one of the more profitable franchises essentially strong-arm one of the least out of their best player entirely with real money.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Very clever for Montreal to do that after Carolina already committed real money to the Marleau situation too. There's no easy way around that bonus structure for Carolina now...they can't just trade someone with a high AAV to cover it because in the end it won't even come close. They'd need someone whose salary is much higher than their cap hit to balance it, and they don't have anyone like that.

I do wonder if that will open a can of worms for the next CBA when it comes to offer sheets. I'm all for offersheets becoming more prevalent in the NHL (like they are in the NFL), but that's a bit of a bad look to have one of the more profitable franchises essentially strong-arm one of the least out of their best player entirely with real money.

Lots of cap space

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-7-1_18-0-50.png

Reactions: bbfan419

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
This offer sheet seems a little disingenuous to me. I can't see how Carolina lets Aho go for what the Habs have offered. Seems like they just want to be able to say "hey , we tried" when they know full well it's not going to happen. Apparently Carolina has a pole going where they are asking 'WILL WE MATCH? YES or OUI.
Yep, fake offer sheet.

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
I don’t think it’s as slam a dunk for Carolina to match. The real money is made to make the owner say hell no. It is a clever ploy by Montreal, I’ll give them that. You have to hope they prepared for something like this and the owner is cool with it to keep their best player.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
I don’t think it’s as slam a dunk for Carolina to match. The real money is made to make the owner say hell no. It is a clever ploy by Montreal, I’ll give them that. You have to hope they prepared for something like this and the owner is cool with it to keep their best player.
Aho actually winding up on the Habs would give me a panic attack---C'mon 'Canes get that offer sheet matched, please

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad