OT: NHL All-Time Draft

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
What hardware? Stanley Cups on your dynasty team? Yeah no shit, stick Bure on a team with as many Hall of Famers as the Islanders had.

well that’s like answering the age old question of how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop. The world may never know.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Those guys played in a time before color was invented. The intro looked like an old episode of Popeye. I’m sure they were good but I’d also agree with you on Bure there.
Contrary to ignorant belief, the generational differences are not beyond me. Dunno how many times I've ever had to say goalies of different eras are not to be compared, for example.

There's a bit to say for evolution, and if you put the likes of Morenz, Richard, or Sawchuk...or even Roy, Bossy, or Bure in today's feather-light skates with composite sticks, who knows what would come of it.

But I know this, after watching the HOUR worth of video several times over now, I see none of the cherry picking despite the claims from those that deserve as much respect as they give.

And he did all of it with no help from any hall of Famers.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Besides, if we just went down the list of production, there would be no surprises. If you start with Bure, you start with Bure. He’s my second favorite after Bossy. You never forget your childhood heroes.
Bure was the best hockey player I saw before he played for any of my teams. He was the enemy but watching him control BOTH ENDS OF THE ICE like no other in the manner that he did made me become a hockey fan and care more about more than just my team.

I remember after walking up to Nassau Coliseum after game 3 in 1994 and seeing the Bossy jersey and my ignorant 8 yr old ass looks up at my Dad and pointed and laughed at the name and he told me he was the Islanders best player ever. At that point I knew current players, most of the names in the video games and hockey cards, but not much history. After that game I started really studying the history of hockey, starting with Bossy, fascinated by his chase and last minute completion of the 50 in 50. Go figure, knew I wasn't supposed to like anything about the Islanders. Flyers too for that matter. My jealousy filled hatred for New Jersey and their defense is truly anything but. How's all that for a finger to the face of anyone who tries to dismiss my analysis for homerism?(who cares, they don't care enough to read thru all this anyway!)

Reactions: Rahooji

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Voting closes tomorrow morning at 9am. So far I have the following votes:

Bure- CHGoalie, pantherbot, IMclutc
Bossy- Rahooji
Roy- PSLGuy, StrangeVision
Morenz- DreadClawz, Cold Cat
Richard- Skippy

I need a single vote per person, if you name multiple I unfortunately cannot count them all.
So Bure wins with a whopping 3 votes?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
it's next to impossible comparing players across just a few decades let alone a divide of almost a century. I can only vouch for players I've seen play, live or on tv, or heck even old replays. I'm not voting for players that I only hear about through second-hand. That's like posting on GDT's after reading the synopsis of a game, which now that I think about...probably happens more than we think lol

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
it's next to impossible comparing players across just a few decades let alone a divide of almost a century. I can only vouch for players I've seen play, live or on tv, or heck even old replays. I'm not voting for players that I only hear about through second-hand. That's like posting on GDT's after reading the synopsis of a game, which now that I think about...probably happens more than we think lol

Well in that case, just forget about any player before 1960. They all suck. I can't find the reason in that sentiment. You have to make the best informed judgement you can.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Not really. I voted Bossy because he’s the greatest offensive weapon I’ve had the pleasure of watching. I’m sure the frogs from the 40’s - 60’s were good. The numbers support them but I haven’t watched them play before. I know it’s a different sport but my mind goes to the offensive lines on Vince Lombardi’s packers averaging 250lbs and these teams are considered some of the best in history. It’s hard for me to imagine these players playing hockey as I know it. But I admit that is my problem.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Not really. I voted Bossy because he’s the greatest offensive weapon I’ve had the pleasure of watching. I’m sure the frogs from the 40’s - 60’s were good. The numbers support them but I haven’t watched them play before. I know it’s a different sport but my mind goes to the offensive lines on Vince Lombardi’s packers averaging 250lbs and these teams are considered some of the best in history. It’s hard for me to imagine these players playing hockey as I know it. But I admit that is my problem.

But that's the problem. You're trying to transplant these players into today when that's not fair. You have to judge them against their peers. These players didn't have the benefit of evolution, modern science, nutrition, and training. They weren't coddled and given every advantage to succeed. I don't see how you can hold that against them. A 20 goal scorer from 100 years ago who was playing with a tree trunk for a hockey stick and had to worry about getting his head caved in in any given game gets way more respect from me than a 40 goal scorer of today who gets spoonfed success, flies in private team jets and plays in one of the best eras ever for offensive hockey. Especially because exactly 100 years ago, the nhl regular season was only 24 games.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
But that's the problem. You're trying to transplant these players into today when that's not fair. You have to judge them against their peers. These players didn't have the benefit of evolution, modern science, nutrition, and training. They weren't coddled and given every advantage to succeed. I don't see how you can hold that against them. A 20 goal scorer from 100 years ago who was playing with a tree trunk for a hockey stick and had to worry about getting his head caved in in any given game gets way more respect from me than a 40 goal scorer of today who gets spoonfed success, flies in private team jets and plays in one of the best eras ever for offensive hockey. Especially because exactly 100 years ago, the nhl regular season was only 24 games.

Thats exactly what I’m doing. I guess it’s I who can’t grasp the concept of an all time draft.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

It's a loaded question, just like asking about the best players to ever play the game. Like Rahooji says, maybe if we're being graded then sure we should do all sorts of research and analysis to compare different eras and lots of people have done that before.

I can only really comment on players I've seen play. None of us have really seen Morenz play so it's hard to compare. But if you want to do that then have fun with it.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Contrary to ignorant belief, the generational differences are not beyond me. Dunno how many times I've ever had to say goalies of different eras are not to be compared, for example.

There's a bit to say for evolution, and if you put the likes of Morenz, Richard, or Sawchuk...or even Roy, Bossy, or Bure in today's feather-light skates with composite sticks, who knows what would come of it.

But I know this, after watching the HOUR worth of video several times over now, I see none of the cherry picking despite the claims from those that deserve as much respect as they give.

And he did all of it with no help from any hall of Famers.
I loved Pavel Bure, electrifying is a fair description of his game. But, at least as a Panther, he was a cherry picker. Every game I got to go to, he was always hanging out in the NZ when puck was in FL's zone. He was never first into the corner for a loose puck, (although he'd often steal it from the guy he let go first). This isn't even meant as a knock on Bure, I'm sure this is exactly what the Panthers wanted from him. He was here to score goals and sell tickets, not to play on the defensive side of the puck. Electrifying was Bure when the puck came free to him while cherry picking out @ center.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I loved Pavel Bure, electrifying is a fair description of his game. But, at least as a Panther, he was a cherry picker. Every game I got to go to, he was always hanging out in the NZ when puck was in FL's zone. He was never first into the corner for a loose puck, (although he'd often steal it from the guy he let go first). This isn't even meant as a knock on Bure, I'm sure this is exactly what the Panthers wanted from him. He was here to score goals and sell tickets, not to play on the defensive side of the puck. Electrifying was Bure when the puck came free to him while cherry picking out @ center.

I'm sure it was the game plan, but that's probably because the Panthers knew he already did that. He did it in Vancouver too. I don't even necessarily mean it as a knock, I mean if you can back it up, which he could. A lot of players did it back in the day, even Gretzky, Brett Hull, Jagr etc. But I was just trying to illustrate that Bure was far from a complete player. He was a totally one-dimensional player, he was a goal scorer, and that's it, everybody knew that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad