NHL and NHLPA Prefer to play some regular season games if they are able to resume playing

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Best chance for the Jets to win a cup, if they can be disciplined and stay healthy. Some teams are likely to have outbreaks. Every team is going in cold. Hot keeper will have overweight effect on outcomes.

This could be our year.

Reactions: KingBogo and ps241

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If they're not planning to enforce quarantine before camps then no city should be open to hosting them in Canada. It's irresponsible not just for the safety of the players but for the public and team staff.

I hope that any city that gives them an exemption is also planning on substantial fines if they become a major vector for transmission. The players make enough that local fines aren't even a deterrent for most.

Yeah, that too. Just doesn't sound like enough to me. Hope I'm wrong. Really.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I believe players and staff must test negative before entering the quarantine zone. How do you transmit something you don't have. I think the worry would be that teams can't bring enough players if an outbreak hits during camp nit so much bringing the virus into the host cities.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
@sipowicz was right all along
Shut er down little Gary :thumbu:

And award us the 1OA pick we are now rightfully entitled to. "No play-in, no second lottery" should be our rallying cry. We must gather in the thousands in protest (peaceful, of course) to let the NHL know that First Lottery Results Matter!

:soap:

None

Feb 22, 2012
Elliotte Friedman's recent 31 thoughts article is probably one of the better 31 thoughts he's done. He gives details about what derailed an announcement of hub cities last week.
31 Thoughts: Fallout from a contentious NHL Draft Lottery - Sportsnet.ca

British Columbia has done an excellent job of containing COVID-19, and didn’t want someone being exposed, leaving the area and infecting others. Cases in Vegas are going up, and, until last week, I’d never thought two Canadian hubs were possible, but the league and players seem confident in their ability to keep that particular bubble tight.

If I had to rank the remaining cities in order by the feedback I’m getting, it’s Toronto, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Chicago. But, as we’ve learned, nothing is done until it is done.

He also adds some nuance to player concerns and the handling by the PA
5. In addition, the league and players continue to negotiate the “updated” CBA. It is expected that all players will vote on it – along with return-to-play protocols for training camp/games – sometime this week.
Having the health protocols voted on at the same time as the CBA framework is not without debate. There are players and agents who feel these should be two separate votes. One player on a team that will be returning said he didn’t feel that those who are out of the playoffs should get a say on these protocols. “They get all of the financial benefits with none of the health risk,” was his point.

And probably the most important one (epidemiologist Zachary Binney)
25. The other thing Binney said that hugely resonated with me was quarantining and testing BEFORE entering the bubble. Especially now, I think more attention should be paid to this.

"You need to test everybody a few times, over a few days, before they travel to the hub to make sure that you’re not bringing a case in… because then you’ve contaminated the whole thing. There also needs to be work done on enforcing a serious quarantine for about a week beforehand, where players and their families (ideally, anyone they’re interacting with), should be going to the facility and home, and the facility and home — and that’s it. They should not be interacting with anyone else. That’s something that I haven’t seen quite as much on as I’d like."

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Best chance for the Jets to win a cup, if they can be disciplined and stay healthy. Some teams are likely to have outbreaks. Every team is going in cold. Hot keeper will have overweight effect on outcomes.

This could be our year.

I posted something similar in another thread. Health and luck could be much bigger in this playoff. I think a team with a great goalie wants to be in the mix.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

And if anyone is buying the NHL saying it's picking HUB cities for safety reasons... I got a bridge to sell you.

If this was all about safety the HUB cites would be places like Fargo and Grand Forks.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

And if anyone is buying the NHL saying it's picking HUB cities for safety reasons... I got a bridge to sell you.

If this was all about safety the HUB cites would be places like Fargo and Grand Forks.

tenor.gif
tenor.gif

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

This makes sense to me. Most costs will be absorbed in Canadian $. I think it’s was that great video Edmonton had that closed the deal :sarcasm:. Either way Toronto Edmonton will work fine.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The English Premier League is playing games without fans in the stadiums, but the quality of play and competition remains high. I'm all for watching competitive NHL hockey without fans, if it can be done safely (for the players / coaches).

Reactions: ps241 and surixon

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It would be interesting if instead of EMPTY arenas, they sold a tiny number of seats at sky high prices. Rich people could get the prestige of being there in person. Revenue could go to a worthy charity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad