OT: NHL All-Time Draft

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hello from the NYR Boards. Life without hockey's been somewhat boring lately, as I'm sure you're all aware, so I decided to do something to pass the time. Namely, an All-Time draft. The rules of such a draft are as follows:

1. Every team gets a single pick, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft), which will be posted in a follow-up post in the thread below. So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. I won't set up a starting poll (if one is requested) until sufficient votes have been cast, so as not to prematurely restrict choices

Florida, you are now on the clock with the 14th pick in the 2020 NHL All-Time Draft!

Reactions: CHGoalie27

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
1. Detroit Red Wings- Wayne Gretzky
2. Ottawa Senators- Mario Lemieux
3. San Jose Sharks- Bobby Orr
4. Los Angeles Kings- Gordie Howe
5. Anaheim Ducks- Jaromir Jagr
6. New Jersey Devils- Nicklas Lidstrom
7. Buffalo Sabres- Dominik Hasek
8. Montreal Canadiens- Jean Beliveau
9. Chicago Blackhawks- Mark Messier
10. Arizona Coyotes- Eric Lindros
11. Minnesota Wild- Joe Sakic
12. Vancouver Canucks- Steve Yzerman
13. Nashville Predators- Peter Forsberg
14. Florida Panthers- On the Clock
15. Calgary Flames-
16. New York Rangers-
17. Winnipeg Jets-
18. New York Islanders-
19. Columbus Blue Jackets-
20. Toronto Maple Leafs-
21. Carolina Hurricanes-
22. Dallas Stars-
23. Edmonton Oilers-
24. Vegas Golden Knights-
25. Pittsburgh Penguins-
26. Philadelphia Flyers-
27. Washington Capitals-
28. Tampa Bay Lightning-
29. Colorado Avalanche-
30. St Louis Blues-
31. Boston Bruins-

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
And good for Buffalo, I am more and more a fan of theirs because of the fans with every day that goes by

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
But Maurice Richard was way better than Bure. Meaner too by a mile.

I'm too young to have actually watched the original rocket in person, so it's really hard for me to say who was better at their peak, but I have watched Bure a lot from when he started and he was ELECTRIC. Sure, there were better and more complete players, but Bure is a showcase.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If you're looking for legendarily fast players, Bobby Hull's still on the board too

Per wikipedia: His slapshot was once clocked at 118.3 mph (190.5 km/h) and he could skate 29.7 mph (47.8 km/h).

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
How about 'one-eyed' Frank McGee?

"Though blind in one eye, McGee was a legendary player of his era, and known as a prolific scorer. He once scored 14 goals in a Stanley Cup game and eight times scored five or more. Despite a brief senior career — only 45 games over four seasons — he led the Silver Seven in its reign as Stanley Cup champions during this time (1903–1906), playing both centre and rover.[2] During World War I, he enlisted in the Canadian Army and died in battle in France.
Regulnar Season 23 GP - 63 G
Playoffs 20 GP 60 G"
- Wikipedia

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
How about 'one-eyed' Frank McGee?

"Though blind in one eye, McGee was a legendary player of his era, and known as a prolific scorer. He once scored 14 goals in a Stanley Cup game and eight times scored five or more. Despite a brief senior career — only 45 games over four seasons — he led the Silver Seven in its reign as Stanley Cup champions during this time (1903–1906), playing both centre and rover.[2] During World War I, he enlisted in the Canadian Army and died in battle in France.
Regulnar Season 23 GP - 63 G
Playoffs 20 GP 60 G"
- Wikipedia

Hey, Marc Staal's been blind in one eye for years, and he's still on a roster. So its at least theoretically possible in today's league

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
How has this list has gone this far without:

• Maurice Richard
  • Howie Morenz
  • Eddie Shore
  • Doug Harvey
?

:teach2:

No idea about Morenz. If we're adjusting for eras, he should absolutely be a top 10 pick. It's ludicrous that he's not. I have him even above Richard. Morenz was the first superstar of the game, and I'd argue even more dominant over his peers than Richard, Howe, or Gretzky. Morenz never gets the recognition he deserves.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
No idea about Morenz. If we're adjusting for eras, he should absolutely be a top 10 pick. It's ludicrous that he's not. I have him even above Richard. Morenz was the first superstar of the game, and I'd argue even more dominant over his peers than Richard, Howe, or Gretzky. Morenz never gets the recognition he deserves.

I'm surprised someone mentioned it. Morenz is a Legend half hour Northeast of where I live. Their arena is so old, and the last one in memory that uses a tractor to flood the ice. They would even do a turnover and have curling ice on Fridays. Probably people smoked on the ice.

Crazy how they said he died of a broken heart, from complications of a broken leg, being told he'll never play hockey again.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm surprised someone mentioned it. Morenz is a Legend half hour Northeast of where I live. Their arena is so old, and the last one in memory that uses a tractor to flood the ice. They would even do a turnover and have curling ice on Fridays. Probably people smoked on the ice.

Crazy how they said he died of a broken heart, from complications of a broken leg, being told he'll never play hockey again.

Yeah even though I'm pretty sure it was a blood clot iirc, but it does add a nice romantic twist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad