NHL and NHLPA Prefer to play some regular season games if they are able to resume playing

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Actually the Jets had the first WC spot and were only 2 points behind Dallas with the same amount of wins when the season stopped. In fact only 10 of the 23 playoff teams have more wins than the Jets so to say they are 20th and don't deserve to be in the playoff is stupid. Also no team under .500 is making the playoffs. The 24 team playoff format is the right thing to do plus it makes the most sense.

let's talk about games played. Jets were 20th in points % which is fairest way to judge when people don't have same number of games. Also I guess by your theory we should have 24 teams make it every year since no one is under .500 when overtime losses don't count.

What this does is make the regular season irrelevant when the league has played 80% of it.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
let's talk about games played. Jets were 20th in points % which is fairest way to judge when people don't have same number of games. Also I guess by your theory we should have 24 teams make it every year since no one is under .500 when overtime losses don't count.

What this does is make the regular season irrelevant when the league has played 80% of it.
It's only for this year for the 24 team playoffs because of the suspended season.
Actually % points is not the fairest way ... this is not MLB with wins/losses NO ties. NHL gives points for losses.
Lets use the Canucks & Predators as examples ... they need 3 points in their 2 games to overtake the Jets. That's a .750 % points average they only have a .565 % average so why do you think its fair that they should get a .750% points average in their 2 games? Also that means the Jets played 4 games in one week (twice) compared to Canucks & Predators 3 games in a week (twice). Playing 3 games a week is a lot easier than 4 games a week ... right?

Reactions: KingBogo

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg

I think we should let in the top 20 teams this year by points % ..... If the Jets were 21st in points % then we should let in 21 teams this year ......See what Im doing there? :naughty:

Go Jets Go screw everyone else :D

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Getting the teams to sign off on the format of the "playoffs" is one thing and the easy part. Getting 600 players etc. to quarantine to play those playoffs, another thing all together...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nh...ily-a-hot-topic-as-nhl-plots-return-1.5583108
In reality this is pretty much a non issue. The easy solution is a negative test, followed by 14 days self isolation and then another negative test and boom you are safely inside the bubble. The truth is millions of workers around the world spend much longer times away from family for a very small percentage of what professional athletes make.

Reactions: surixon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
In reality this is pretty much a non issue. The easy solution is a negative test, followed by 14 days self isolation and then another negative test and boom you are safely inside the bubble. The truth is millions of workers around the world spend much longer times away from family for a very small percentage of what professional athletes make.

Couple this with the fact 7 teams don’t return to play, 8 more get eliminated within a few weeks, then 8 more get eliminated two weeks after that. So 23 of the 31 teams players are back home within 4 to 6 weeks so really only 25% of the players and teams make it passed 6 weeks in a host city.

Reactions: KingBogo

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I don't think the two groups can be compared. On the one hand, I expect the vast majority of those millions of workers do this out of necessity. There is no work for them where their families are so they go where they need to in order for them and their families to have enough money to survive. Quite a different story for a bunch of entitled professional athletes. They will not go gentle into that quarantined night.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think the two groups can be compared. On the one hand, I expect the vast majority of those millions of workers do this out of necessity. There is no work for them where their families are so they go where they need to in order for them and their families to have enough money to survive. Quite a different story for a bunch of entitled professional athletes. They will not go gentle into that quarantined night.

If they don't want to go they can cut a nice cheque to the league for their share of the lost revenue or get crushed by escrow next year. Something tells me that money will win out and they will all go.

The NHL will likely make accommodations for them. Certain family members allowed into the bubble and/or a week break halfway through or something.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Greed is a very strong motivator and the players get 50% of all HRR generated in this new format (their cut is estimated to be between $200-$250 million). These guys get paid really well but their careers are pretty short so they need to make hay now.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Hub Cities:

Ten cities made the shortlist, including three from Canada: Vancouver, Edmonton and Toronto.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, however, said the Canadian cities would not be possible locations unless Canada rescinded its 14-day quarantine requirements for international travellers.

"If we're not able to really get an interpretation of the quarantine consistent with our players' ability to travel in and not have to do a strict self-quarantine in a hotel room ... we won't be in a position to use any of the Canadian cities as a hub city," Daly said.

JMO, but I highly doubt the NHL would end up with a Hub city in Canada and a Hub city in the U.S. Too much potential for cross border issues now and later to be put in place. I see the Hub cities both being in the U.S.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hub Cities:

Ten cities made the shortlist, including three from Canada: Vancouver, Edmonton and Toronto.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, however, said the Canadian cities would not be possible locations unless Canada rescinded its 14-day quarantine requirements for international travellers.

"If we're not able to really get an interpretation of the quarantine consistent with our players' ability to travel in and not have to do a strict self-quarantine in a hotel room ... we won't be in a position to use any of the Canadian cities as a hub city," Daly said.

JMO, but I highly doubt the NHL would end up with a Hub city in Canada and a Hub city in the U.S. Too much potential for cross border issues now and later to be put in place. I see the Hub cities both being in the U.S.
They should automatically be playing the games in the NHL cities with the lowest count rates. If the players can't stay in normal hotels and not 5 star , too bad , life is tough , suck it up buttercup. :laugh:

Reactions: cbcwpg

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The 10 Hub cities currently under consideration announced Tuesday
Chicago
Columbus
Dallas
Edmonton
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Minneapolis-St.Paul
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Vancouver

If Trudeau keeps the 14 day quarantine ... Canadian cities are out.
NHLPA would be crazy if they agreed to play in LA losing 12% of their salary to state taxes when Texas and Nevada have zero.
Dallas (lowest US covid-19 death rate of the 7), Las Vegas (lots of hotels) would be my guesses.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
If they don't want to go they can cut a nice cheque to the league for their share of the lost revenue or get crushed by escrow next year. Something tells me that money will win out and they will all go.

The NHL will likely make accommodations for them. Certain family members allowed into the bubble and/or a week break halfway through or something.

So, the prisoners will be allowed conjugal visits, then? Holes opening up in the dike already. Hey, I know they will all show up in Hub City. They're under contract, they don't have a choice. League says jump, they say, how high? I just think there are going to be a few unhappy, unmotivated players this go round. When this whole affair turns into an unmitigated clusterf***, don't say nobody didn't see it coming. :popcorn:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
As part of the NHL's return-to-play format, the league plans on ramping up COVID-19 testing for players and staff. The NHL wants players tested at least two times per week when they return to team facilities and everyday while competing in games.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly says players will be tested "every evening" with test results coming in “before they leave their hotel room in the morning.”

roll-call-quickmeme-com-roll-call-quickmeme-53461417.png

Reactions: Eyeseeing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So, the prisoners will be allowed conjugal visits, then? Holes opening up in the dike already. Hey, I know they will all show up in Hub City. They're under contract, they don't have a choice. League says jump, they say, how high? I just think there are going to be a few unhappy, unmotivated players this go round. When this whole affair turns into an unmitigated clusterf***, don't say nobody didn't see it coming. :popcorn:

Well if the product is crap due to players not caring then they can expect to see their wallets take a nice hit the following year as interest will likely be lower.

In a league with revenue sharing between the owner and players they have more then enough incentive to show up motivated.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
One reason Edmonton is pushing hard to be a Hub city...

While other cities have gone about their pitches relatively quietly, Shipton said there's a reason the Oilers are more vocal about Edmonton.
It's no secret that like some other colder locales, the Alberta capital is viewed as an undesirable landing spot for some NHL players.

"Edmonton in the summer is beautiful," Shipton said. "There's so many things going for the city that we feel like we're a little underrated in that category.
"It's important for us to get out and not be shy about it — be proud that we've got a beautiful city."

Yeah, sure, Edmonton might be nice in the summer, but do they not forget that the players are going to be quarantined in hotels and won't be able to go outside and enjoy the summer? :huh::help:

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
It always felt to me that the best would be to split it into 4, with 2 major centres, and 2 minor.

2 major (assume Vegas and Columbus) hosts all the play-in rounds and the conference playoff rounds

2 minor (assume Toronto and Edmonton) hosts the top 4 team conference seeding tournament.

After the play-in round is done, 4 teams are out and leaving the "hub", and the top 4 seeded teams move in.

Gives those major centres less games to try and squeeze in the first 10 days....and logistically would be easier to manage with a maximum of 8 teams there rather than the 12.

Also - spreads out the love a little more for a few other willing AND ABLE cities to participate.

Just my thought.....I will be happy to see hockey in any way shape or form :)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Does anyone know if the NHL players that had the virus have fully recovered with no lingering lung issues or anything else?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Does anyone know if the NHL players that had the virus have fully recovered with no lingering lung issues or anything else?

Are you asking that confidential medical information be released to the public? Would you want your employer or doctor making a public statement about the details of your health? Not only that, but if other teams knew about this, opposing players might target that player's lungs when he's on the ice. :nod:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Honestly I don't really care where the Hub Cities are. Either way fans aren't going to be allowed in the buildings and the players will be sequestered/quarantined........ so.......you know..........have at it boys and let us know what channel the Jets game is on.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Are you asking that confidential medical information be released to the public? Would you want your employer or doctor making a public statement about the details of your health? Not only that, but if other teams knew about this, opposing players might target that player's lungs when he's on the ice. :nod:
I don't care if he I don't care if he gave out that information publicly or not. It is worth about two knobs of goat shit.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The boys are back in town ... the Jets need to do one.

Sure, but since we don't have a lovely oceanside setting, we'll get them all out gathering for a bored walk around the Zoo on a dreary, overcast day to this cheerful ditty from one of our player's namesake. :sarcasm:

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
The boys are back in town ... the Jets need to do one.

You want them to Jet Ski on the Red River? One of two things would happen....1) They would all get sick and come close to death.....or.......2) They would all get super powers and be able to skate 200 MPH and have 300 MPH slap shots....

We may need a poll to see if we think it is worth the risk :naughty:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
They should automatically be playing the games in the NHL cities with the lowest count rates. If the players can't stay in normal hotels and not 5 star , too bad , life is tough , suck it up buttercup. :laugh:

Joking aside, I'm not quite sure why so many cities are clamouring for these games. The economic benefit has got to be minimal. I'd rather not have hundreds of people coming from other jurisdictions potentially bringing more caases of the virus to the city.

Reactions: Jets 31

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
It's only for this year for the 24 team playoffs because of the suspended season.
Actually % points is not the fairest way ... this is not MLB with wins/losses NO ties. NHL gives points for losses.
Lets use the Canucks & Predators as examples ... they need 3 points in their 2 games to overtake the Jets. That's a .750 % points average they only have a .565 % average so why do you think its fair that they should get a .750% points average in their 2 games? Also that means the Jets played 4 games in one week (twice) compared to Canucks & Predators 3 games in a week (twice). Playing 3 games a week is a lot easier than 4 games a week ... right?

I wouldn't be surprised if they make this format permanent. Or somewhat of an expanded playoff format anyway. There have been rumblings for a while and with Seattle making 32 teams, they may use that as a reason.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad