OT: NHL All-Time Draft

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I was trying to decide between Maurice, Bobby Hull, and Ray Bourque but you guys had to bring up Howie Morenz didn’t you?

Reactions: Cold Cat

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Not to throw an influencing vote into here, but I'd take any of the following over Bure:

Bourque, Shore, Harvey, Potvin (ok, maybe not him, I have to have standards as a NYR fan), Richard, Lafleur, Hull, Morenz, Bossy

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
If you're taking Bure from 1994 and putting him into 2020 and you're taking, say, Maurice Richard from 1950 and putting him into 2020...then yeah no duh Bure looks better. But that's not how this works, you look at their play relative to their peers, that's the metric being used here.

"3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr"

There are plenty of players better than Bure, and that doesn't take away from Bure being one of the best goalscorers ever.

:propeller :propeller :propeller

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Would y'all like me to set up a poll to make it easier for everyone to vote on their individual pick? (and for me to track it, but that's really less important)

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
If you're taking Bure from 1994 and putting him into 2020 and you're taking, say, Maurice Richard from 1950 and putting him into 2020...then yeah no duh Bure looks better. But that's not how this works, you look at their play relative to their peers, that's the metric being used here.

"3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr"

There are plenty of players better than Bure, and that doesn't take away from Bure being one of the best goalscorers ever.

:propeller :propeller :propeller
ok 3 stupid faces is just way like woah man lol

I don't think there are plenty better, After Gretzky Lemieux and Orr, I take Pavel Bure. And before the knee injury, he could be seen outshining Gretz and Lemieux in their games against each other. Most memorably, Gretzky's 802 game, Bure was the standout and star.

Pre-knee injury Bure was only for like 4 or 5 years long, but his highlight reel simply can't be outdone. Matched maybe, but not outdone. Popularity means nothing to me, Yandle is a great and fun guy.

I want the best weapons in the game. I want the best players possible to build our all time team around, and Bure speeding by everyone is a weapon we won't get a second chance at.
To me, it's an honest fight between Bure, OV, and Lemieux for 2nd all-time best goal scorer after 99. Lemieux is taken and OV is current so it makes this a very easy decision for me at least.

Plus plus plus he was actually a Panther and still scoring 60 goals for us even as a half cripple!

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Would y'all like me to set up a poll to make it easier for everyone to vote on their individual pick? (and for me to track it, but that's really less important)
I kinda think it's better for people to type in what the have to say if they're gonna take the time to consider any of this...and if "other" wins, then all that for nothing anyway LOL

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I kinda think it's better for people to type in what the have to say if they're gonna take the time to consider any of this...and if "other" wins, then all that for nothing anyway LOL

Well when someone votes other, I just check the thread for their choice, then add them. But fair enough

Reactions: CHGoalie27

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Not to throw an influencing vote into here, but I'd take any of the following over Bure:

Bourque, Shore, Harvey, Potvin (ok, maybe not him, I have to have standards as a NYR fan), Richard, Lafleur, Hull, Morenz, Bossy
Disagree, and I'll see you in a few days in the NYR board(looks down wearing NYR shirt and shorts) for that pick too!

Reactions: UnSandvich

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Disagree, and I'll see you in a few days in the NYR board(looks down wearing NYR shirt and shorts) for that pick too!

I was going to make a deal that Panthers select Maurice Richard in the first round, then would get Bure with their second-round pick.

But is this a threat, that if Florida doesn't pick Bure with this pick, than the Rangers will pick him two picks later?

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I was going to make a deal that Panthers select Maurice Richard in the first round, then would get Bure with their second-round pick.

But is this a threat, that if Florida doesn't pick Bure with this pick, than the Rangers will pick him two picks later?

Soooooo...I'm liking this arrangement. I'm thinking Harvey, Bourque, Richard, or Morenz. I'd say Hull but that guy's a dick.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
People: these studs are available to build around.
Ron Francis
Marcel Dionne
Phil Esposito
Tony Esposito

I’d pick Dionne or Phil Esposito.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
People: these studs are available to build around.
Ron Francis
Marcel Dionne
Phil Esposito
Tony Esposito

I’d pick Dionne or Phil Esposito.
I take Bure, Roy, or Richard before I take any of the above tbh.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
And Bure did all he did pretty much on his own. He didn't have another Hart trophy or any trophy guys next to him like most others on the top all time list did.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
And Bure did all he did pretty much on his own. He didn't have another Hart trophy or any trophy guys next to him like most others on the top all time list did.

Bure was never even close to Hart Trophy worthy, and he's my all time favorite player. He was a one-dimensional cherry picker, an extremely exciting one, but let's call a spade a spade here.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Bure was never even close to Hart Trophy worthy, and he's my all time favorite player. He was a one-dimensional cherry picker, an extremely exciting one, but let's call a spade a spade here.
Horrifically ignorant and surely not what I'm seeing in the hours worth of footage I keep posting.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
He was most certainly Hart trophy worthy in Vancouver from 92 until injury. And for our otherwise crumb bum team here.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Horrifically ignorant and surely not what I'm seeing in the hours worth of footage I keep posting.

The only thing ignorant is your constant dismissing of many other hof players that are usually considered better than him and trying to make Bure into something he's not. Was he not one-dimensional? Was he not a cherry picker? He would literally wait in the neutral zone all game until his teammates could spring the puck to him so he could start a break. In what year or years do you think he deserved a Hart Trophy? I see nothing in the footage you posted that suggests he was in any year the best player in the league, although yes he was a great goal scorer. But that's all he was. He only took us to the playoffs in one season, and he wasn't even one of the top 5 players in the league that year, so I don't know how he could have been considered Hart worthy as a Panther.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The only thing ignorant is your constant dismissing of many other hof players that are usually considered better than him and trying to make Bure into something he's not. Was he not one-dimensional? Was he not a cherry picker? He would literally wait in the neutral zone all game until his teammates could spring the puck to him so he could start a break. In what year or years do you think he deserved a Hart Trophy? I see nothing in the footage you posted that suggests he was in any year the best player in the league, although yes he was a great goal scorer. But that's all he was. He only took us to the playoffs in one season, and he wasn't even one of the top 5 players in the league that year, so I don't know how he could have been considered Hart worthy as a Panther.
Yeah, the league leading goal scorer leader (on an unstacked team) "wasn't even a top 5 player" in the years he led the league in scoring? Further, that he wasn't by far and away the most valuable player to this team, especially in his time in Vancouver?? Good call.

Is it really ignorant to constantly dismiss other HOF players that I don't see as better while I watch and compare them? I say it's far more ignorant to try and say things are they way they aren't, as you just did.

You see nothing but cherry picking in the video? Where? I don't see an hour's worth of him waiting in the neutral zone. I see an hour's worth of him skating around and thru everyone. Creating and making things happen pretty much by himself. Did you even really watch the video at all? For your sake, I hope not.
Today I see only OV and McDavid doing half the shit Bure did.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad