NHL 22 Discussion

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think it would be fun to have a player potential that exceeds franchise. Have a "generational" class that is locked on create a player (so you can't create a generational player), has a low chance of happening and can only happen in franchise mode. Have it so that the generational player can exceed the 99 cap on stats.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
How do you guys scout the draft in Franchise Mode? I don't seem to understand why the draft class is filled with players that are ranked in the 500s,600s,700s, etc. Hardly any of those players pan out - and I made that mistake already by thinking I could get 'gems' by watching other youtubers.

Coming from 16/17/18, It seems like the only way to get a proper reading on players is if you do 'Potential and Comparison' for players. The only thing is, it seems to take forever when you try to scout 20 players at one given time.

I tried to do a 3 month scouting trip in the OHL, and I still couldn't 'unlock' their potential.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I think it would be fun to have a player potential that exceeds franchise. Have a "generational" class that is locked on create a player (so you can't create a generational player), has a low chance of happening and can only happen in franchise mode. Have it so that the generational player can exceed the 99 cap on stats.

That would be fun!

I always wanted players potential to rise and drop from year to year. You draft a player in the second round with yellow top 6 potential and then maybe in a few years they are now a player with green top 4. Works the other way too. Player with green elite potential and then in a few years is only green top 6.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
How do you guys scout the draft in Franchise Mode? I don't seem to understand why the draft class is filled with players that are ranked in the 500s,600s,700s, etc. Hardly any of those players pan out - and I made that mistake already by thinking I could get 'gems' by watching other youtubers.

Coming from 16/17/18, It seems like the only way to get a proper reading on players is if you do 'Potential and Comparison' for players. The only thing is, it seems to take forever when you try to scout 20 players at one given time.

I tried to do a 3 month scouting trip in the OHL, and I still couldn't 'unlock' their potential.
You hardly even have to scout guys that are in the early rounds the later they are expected to go the less you have to scout them.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I’m looking for 1-2 players tomorrow, Friday night on my PS4-5 club. We usually play from 10pm eastern to 3am. We already have a lw and ld, I’m flexible I can play center or rd so we need a rw and/or a c/rd. Message me if you wanna play, we’re a good group of guys but be forewarned we’re not politically correct.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I’m sorry, but what? I’m trying to have an expansive draft class, should I just leave the low ranked players alone?
yup

I'd say there's not much point in scouting beyond, say, 270 in the rankings at most

you're on old games, right? so iirc there IS more of a chance of late round gems but the cpu doesn't really go off board much and anyone who isn't taken will just be available in the next draft anyway so you won't really miss out

edit: one more unsolicited insight - there's a greater chance of finding gems in USA/Europe imo, at least to start. The vast majority of CHL players are AHL caliber potential at best. Don't waste time over scouting those leagues

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Haven't played an NHL game in a while and was wondering if it still had that chemistry thing where you have to have certain types of players (playmaker,sniper,PF ect...) on a line in order to get the best chemistry?

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Haven't played an NHL game in a while and was wondering if it still had that chemistry thing where you have to have certain types of players (playmaker,sniper,PF ect...) on a line in order to get the best chemistry?

The chemistry thing still exists, but it seems they've added a little more nuance to it aside from "scheme" fit and player type. I.e. it seems really good OVR/potential players playing together can supersede those other factors.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The chemistry thing still exists, but it seems they've added a little more nuance to it aside from "scheme" fit and player type. I.e. it seems really good OVR/potential players playing together can supersede those other factors.
That sounds promising. I really disliked having to have different roles on a single line in order to bump the chemistry.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
That sounds promising. I really disliked having to have different roles on a single line in order to bump the chemistry.

Don't get me wrong -- you'll largely still have to do that. They just added more detail to it and it's not as easy as putting three guys with strong "line fit" percentages and the right player type together. It's still frustrating in that it's hard to find the rhyme or reason behind why some things work and some things don't.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Don't get me wrong -- you'll largely still have to do that. They just added more detail to it and it's not as easy as putting three guys with strong "line fit" percentages and the right player type together. It's still frustrating in that it's hard to find the rhyme or reason behind why some things work and some things don't.
uggghh. Hopefully the next game will change that. Its the main reason I stopped playing. Its really frustrating starting a franchise and your lines have negative effects because of the chemistry. I don't want to have to trade a bunch of players or manual change their player type in order to get a decent chemistry.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
uggghh. Hopefully the next game will change that. Its the main reason I stopped playing. Its really frustrating starting a franchise and your lines have negative effects because of the chemistry. I don't want to have to trade a bunch of players or manual change their player type in order to get a decent chemistry.

To top things off, you can no longer edit a player type in franchise mode because, y'know, reasons.... :dunno:

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
You can turn the whole chemistry thing off in the options.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
yup

I'd say there's not much point in scouting beyond, say, 270 in the rankings at most

you're on old games, right? so iirc there IS more of a chance of late round gems but the cpu doesn't really go off board much and anyone who isn't taken will just be available in the next draft anyway so you won't really miss out

edit: one more unsolicited insight - there's a greater chance of finding gems in USA/Europe imo, at least to start. The vast majority of CHL players are AHL caliber potential at best. Don't waste time over scouting those leagues

Yeah I'm trying not to get hung up on prospects that are in the 400s+. I wasted so much effort in trying to 'uncover' these players when they mostly end up as random bottom 6'ers or AHL talent (not that it's a bad thing)

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Yeah I'm trying not to get hung up on prospects that are in the 400s+. I wasted so much effort in trying to 'uncover' these players when they mostly end up as random bottom 6'ers or AHL talent (not that it's a bad thing)
I'm sometimes scout them if they are 6'7 6'8 just for gig to see if I can find a giant that's actually good which is hilarious to watch in game.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I'm sometimes scout them if they are 6'7 6'8 just for gig to see if I can find a giant that's actually good which is hilarious to watch in game.

This is NHL 18, but I remember just going for it with enforcers that were 6'6, 6'7 in the later rounds.

I would score with them in the AHL just for laughs, and a player half their size would glitch out and 'helmet tap' their upper body :laugh:

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
That would be fun!

I always wanted players potential to rise and drop from year to year. You draft a player in the second round with yellow top 6 potential and then maybe in a few years they are now a player with green top 4. Works the other way too. Player with green elite potential and then in a few years is only green top 6.

I would agree, potential going up or down a bit would be nice.
But I would also like a reason.

I.E.
Joe Schmoe is a 2nd round pick, who fell from being a high 1st rough pick.
He is a low elite, mid 60's player.

SHOW ME what he needs to do to have it go from low to medium.
Like give the player a goal to meet their development path.
"Schmoe needs to score at a PPG in Junior to maintain potential, needs to score 1.2 ppg to increase potential, and under .8ppg will decrease potential"

Points are not the be all end all, but I get frustrated when a guy has an amazing year statistically and has a long playoff run, and somehow their potential never changes. It doesnt insentives the player to play young guys up the lineup as much as it should

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Anyone have any D tips for hanging in front of the net?

I'll hold LT and body check thinking I'm playing good D. Get a penalty.
Hold/Tap Y in front of the net my guy tries to start a fight and gets a penalty.

Seems when your playing D there's not much you can do to get in the way.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I've taken a long break from all video-games these past 4 yrs. I don't have an Xbox now but was playing this with my cousin past few weekends. I can conclude that this game is absolute trash. I used to play EA since a kid in 2002. I grew up with it, it's in my blood. I was the 274th best versus player in the world in NHL 18. Hovering in the 200-300 range. No small feat in general but was playing only as Sabres. Initially 1-timers were too easily, admittedly. Now it's IMPOSSIBLE. Players don't even get open to accept the pass in the o-zone. Passes usually don't even get to them fast enough. Forwards 'let' their sticks get tied up by the other team with no fight, so no one to pass to.

No lane, no one gets open for the shot, even if you change the strategies. Meanwhile a well-timed simple wrist shot goes in EVERY time even from bizarre angles. If you're lucky enough to complete a pass it usually just flubs off their stick. At first thought was just really rusty but got used to the gameplay and no the game sucks now. I don't want it to be TOO easy to score a 1-timer but it's just impossible now. Not getting nhl 23 even if I had an Xbox and I prob would've bought one too if it was playable.

Reactions: SempreMilan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad