NHL: Around the League 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Once again in last night's game a chintzy (black and white) delay of game penalty late in regulation time that was obviously unintentional and could have been a difference-maker .... just sayin'. Give the refs a chance to do their jobs. That's all.
They had a chance to do their jobs for years, before the rule was brought in.

They didn't.

That's why there's a rule.

P.S.

If a high stick is "obviously unintentional", isn't it still a penalty? What about a trip?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

They didn't.

P.S.

If a high stick is "obviously unintentional", isn't it still a penalty? What about a trip?
Don't get me going. In a high sticking case, the player is responsible for his stick so it is still a penalty but in general, the simple answer is NO .... anything unintentional in officials' minds should not be a penalty. That is why we have refs. Would there be human mistakes? Yes, but it beats the hell out of these black-and-white rules that have taken over in this era..... let refs do what they are trained to do - it would be a much fairer system, IMO.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

They didn't.

P.S.

The bold is an umbrella statement that simply isn't true.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
The bold is an umbrella statement that simply isn't true.
It absolutely is true. Refs always had the option to call a delay of game penalty for players firing the puck over the glass, and they never called it. Had they made those calls, even just on the most obvious ones, there probably never would have been a rule put in.

If you want to place blame for why that rule is in place, look at the refs of the day. They usually called games like they didn't want to be late getting to the bar.

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
I agree. Tampa's banged up. Point is hurt. Stamkos is not healed yet. Meanwhile Dallas's big boys are just fine. They took out the Avs and Vegas. I think they're gonna win the cup. I can't believe how low people are on this team. They're built for playoff hockey.
Dallas’ depth has come through for them a lot more often than Tampa’s has and I think that can make a big difference. I also feel like Tampa can get flustered and knocked off their game with physical defensive minded teams.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I’m not sure Khudobin is going to be able to stand on his head like Varlamov did. Tampa is a super talented, super deep team. Dallas is going to have to be perfect to beat them.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Dallas’ depth has come through for them a lot more often than Tampa’s has and I think that can make a big difference. I also feel like Tampa can get flustered and knocked off their game with physical defensive minded teams.

They literally defeated 3 physical defensive-minded teams to get to the SCF

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
They literally defeated 3 physical defensive-minded teams to get to the SCF
I never said they couldn’t beat those teams but they obviously have more of a struggle than people are admitting. It’s not like they steamrolled their way to the final. And I don’t understand how Tampa’s depth is any better than Dallas since Dallas depth produces offense.

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
They've got a lot of inconsistent but good players. So, IMO, it's hard to bet on them getting to the dance but once there if everyone is clicking they're a great team. Problem is, Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Perry are just 50/50 on what guy you're gonna see.
I’d say everyone except Seguin has come to play this playoff season. Seguin has definitely been very lackluster offensively.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I never said they couldn’t beat those teams but they obviously have more of a struggle than people are admitting. It’s not like they steamrolled their way to the final. And I don’t understand how Tampa’s depth is any better than Dallas since Dallas depth produces offense.

They’ve lost 4 games total in 3 rounds. They didnt steamroll through but its not like they had much trouble either.

I think you’re underrating Tampa honestly.

Obviously Dallas CAN win. Its hockey. Stranger things have happened. But I think this is a SCF where one of the teams is clearly superior, certainly on paper.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I’d say everyone except Seguin has come to play this playoff season. Seguin has definitely been very lackluster offensively.

I was speaking in terms of their career reputations, not this post season. IMO, if those guys play their best and Khudobin shuts the door when they turtle Dallas wins the series

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
I was speaking in terms of their career reputations, not this post season. IMO, if those guys play their best and Khudobin shuts the door when they turtle Dallas wins the series
Oh yeah. I’d agree there. If the top players were more consistent they would Have been a top 5 team in the west annually the past 5 or so years.

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
They’ve lost 4 games total in 3 rounds. They didnt steamroll through but its not like they had much trouble either.

I think you’re underrating Tampa honestly.

Obviously Dallas CAN win. Its hockey. Stranger things have happened. But I think this is a SCF where one of the teams is clearly superior, certainly on paper.
That’s where we disagree. I think the Pittsburgh repeat and King’s second cup were just that of a SCF that had a clear superior team. This to me might be one of the most evenly matched finals in the past decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad