NHL: Around the League 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Another officiating shit-show in Florida tonight complete with ref blowing the whistle a split second before Hornqvist scores from his office. Of course, it is ruled no-goal and can't even be challenged.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
The Leafs are unintentionally boosting Kane’s Hart chances. Not only are the winning games easily without Matthews, they’ve shit out McDavid and Draisaitl in back to back games. So thanks Leafs!

Reactions: Panzerspitze

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I'm sorry .. these helmets are hideous.
I realize things change ... but these are beyond anything remotely within any degree of
class or aesthetic whatsoever.
U - G - L - Y
Only in Vegas I guess. At least I hope!
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.18.37 PM.png

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
You cannot give McDavid the Hart after this series against the Leafs. The Hart isn't for bum slaying Ottawa and Vancouver. Zero points in three games. Edmonton shut out twice and loses the third 6-1.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You cannot give McDavid the Hart after this series against the Leafs. The Hart isn't for bum slaying Ottawa and Vancouver. Zero points in three games. Edmonton shut out twice and loses the third 6-1.
Tampa might throw that back at Kane these 3 upcoming games though

Reactions: Pertti

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
The Leafs are... good???

I bought low on the Mikhail Grabovski/Clarke MacArthur Leafs so long ago that I've just been conditioned to expect the most spectacular failure imaginable. This year they just look downright competent. It almost makes it less fun to have them as my second team now that they know what they're doing.

Almost.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
That division is so unbelievably bad. Hard to say how real they really are at this point.

Right? People were saying, oh the Leafs defense is so good because they beat Edmonton in that three-game series. But the Hawks beat them in the bubble and that wasn't years ago and no one said the Hawks had a good defense at the time. Now, I know we didn't shut them out twice, but still. It really is impossible to tell. I watched a bit of the game and some of Toronto's dmen looked good (Muzzin) while others struggled with moving the puck out of the zone. Their offense looked spectacular.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The first round bouncing will be next postseason when they take their weak division this year/postseason as proof that they're a(nother) dumb contract away from being an elite contender only to just be a hobbled mess.

Reactions: Pez68

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
It's impossible to compare the relative strength of divisions if there's no inter-division play. I'm not convinced the North is as bad as everyone says it is. Dom L. did an analysis where he found that of the top ten teams in the league, eight of them have faced, in aggregate, below-average competition--only Carolina and Washington have faced an above-average schedule.

Based on strength of schedule, the Leafs and Bruins have a pretty much identical expected winning percentages. Both teams are outpacing their expected numbers, but the Leafs' margin is three times larger than the Bruins. Vegas and Tampa both have easier schedules than Toronto, yet the Leafs are still first in the league. Those teams get to feast on objectively terrible competition for half the year--the California teams plus Arizona in the West, and Nashville/Columbus/Detroit in the Central. The Leafs get only two outright bad opponents (OTT and VAN) and a whole lot of middling teams--it's harder to rack up points when you're facing fewer teams that are outright tanking or rebuilding. The fact is that they held McDrai to one assist in three games, and that's impressive no matter how you slice it.

The middle four in the North (EDM/CGY/MTL/WPG) would have to be extraordinarily bad for the Leafs' 18-4-2 record to mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. This is a good team that's playing better hockey than in previous years--their results aren't exclusively the product of weaker competition--and they're finally free of the Atlantic division. This isn't to say that they're the best team in hockey right now, but at the very least they should be taken seriously if/when they reach the final four.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It's impossible to compare the relative strength of divisions if there's no inter-division play. I'm not convinced the North is as bad as everyone says it is. Dom L. did an analysis where he found that of the top ten teams in the league, eight of them have faced, in aggregate, below-average competition--only Carolina and Washington have faced an above-average schedule.

Based on strength of schedule, the Leafs and Bruins have a pretty much identical expected winning percentages. Both teams are outpacing their expected numbers, but the Leafs' margin is three times larger than the Bruins. Vegas and Tampa both have easier schedules than Toronto, yet the Leafs are still first in the league. Those teams get to feast on objectively terrible competition for half the year--the California teams plus Arizona in the West, and Nashville/Columbus/Detroit in the Central. The Leafs get only two outright bad opponents (OTT and VAN) and a whole lot of middling teams--it's harder to rack up points when you're facing fewer teams that are outright tanking or rebuilding. The fact is that they held McDrai to one assist in three games, and that's impressive no matter how you slice it.

The middle four in the North (EDM/CGY/MTL/WPG) would have to be extraordinarily bad for the Leafs' 18-4-2 record to mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. This is a good team that's playing better hockey than in previous years--their results aren't exclusively the product of weaker competition--and they're finally free of the Atlantic division. This isn't to say that they're the best team in hockey right now, but at the very least they should be taken seriously if/when they reach the final four.
Those teams would have to be bad.... those teams are bad.

Looking at bottom dwellers to say who is the worst division is one way. What about top threats? The Oilers and Habs aren't and nobody else but the Leafs are in the North.

Central has Tampa, Florida, Carolina... East has Boston, NYI, Washington... West has Vegas, Avs, Blues....

What does the North have, if you think the Jets are real or the Oilers Or Habs are gonna somehow turn it around eventually in the season. But it's a bunch of middling teams and 1 threat beyond vs every other league having multiple threats.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Right, because the Hart voting should be based on a 3 game series. Or 1/2 a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad