GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FIZZLE - Mod warning page 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's just cap mismangement. Halak at $2.75m is as good of a contract as the Bruins have. He's ultra-valuable for all those games Tuukka isn't starting. Goalie is the most-important position and the Leafs think that starting some scrub for 20 games is going to get the job done? And god forbid Andersen gets injured.

I don't see any team out there that sees itself as a decent contender and hasn't gotten a backup. The Habs just paid Kinkaid $1.75m to backup Price. Chicago is paying Lehner $5m to backup Crawford.

You need to have someone proven back there because if you lose your starter for six weeks then your season might be over.
good post, have to think there was/is a direct correlation between Tuukka resting plenty this season and then having a terrific post season

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I don`t know enough about their prospects, their starting 6 D should be a bit better balanced and the addition of Barry will help the PP, Ceci is a decent D-man but it will all come down to Babcock, he`s been there for years and for years it`s been the same old thing, team just allows so many shots on a game by game basis. If they encounter any injuries though....could be ugly

As far as forwards go, Kerfoot is a nice addition but Spezza? Curious, I know it was almost inevitable they had to move Kadri with him hardly being a young kid yet still unable to contain himself when it`s counted on most but Spezza is a fraction of the player he once was

He did decently in Dallas. A cheap 4th line center option(1yr/700K) they can open up to waivers if he does not work out. Just for his experience he is worth keeping on the team at that price. Kerfoot or Nylander replaces Kadri(I vote Nylander cause he is terrible along the boards) which is a downgrade IMO. They will miss Kadri. Their 4th and possibly 3rd line could be weak, but who knows. Kerfoot had some Heinen like games where he looked good on the top line in Colorado.

There is a LOT of uncertainty in the bottom 6 of Toronto next season, a team with dept can expose that.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He did decently in Dallas. A cheap 4th line center option(1yr/700K) they can open up to waivers if he does not work out. Just for his experience he is worth keeping on the team at that price. Kerfoot or Nylander replaces Kadri(I vote Nylander cause he is terrible along the boards) which is a downgrade IMO. They will miss Kadri. Their 4th and possibly 3rd line could be weak, but who knows. Kerfoot had some Heinen like games where he looked good on the top line in Colorado.

There is a LOT of uncertainty in the bottom 6 of Toronto next season, a team with dept can expose that.

good post, nothing I disagree with here

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
not happy with this off-season so far. This team needs to be more pro-active about their current window closing not passive. I’m not saying they needed to spend a bunch of money or give out huge contracts, but make some changes other than 4th liners, even if it means trading some pieces you like. Reminds me so much of after 2013, 2014, 2015. Realistically you should be looking at having a rookie fill 1 top 9 spot, not 2. Especially with some inconsistent scoring in that top 9 already.

Give the young guys a chance and fill the gaps at the deadline. It worked this year and it's the best strategy.

Bjork, Frederic, Kuhlman, Senyshyn, Steen, Studnicka... they all deserve a real opportunity. Not only that, if you give them some games it's a chance for them to develop and see where they're at.

If not, you pick up a guy like Toffoli, Kreider, Hoffman, Soderberg or even Taylor Hall at the deadline.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
It's just cap mismangement. Halak at $2.75m is as good of a contract as the Bruins have. He's ultra-valuable for all those games Tuukka isn't starting. Goalie is the most-important position and the Leafs think that starting some scrub for 20 games is going to get the job done? And god forbid Andersen gets injured.

I don't see any team out there that sees itself as a decent contender and hasn't gotten a backup. The Habs just paid Kinkaid $1.75m to backup Price. Chicago is paying Lehner $5m to backup Crawford.

You need to have someone proven back there because if you lose your starter for six weeks then your season might be over.

If Anderson gets injured they are toast. You want to shut any Leafs fan up? Start chanting a vodoo injury curse on Anderson and they shut up quick. They all know their entire season lives and dies on his health.

As for Halak, he was a risk coming in. Had bounced around to a new team every year and did not do all too well on the Isle. He shut doubters up fast in November when Tuukka took his mental health vacation. Now the signing looks fantastic, but if Halak caves in November we are having a VERY different conversation right now. The gamble paid off.
Of course, if both Tuuk and Jaro get injured, we have Legacy or Vladar to start. Now WE are screwed like Toronto in the above scenario.

Is Crawford going to play next season? Last I heard he was contemplating medical retirement.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Anderson gets injured they are toast. You want to shut any Leafs fan up? Start chanting a vodoo injury curse on Anderson and they shut up quick. They all know their entire season lives and dies on his health.

As for Halak, he was a risk coming in. Had bounced around to a new team every year and did not do all too well on the Isle. He shut doubters up fast in November when Tuukka took his mental health vacation. Now the signing looks fantastic, but if Halak caves in November we are having a VERY different conversation right now. The gamble paid off.
Of course, if both Tuuk and Jaro get injured, we have Legacy or Vladar to start. Now WE are screwed like Toronto in the above scenario.

Is Crawford going to play next season? Last I heard he was contemplating medical retirement.

C'mon. Halak wasn't even in the same stratosphere of 'risk' as Michael Hutchinson. He was a guy with 400 games who was a starter on 3 different teams.

Reactions: Strafer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not happy with this off-season so far. This team needs to be more pro-active about their current window closing not passive. I’m not saying they needed to spend a bunch of money or give out huge contracts, but make some changes other than 4th liners, even if it means trading some pieces you like. Reminds me so much of after 2013, 2014, 2015. Realistically you should be looking at having a rookie fill 1 top 9 spot, not 2. Especially with some inconsistent scoring in that top 9 already.

have Heinen/Carlo and CM contracts to address which, essentially will eat up most of their cap. Needed some grit to replace Acciari, might have already come internally but they signed Ritchie who has the size, has some physicality and a few years ago popped 16 goals on cheap money. In order to have made any noise for a top 6 winger for DK, they have to shed the Backes contract and maybe even Miller`s as well but who is taking on either at this stage? Backes a scratch for majority of the playoffs and Miller can`t stay healthy

What I would have liked to see and what was realistic we would see are two different things but I understand why the B`s have done what they have done thus far

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
C'mon. Halak wasn't even in the same stratosphere of 'risk' as Michael Hutchinson. He was a guy with 400 games who was a starter on 3 different teams.

Of course not. Hutch could barely break an NHL line-up the last 3 years. But Halak WAS a risk signing. There was no indication he would have the good year he did in Boston. We kept his games down to 30 and gave him a better defense in front and it worked wonders. I say his success is sustainable next year because of that, but he was fantastic in November and noone foresaw that.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
have Heinen/Carlo and CM contracts to address which, essentially will eat up most of their cap. Needed some grit to replace Acciari, might have already come internally but they signed Ritchie who has the size, has some physicality and a few years ago popped 16 goals on cheap money. In order to have made any noise for a top 6 winger for DK, they have to shed the Backes contract and maybe even Miller`s as well but who is taking on either at this stage? Backes a scratch for majority of the playoffs and Miller can`t stay healthy

What I would have liked to see and what was realistic we would see are two different things but I understand why the B`s have done what they have done thus far

I figured this summer would be all "Resign McAvoy/Carlo" and nothing else.
I am disappointed we dontahve an answer for our 2nd wing hole or a replacement for Johansson. But I am not surprised.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Give the young guys a chance and fill the gaps at the deadline. It worked this year and it's the best strategy.

Bjork, Frederic, Kuhlman, Senyshyn, Steen, Studnicka... they all deserve a real opportunity. Not only that, if you give them some games it's a chance for them to develop and see where they're at.

If not, you pick up a guy like Toffoli, Kreider, Hoffman, Soderberg or even Taylor Hall at the deadline.

This team needed toughness and RW and age is not on their side. Lighting rarely strikes twice in the same spot with an older core

Reactions: Fair Warning

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

I think there would be a decent market for Miller. He's in pretty much the exact same situation McQuaid was in last year.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This team needed toughness and RW and age is not on their side. Lighting rarely strikes twice in the same spot with an older core

That's why you wait until the deadline. If everyone is healthy and the team is clicking, you go for it. If there are major injuries and the team is struggling you don't.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I think there would be a decent market for Miller. He's in pretty much the exact same situation McQuaid was in last year.

Well, yes. He is a big physical vet. That is valued on that market. At 2.5m he is a reasonable contract for that.
But he has a serious knee injury and the news on it does not seem to be getting any better(Sweeney mentioned "Setback" when asked about him in the playoffs at least 2 or 3 times).
That is going to be hard to move this summer. If he recoups nicely he is someone that could be moved at the Trade Deadline. Though I'd rather keep him for the postseason. We missed him this postseason, IMO.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
None of those guys bring what Johansson does, not only does DS need to re-sigh Johansson, but he still needs a another top 6 forward on top of that and leave Johansson on the 3rd line with Coyle. Trade Backes, Miller, Moore, Heinen for whatever we can get and add certain prospects if needed in the deal, not our first and maybe there are 4- prospects you don't deal, but there are a bunch we could add to get rid of these guys. You could offer Zboril and Senyshen both to Ottawa with Backes for a mid round pick, Zboril is Chabot's D partner from junior and Senyshen is an Ottawa area guy.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That's why you wait until the deadline. If everyone is healthy and the team is clicking, you go for it. If there are major injuries and the team is struggling you don't.

Ya I get it. Wait till 1 month in the season to make a move. Imo larry robinson showed the whole hockey world the blueprint to beat Boston and that is to beat them up. I'd like to see sweeeny step up an counter the argument of a guy with 10 cups

Reactions: Strafer

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Ya I get it. Wait till 1 month in the season to make a move. Imo larry robinson showed the whole hockey world the blueprint to beat Boston and that is to beat them up. I'd like to see sweeeny step up an counter the argument of a guy with 10 cups

That's a weak argument. Columbus played tougher and got beat. The Bruins crushed St Louis in 3 of those games and were all over them in Game 7 to start. Replay that series and 4 times out of 6 the Bruins win it. You can't account for garbage refereeing.

Reactions: bbfan419 and lopey

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That's a weak argument. Columbus played tougher and got beat. The Bruins crushed St Louis in 3 of those games and were all over them in Game 7 to start. Replay that series and 4 times out of 6 the Bruins win it. You can't account for garbage refereeing.

Dont blame the messenger. Bruins got bullied and they need to fix it

Reactions: Strafer and bme44

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Dont blame the messenger. Bruins got bullied and they need to fix it

I don't think they got bullied. I didn't see anyone backing away from taking a hit to make a play. I didn't see anyone intimidated. They got cheapshotted and the refs missed it while calling things a joke of a 'hit to the head' on Tarasenko. If anything, Berube taught them a lesson in how to whine.

If Wes McAuley wasn't injured, the Bruins have the Cup right now. Instead they get Chris Rooney trying to show how virtuous he is by never calling any infraction against the Bruins.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I don't think they got bullied. I didn't see anyone backing away from taking a hit to make a play. I didn't see anyone intimidated. They got cheapshotted and the refs missed it while calling things a joke of a 'hit to the head' on Tarasenko. If anything, Berube taught them a lesson in how to whine.

If Wes McAuley wasn't injured, the Bruins have the Cup right now. Instead they get Chris Rooney trying to show how virtuous he is by never calling any infraction against the Bruins.

They absolutely did and it will continue unless the Bruins address it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad