SoFLA
LOL. Okay whatever.
OKTHEN
hqdefault.jpg

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Lol, that’s like my opposite, but whatever.

I’ll leave you with this FACT, oh all-knowing hockey genius. All-time points:
#6 Dionne
#10 Esposito
#184 Bure

“Oh but Pavel ... boohoo ... injuries ... not fair ... blah blah blah”

I’d take the other Pavel before this Pavel. Endurance matters. Toughness matters.

ETA: homer attitude like yours is how the Panthers end up with the Guds of the world as a near-top pick.

ETA2: I know my opinion will be disregarded like it didn’t even exist, as usual, but as long as it’s not deleted, maybe someone else will chime in and say, hey, you know, you might have a slight point there about these giants of hockey history.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
My vote is for Maurice Richard or Howie Morenz. Whatever the more popular opinion is here. I don't think this team can pass up one of those greats with this pick. And I'm of the believer that you build a team from the blue line out .
There's not much video to post on these players, you just have to go with the stories that were written.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Voting closes tomorrow morning at 9am. So far I have the following votes:

Bure- CHGoalie, pantherbot, IMclutc
Bossy- Rahooji
Roy- PSLGuy, StrangeVision
Morenz- DreadClawz, Cold Cat
Richard- Skippy

I need a single vote per person, if you name multiple I unfortunately cannot count them all.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah, the league leading goal scorer leader (on an unstacked team) "wasn't even a top 5 player" in the years he led the league in scoring? Further, that he wasn't by far and away the most valuable player to this team, especially in his time in Vancouver?? Good call.

Is it really ignorant to constantly dismiss other HOF players that I don't see as better while I watch and compare them? I say it's far more ignorant to try and say things are they way they aren't, as you just did.

You see nothing but cherry picking in the video? Where? I don't see an hour's worth of him waiting in the neutral zone. I see an hour's worth of him skating around and thru everyone. Creating and making things happen pretty much by himself. Did you even really watch the video at all? For your sake, I hope not.
Today I see only OV and McDavid doing half the shit Bure did.

No, Bure was not a top 5 player in the league in 99-00. Pronger won the Hart and the Norris, he scored 62 pts. Lidstrom scored 72 pts while playing outstanding defense. Jagr was second in Hart voting, and scored 2 more pts. than Bure while playing in 11 less games. Sakic had a higher ppg than Bure, while being a much better all-around player. Kolzig had a phenomenal season, his best in the nhl, and won the Vezina. They were all clearly better than Bure. I'd say Bure was 6th or 7th most valuable that season, I have him and Yzerman as neck and neck. You could argue a few others as well. Bure was 3rd in Hart voting that season, the only top 3 finish of his career. His Hart voting history is basically as impressive as Vanbiesbrouck's. Now Beezer was a pretty good goalie overall in his career, but not near one of the all time greats. You're trying to paint a narrative without any facts to back it up. He was never considered even close to league mvp besides one year.

I also don't think you know how to evaluate old time hockey players. Of course players from the 40's and 50's are gonna look slower and less dynamic than players in the last 20 years. They were playing with archaic skates, wooden sticks, and not the high-tech equipment of today. Goalies weren't even wearing masks for pete's sake. When judging players from past eras, you have to evaluate their play relative to their peers. Players back then didn't have the benefits of modern nutrition and training, high tech equipment, plus the game has changed tremendously from some of those past eras. For example, for half of Morenz's career, forward pass in the offensive zone was illegal. Plus, there were only a few teams. Basically, every goalie was elite. Can you imagine how hard it was to score back then? Also, players could get away with a lot more back then. That era put the dead puck era to shame and makes it look like women's hockey. Eddie Shore split someone's head open and wasn't suspended. Morenz also got his head split open by another player once and that player wasn't suspended.

Bure was just voted unanimously as the worst cherry picker of all time in a thread on the mains. He was a notorious cherry picker. Yes, not all his goals were a result of that obviously, but he didn't know the meaning of the word defense.

Ovi and McDavid are hell of a lot more complete players than Bure. Bure didn't hit, he didn't play defense, he didn't pass. He only scored goals. And he didn't even lead the league in goal scoring that often. There have been others in the past that led the league in goals playing on worse teams than Bure did.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
No, Bure was not a top 5 player in the league in 99-00. Pronger won the Hart and the Norris, he scored 62 pts. Lidstrom scored 72 pts while playing outstanding defense. Jagr was second in Hart voting, and scored 2 more pts. than Bure while playing in 11 less games. Sakic had a higher ppg than Bure, while being a much better all-around player. Kolzig had a phenomenal season, his best in the nhl, and won the Vezina. They were all clearly better than Bure. I'd say Bure was 6th or 7th most valuable that season, I have him and Yzerman as neck and neck. You could argue a few others as well. Bure was 3rd in Hart voting that season, the only top 3 finish of his career. His Hart voting history is basically as impressive as Vanbiesbrouck's. Now Beezer was a pretty good goalie overall in his career, but not near one of the all time greats. You're trying to paint a narrative without any facts to back it up. He was never considered even close to league mvp besides one year.

I also don't think you know how to evaluate old time hockey players. Of course players from the 40's and 50's are gonna look slower and less dynamic than players in the last 20 years. They were playing with archaic skates, wooden sticks, and not the high-tech equipment of today. Goalies weren't even wearing masks for pete's sake. When judging players from past eras, you have to evaluate their play relative to their peers. Players back then didn't have the benefits of modern nutrition and training, high tech equipment, plus the game has changed tremendously from some of those past eras. For example, for half of Morenz's career, forward pass in the offensive zone was illegal. Plus, there were only a few teams. Basically, every goalie was elite. Can you imagine how hard it was to score back then? Also, players could get away with a lot more back then. That era put the dead puck era to shame and makes it look like women's hockey. Eddie Shore split someone's head open and wasn't suspended. Morenz also got his head split open by another player once and that player wasn't suspended.

Bure was just voted unanimously as the worst cherry picker of all time in a thread on the mains. He was a notorious cherry picker. Yes, not all his goals were a result of that obviously, but he didn't know the meaning of the word defense.

Ovi and McDavid are hell of a lot more complete players than Bure. Bure didn't hit, he didn't play defense, he didn't pass. He only scored goals. And he didn't even lead the league in goal scoring that often. There have been others in the past that led the league in goals playing on worse teams than Bure did.

Are you voting Morenz then? I would do that.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Yes, I will argue all day that Bure was better than Richard, Bobby Hull, and Ray Bourque. Is the stupid face necessary?

Those guys played in a time before color was invented. The intro looked like an old episode of Popeye. I’m sure they were good but I’d also agree with you on Bure there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad