OT: NHL All-Time Draft

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I loved Pavel Bure, electrifying is a fair description of his game. But, at least as a Panther, he was a cherry picker. Every game I got to go to, he was always hanging out in the NZ when puck was in FL's zone. He was never first into the corner for a loose puck, (although he'd often steal it from the guy he let go first). This isn't even meant as a knock on Bure, I'm sure this is exactly what the Panthers wanted from him. He was here to score goals and sell tickets, not to play on the defensive side of the puck. Electrifying was Bure when the puck came free to him while cherry picking out @ center.
I don't think it's stupid to label him a cherry picker after his knee injury, and many players couldn't even do that right, at least he scored.

To say he was a cherry picker before the knee injury, as most of the posted video shows that he clearly was not, is stupid as shit.

Reactions: Rahooji

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I don't think it's stupid to label him a cherry picker after his knee injury, and many players couldn't even do that right, at least he scored.

To say he was a cherry picker before the knee injury, as most of the posted video shows that he clearly was not, is stupid as shit.
The knee injury made him a different player. He adapted well imo. He was a deadly offensive player every time he touched the puck. Legitimate fear instilling threat. He was well worth the money at the time. Moving him for Ulanov was a war crime imo.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I had a chance to talk to Pavel one on one. My serious claim to fame. I sat next to him at a bar in the old club level at a marlins game. Cool guy. Very very nice. Nobody knew who he was. This was a few years after his retirement but I saw him and moved in like a shark. :laugh:

I gave him a fist bump over Anna Kourikova.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Lol oh yes, you can tell everything about a player from a 5 minute video. Yet everyone on the History of Hockey board is wrong when they said Bure was the biggest cherry picker of all time. And you're right. Ok. There's no use arguing back and forth with a brick wall.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The knee injury made him a different player. He adapted well imo. He was a deadly offensive player every time he touched the puck. Legitimate fear instilling threat. He was well worth the money at the time. Moving him for Ulanov was a war crime imo.
All this applies even after the injury, amazing enough. Ill never forget the excitement when I opened up the paper and saw that I was gonna be able to wear a Pavel Bure Rangers jersey. He was great for the Rangers, like Bossy- amongst the greatest goal scorers til the last drop, though very limited at the end...

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Lol oh yes, you can tell everything about a player from a 5 minute video. Yet everyone on the History of Hockey board is wrong when they said Bure was the biggest cherry picker of all time. And you're right. Ok. There's no use arguing back and forth with a brick wall.
Yet still I continue.

At the very least you've proven you can't tell the difference between 5 minutes and an hour and a half.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yet still I continue.

At the very least you've proven you can't tell the difference between 5 minutes and an hour and a half.

It makes no difference, all you posted is highlights of goals. It doesn't show entire games. I could make a highlight video to accentuate what I want and make Mike Matheson look good. You don't get what a player is all about from highlights. You have to watch them play games.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
It makes no difference, all you posted is highlights of goals. It doesn't show entire games. I could make a highlight video to accentuate what I want and make Mike Matheson look good. You don't get what a player is all about from highlights. You have to watch them play games.
All I posted is highlights of goals?

Much of it isn't even goals, if you watched any of it you'd know, but good job.

Let me know when you finish the Matheson highlight compilation.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I had a chance to talk to Pavel one on one. My serious claim to fame. I sat next to him at a bar in the old club level at a marlins game. Cool guy. Very very nice. Nobody knew who he was. This was a few years after his retirement but I saw him and moved in like a shark. :laugh:

I gave him a fist bump over Anna Kourikova.

That’s awesome. That guy was seriously what got me into the Panthers and hockey and in general. He was super exciting to watch.

My only encounter with someone famous was Tim Hardaway at a Flannigans. We were at the bar and to be honest, he was kind of annoying and obnoxious. Dude wouldn’t stop talking and being loud. I was a little drunk too so it didn’t bother me too much. I told him I used him in NBA Jam and he let me down lol.

Oh and I met Jared Leto at a 30 Seconds to Mars concert. That was cool.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I watched a Bure highlight video this morning, and I noticed that two or three of the goals on the video were empty-net goals by him. So that got me thinking, I wonder who holds the record for most career ENG? Wayne Gretzky holds the record (56), with Bure in 7th place (29). This list is top 20 and I believe other than one active player, Bure by far has the least amount of games played, as well as highest TOI/GP of any player on that list (24:37). I could remember him taking some really long shifts.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I watched a Bure highlight video this morning, and I noticed that two or three of the goals on the video were empty-net goals by him. So that got me thinking, I wonder who holds the record for most career ENG? Wayne Gretzky holds the record (56), with Bure in 7th place (29). This list is top 20 and I believe other than one active player, Bure by far has the least amount of games played, as well as highest TOI/GP of any player on that list (24:37). I could remember him taking some really long shifts.
That's some pretty cool facts right there! He's in some pretty good company on that list. Empty net goals aren't as easy as people would think, especially since it means an extra skater for the opposition, and all the guys on the list all had the capability to break thru basically anyone at full effort.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Can't believe all this talk about Bure didn't lead me to think of Alexander Mogilny sooner.

Anyone take him before Bure?

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad