GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FIZZLE - Mod warning page 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Horton is 5.3m according to capfriendly.
They also have as many as 6 players on the roster they can send down, freeing up as much as another ~5 mill.

So, they are fine.

They can't send down 6 players with Dermott and Hyman both starting the year injured.

They've got 8 defenseman signed including dermott, and 13 forwards signed including Hyman and before sending "6" players down.

Reactions: Gator Mike

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I was just going to say I'd like to screw the leafs by offer sheeting Marner at 12 or 13M, but when they don't sign it we'll be the ones getting screwed.

We would lose 4 first I believe. But would have 80+ pt Mitch Marner in our top 6.
We are much closer to getting a cup in our closing window.

Light my cigarette, I could learn to deal with that kind of disappointment.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Horton is 5.3m according to capfriendly.
They also have as many as 6 players on the roster they can send down, freeing up as much as another ~5 mill.

So, they are fine.

You sure about that? Who are the six guys? Remember, you have to field a full roster on opening night. You can't dress 15 guys. It looks to me like every player on their roster making more than $800K would need waivers to be sent down.

member 96824

Currently against the Toronto Capfriendly cap hit are:
Nicolas Petan
Nick Shore
Kenny Agostino
Frederick Gauthier
Justin Hall
Martin Marincin

Half of these guys will not make the team out of training camp. That would free up an extra 2 million. Combined with Horton(5.3) and the 3.7 they have in space now that gives them around 11 million to sign Marner. Which is what they expect to sign him at. If it needs more they can send down another guy or move one cap contract for wiggle room.

Not a stressful situation for Dubas. Unless someone offersheets him for 13 million, which would be crazy. In that case they have to move a contract and I am sure people will be salivating over who gets sacrified on the trade block for cheap. Don't think that happens though.

What am I missing? On CapFriendly with those guys, they show 13 forwards signed and 8D...no?

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
We would lose 4 first I believe. But would have 80+ pt Mitch Marner in our top 6.
We are much closer to getting a cup in our closing window.

Light my cigarette, I could learn to deal with that kind of disappointment.

How many players would we need to move out to fit him in though.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
They can't send down 6 players with Dermott and Hyman both starting the year injured.

They've got 8 defenseman signed including dermott, and 13 forwards signed including Hyman and before sending "6" players down.

I did not take injuries into account. My point is they can free up cash by sending down players, Dubas has room to work to both sign Marner and deal with an offersheet that is not crazy.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I did not take injuries into account. My point is they can free up cash by sending down players, Dubas has room to work to both sign Marner and deal with an offersheet that is not crazy.

He'll be able to match any offersheet thrown his way because you can go over in the offseason. But depending on how much it is, he might have to make another move yo get compliant by the start of the season.. And not just send a few guys down.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
How many players would we need to move out to fit him in though.

Backes, Miller, and Moore would need to be moved. That would hurt as every GM would know what was going on when the offer sheet is announced. They would make Sweeney pay through the nose.

Not worth it with our free cap being held for our RFAs. But 4 1sts for Marner is not as bad as it sounds for a team that is close to cup contention. If they are in win now mode...

Reactions: Strafer

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The Leafs also need a backup goalie unless they think that burning out Andersen is going to be a good strategy again. Or that Hutchinson is a viable option for 25-35 games.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Paul Carey... he really went there..

:laugh:

That's just being professional. Every guy in the system wants to make the team and you have to say publicly that they have a shot.

I'd also say that Carey played two games and in the first one he looked really good and the second one really bad.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
The Leafs also need a backup goalie unless they think that burning out Andersen is going to be a good strategy again. Or that Hutchinson is a viable option for 25-35 games.

They have 6 goalies under contract, all under 1 mil. Unless they acquire someone, which they wont until Marner is signed, they can have back-up by comittee. Which is nearly what they did last year trying to lean on Sparks who was iffy at best. I dare say Hutch is possibly better than Sparks, but either way they are riding Anderson AGAIN this year.

Reactions: bbfan419

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He'll be able to match any offersheet thrown his way because you can go over in the offseason. But depending on how much it is, he might have to make another move yo get compliant by the start of the season.. And not just send a few guys down.

This is the right answer. You can't get there by sending guys down and still have a full roster.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
They have 6 goalies under contract, all under 1 mil. Unless they acquire someone, which they wont until Marner is signed, they can have back-up by comittee. Which is nearly what they did last year trying to lean on Sparks who was iffy at best. I dare say Hutch is possibly better than Sparks, but either way they are riding Anderson AGAIN this year.

That's such a bad strategy.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
That's such a bad strategy.

I agree, but its what they did last year. Sparks has not turned out to be the goaltender they thought he would become. They are kicking themselves over losing McIlhenny. It was either Sparks or McGoalie, and Dubas went with Sparks who they have been investing in for years now. Garett got his chance and fumbled repeatedly last year, now they have Hutch who has a possible "final" chance to show he is an NHL goaltender by backing up Anderson.

They really do need a decent backup, but they seem content on rolling the dice in recent years. Even McIhhenny was a gamble when they first played him. They rolled double 6's there then moved him. Of course where would they be now if they were paying McGoalie 3-4 million? Closer to a cup, but pushing against the cap.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I agree, but its what they did last year. Sparks has not turned out to be the goaltender they thought he would become. They are kicking themselves over losing McIlhenny. It was either Sparks or McGoalie, and Dubas went with Sparks who they have been investing in for years now. Garett got his chance and fumbled repeatedly last year, now they have Hutch who has a possible "final" chance to show he is an NHL goaltender by backing up Anderson.

They really do need a decent backup, but they seem content on rolling the dice in recent years. Even McIhhenny was a gamble when they first played him. They rolled double 6's there then moved him. Of course where would they be now if they were paying McGoalie 3-4 million? Closer to a cup, but pushing against the cap.

He just signed a two-year deal for $1.3m per year.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Sarcasm? Honestly can't tell.

I think they're a lot less deep at forward, and they have no depth on defense.

Their defensive strategy seems to be "If our D has the puck, pass it out of the zone to a forward" which works great unless you are being hemmed in your own zone. Which may happen a lot to the Leafs next year. They are going to miss Hainsey, Ron friggin Hainsey. Their PP will be better, but they are going to have to outscore their problems. Which they might be able to do into the postseason until a team locks them down in the first round with an agressive forecheck.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
not happy with this off-season so far. This team needs to be more pro-active about their current window closing not passive. I’m not saying they needed to spend a bunch of money or give out huge contracts, but make some changes other than 4th liners, even if it means trading some pieces you like. Reminds me so much of after 2013, 2014, 2015. Realistically you should be looking at having a rookie fill 1 top 9 spot, not 2. Especially with some inconsistent scoring in that top 9 already.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
He just signed a two-year deal for $1.3m per year.

Yeah, but if he stayed in Toronto and never went to Carolina then he is commingoff a career year behind Anderson and has leverage as a UFA. I figured he would get more than 1.3 outta Dubas.

Very surprised he did not get more than 1.3 this summer. He has been good, father time will catch up with him sooner or later, but he has been a solid second option for any team.
For that much, its shocking Toronto did not get him back if they knew the ask. If they didn't know they have to be kicking themselves now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Sarcasm? Honestly can't tell.

I think they're a lot less deep at forward, and they have no depth on defense.
I don`t know enough about their prospects, their starting 6 D should be a bit better balanced and the addition of Barry will help the PP, Ceci is a decent D-man but it will all come down to Babcock, he`s been there for years and for years it`s been the same old thing, team just allows so many shots on a game by game basis. If they encounter any injuries though....could be ugly

As far as forwards go, Kerfoot is a nice addition but Spezza? Curious, I know it was almost inevitable they had to move Kadri with him hardly being a young kid yet still unable to contain himself when it`s counted on most but Spezza is a fraction of the player he once was

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Yeah, but if he stayed in Toronto and never went to Carolina then he is commingoff a career year behind Anderson and has leverage as a UFA. I figured he would get more than 1.3 outta Dubas.

Very surprised he did not get more than 1.3 this summer. He has been good, father time will catch up with him sooner or later, but he has been a solid second option for any team.
For that much, its shocking Toronto did not get him back if they knew the ask. If they didn't know they have to be kicking themselves now.

It's just cap mismangement. Halak at $2.75m is as good of a contract as the Bruins have. He's ultra-valuable for all those games Tuukka isn't starting. Goalie is the most-important position and the Leafs think that starting some scrub for 20 games is going to get the job done? And god forbid Andersen gets injured.

I don't see any team out there that sees itself as a decent contender and hasn't gotten a backup. The Habs just paid Kinkaid $1.75m to backup Price. Chicago is paying Lehner $5m to backup Crawford.

You need to have someone proven back there because if you lose your starter for six weeks then your season might be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->