NHL and NHLPA Prefer to play some regular season games if they are able to resume playing

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
According to LeBrun in the Athletic both the NHL and NHLPA are in favour of playing some regular season games prior to starting a playoff format if the league is able to resume play this summer.

Before anyone gets too attached to any of the varied scenarios and formats being bandied about in the event the NHL does find a way to resume the 2019-20 season, understand a rather important fact: the NHL would much rather play some regular season games before heading to the playoffs, if time permits.
“We understand that with what will obviously be a lengthy break between games, players are going to want to have an ability to re-acclimatize themselves to NHL competition before having to play games that could end their seasons quickly,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Athletic via email Thursday.

T
he rest of the article for those with a subscription to the Athletic.

LeBrun: NHL favours 2019-20 resumption format that includes...

Nov 24, 2006
As I understand it, there's two options on the table right now being contemplated, not including whatever the Athletic says.

1. Standings today by points percentage (I'm not sure this wording of mine is correct).
2. Standings of all teams based on the first 68 games played.

In both of these above scenarios, the Jets miss the playoffs. :thumbd:

I'm not an Athletic subscriber, but what does "playing some games" mean? Everyone plays to 72 games, or similar? What does this mean for the Jets?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
As I understand it, there's two options on the table right now being contemplated, not including whatever the Athletic says.

1. Standings today by points percentage (I'm not sure this wording of mine is correct).
2. Standings of all teams based on the first 68 games played.

In both of these above scenarios, the Jets miss the playoffs. :thumbd:

I'm not an Athletic subscriber, but what does "playing some games" mean? Everyone plays to 72 games, or similar? What does this mean for the Jets?
Main idea is no one (NHL or players) wants to go straight into a playoff format. Both sides want to play at least some regular season games to get back into game shape/readiness. They would agree on an equal amount of games if less than 82 (78, 76 or 74). Appears like they would play through summer and even into September and then start the following season soon after.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Just seen on CNN, an official of California saying no sporting events till after Thanksgiving maybe longer, unless they sequester all the players at a place with a low amount of cases and play in front of no crowd, this season is done.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Just seen on CNN, an official of California saying no sporting events till after Thanksgiving maybe longer, unless they sequester all the players at a place with a low amount of cases and play in front of no crowd, this season is done.

We don’t even know how things are gonna play out a week in advance right now yet they already know there won’t be any sporting events by Thanksgiving? Yeh ok. California is a mess anyways.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Actually I think this is how it plays out. They play in a central location after everyone goes through a 14 day isolation period. Just players and game day crew and designated media. It becomes a purely TV event.

Reactions: Jet and surixon

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

California...

More nuts than a peanut field in Virginia...

:skeptic:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

I personally dont listen to much of what CNN says anymore.

Making a certain president look bad has been more important to them than real news lately

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Actually I think this is how it plays out. They play in a central location after everyone goes through a 14 day isolation period. Just players and game day crew and designated media. It becomes a purely TV event.

Yeah they will find a single location and quarantine all the players and officials

Reactions: Jet

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't want to sound overly pessimistic, but I am not sure the Jets would fare well with a short set of regular season games...

1. The Jets would have a bunch of road games if they try to even that out. For example, in a 74 game season the Jets would likely play 3 road games to even out home and road schedule. In a 78 game season, they would have 5 road and 2 home games.

2. Jets rely heavily on goaltending, and Hellebuyck was on a roll. His impact might be less in a small number of games, and the Jets might need to use Brossoit if the games are compressed. If Hellebuyck isn't at his best right out of the blocks, the Jets might not have the team to overcome so-so goaltending in a short stretch.

3. It seems that sometimes the Jets start off seasons a bit slow. They won't have that luxury.

On the plus side, they should be healthier than they were all season, and played their best late in the season, so maybe they have it together more.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't want to sound overly pessimistic, but I am not sure the Jets would fare well with a short set of regular season games...

1. The Jets would have a bunch of road games if they try to even that out. For example, in a 74 game season the Jets would likely play 3 road games to even out home and road schedule. In a 78 game season, they would have 5 road and 2 home games.

2. Jets rely heavily on goaltending, and Hellebuyck was on a roll. His impact might be less in a small number of games, and the Jets might need to use Brossoit if the games are compressed. If Hellebuyck isn't at his best right out of the blocks, the Jets might not have the team to overcome so-so goaltending in a short stretch.

3. It seems that sometimes the Jets start off seasons a bit slow. They won't have that luxury.

On the plus side, they should be healthier than they were all season, and played their best late in the season, so maybe they have it together more.

I am of the belief that all teams will be on the road. The NHL has been looking for neutral sites so I doubt anyone is going to have an advantage if/when they return.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I am of the belief that all teams will be on the road. The NHL has been looking for neutral sites so I doubt anyone is going to have an advantage if/when they return.

Yeah the only advantage/disadvantage would be the last change. Unless they forgo that and do a coin toss or something. But If they resume to the same schedule up until game 76 or whatever, they will likely determine the last change by corresponding to the original home/away schedule.

Last edited:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
My 2 cents on if we have a season anymore.. If the situation is as bad as some say or project(no chance for hockey even by late summer/fall,) then next season is problematic too. If things are bad enough for even saqestered hockey not to occur in August, I cant see it "suddenly" geting better enough to start next season in Oct/nov.

We"ll see what happens. My guess is they will try the neutral site thing. Have all involved quarantined for 14 days and have them all tested at the end of that time. If all are negative, they play games.

Considering how far into the summer the NHL is willing to play into,, if they don't play again and the season gets cancelled, to me that would probably mean next season will be compromised as well. Especially since there would theoretically be a relatively short time (probably around 21-30 days) between when the Stanely Cup is to be awarded and the start of next season. Again I don't see things drastically improving within that time if things are bad. And conversely, If things are good enough for them to start as normall in October, things cant be so bad they couldn't of tried to finish this season in late summer early fall.

I'm only using my own logic here. Could be totally off.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
As much as i would like to see the Jets again this season , i just don't see it happening . The NHL is a gate driven league , they don't have a TV contract like Baseball , Basketball and Football . They need bums in the seats and who knows how long it will be before they allow gatherings like that again .

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

So like WWE is doing now? Is your thoughts that they do this to meet their TV and sponsorship obligations? I can only speak to WWE but I feel like the 5 minutes I watched of raw Was brand damaging but it’s a work so that is probably apples and oranges I guess.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You would think that with a drug solution to kill off this Virus, that it will still have to go thru a testing period of 8-12 months, before they will administer it to humans ??

If this is the case, I can't see any hockey being played until January/2021,
unless, new virus infections drop to next to nothing, of they decide to just play to TV audiences. They need to get some revenues, you would think?

I think the owners will be OK thru this, as their "biggest cost" would be player salaries ( contracts) but I don't believe they have to pay them, unless the player is playing games, and the league is active.

I guess the biggest losers would be the players, but a lot of them are millionares anyways. I wonder how all this works out ? The players who would get hurt the most, are those in their 1st or 2nd year ?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I personally dont listen to much of what CNN says anymore.

Making a certain president look bad has been more important to them than real news lately

Lately = 3 1/2 years and I am no fan of Trump either
CNN has been a combination of TMZ, ET, Oprah and Jerry Springer for over 2 decades.
Most people get dumber for watching it.
Actually all the cable news 24/7 are a waste of time as they resemble rambling editorials of various leanings and propaganda with very little merit.
Long gone are the days of good newscasting where it was hard to tell which side of the spectrum the editorial content lay.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Lately = 3 1/2 years and I am no fan of Trump either
CNN has been a combination of TMZ, ET, Oprah and Jerry Springer for over 2 decades.
Most people get dumber for watching it.
Actually all the cable news 24/7 are a waste of time as they resemble rambling editorials of various leanings and propaganda with very little merit.
Long gone are the days of good newscasting where it was hard to tell which side of the spectrum the editorial content lay.

Crisis News Network, Fox, MSNBC are all echo chambers that pander to their base. At least I think they still are, I tuned them out over 10 years ago. I get it these are businesses selling a product just like anyone else but it’s not for me.

I turned to podcasts and I only listen to content that is apolitical in nature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad