NHL 22 Discussion

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008

Figured I'd make an official thread. I'll give it a chance.

Chell.PNG

Features:

Frostbite Engine
: The trailer gives a first real look at the franchise's first foray into the Frostbite engine, EA's exclusive graphics engine used for previous FIFA and Madden NFL games. The move allows for improved graphics, improved lighting and improved objects to create a more realistic, lively looking scenario. The Frostbite engine will be available on all versions of the game, regardless of system generation.
Superstar X-Factors: When it comes to some of the best players in the game, these abilities will help the best players shine through in ways other players can't. It's broken down into two categories: zone abilities and superstar abilities. Zone abilities help make star players better, while superstar abilities are extra power-ups for the best of the best. These will be evident in modes such as franchise, Be a Pro, HUT and the World of Chel.
Augmented Reality Broadcast: While in a game, new AR graphics will appear to offer information and stats through environmental surfaces.
New stick physics: An issue in previous games was poke checking becoming too powerful, resulting in a multitude of tripping penalties. The gameplay trailer showcased what appears to be improved stick physics, with EA saying that the new interactions should prevent sticks from poking through the boards and allow for more accurate penalty calls.
New facial graphics: The trailer also showcased more realistic player facial expressions. In previous games, players either looked zoned out or reacted incorrectly to the play at hand. In the trailer, it appears as though the players react a bit more realistically to situations.

Info:

Release Date
: October 15, 2021
Platforms: Playstation 5, Playstation 4, Xbox Series X and Xbox One
Version: Standard, X-Factor Edition
Publisher: EA Sports
Developer: EA Vancouver
Graphics Engine: Frostbite (all platforms)
Cover Athlete: Auston Matthews, Toronto Maple Leafs
Commentary: James Cybulski, Ray Ferraro
Cross-Platform/Generation: No

Info:

Release Date: October 15, 2021
Platforms: Playstation 5, Playstation 4, Xbox Series X and Xbox One
Version: Standard, X-Factor Edition
Publisher: EA Sports
Developer: EA Vancouver
Graphics Engine: Frostbite (all platforms)
Cover Athlete: Auston Matthews, Toronto Maple Leafs
Commentary: James Cybulski, Ray Ferraro
Cross-Platform/Generation: No

Last edited:

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
I really hope that they get the stick physics right, if they do that would actually be a huge improvement, biggest one in years if that means anything at this point really but other than that everything else was just superficial gimmick updates that are nice little things to have but don't actually fix any of the actual issues within this game series.

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
So not just they didn't make it cross platform,now it's also not cross-gen.
Game (chel specifically) was pretty much dead on Xbox (especially in Europe) in December already and now X1 players won't be able to play with/against Series S/X players in any online mode. Which means we'll spend 20x more in lobbies than playing the actual game.
Can't wait until it appears on EA Play for free around January....

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
So not just they didn't make it cross platform,now it's also not cross-gen.
Game (chel specifically) was pretty much dead on Xbox (especially in Europe) in December already and now X1 players won't be able to play with/against Series S/X players in any online mode. Which means we'll spend 20x more in lobbies than playing the actual game.
Can't wait until it appears on EA Play for free around January....
Wouldn't be the worst thing... Build a bigger player base

Currently without a console so think I'm picking up a PS5 for this and MLB the Show. Been Xbox only since 360, first time back to Sony since PS2.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
I hope i can turn off X factor abilities can not stand the symbols and shit

The idea is good but then just create good players without the shit info on the ice.Looks like an arcade game like 3vs 3 come on Ea do the game like on televison with real intros not like a mobile game on your phone.Bought it since NHLPA 93 and this is not the right direction on the new console.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I hope i can turn off X factor abilities can not stand the symbols and shit

The idea is good but then just create good players without the shit info on the ice.Looks like an arcade game like 3vs 3 come on Ea do the game like on televison with real intros not like a mobile game on your phone.Bought it since NHLPA 93 and this is not the right direction on the new console.

Huge fan of them adding the signature skills. At the very least it shows they are trying to fix the issue of every player feeling exactly the same.

Have to imagine they will give you the option to turn off the symbols like the On Ice trainer. I'll try them but will probably end up disabling them.

Reactions: Saitama and yzerman

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Hopefully they learned their lesson from 15 (1st edition for PS4), that game was by far the worst. If you don’t remember that one let me remind you by mentioning goalie interference. No cross gen makes me hesitant too, might have to wait a year.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Hopefully they learned their lesson from 15 (1st edition for PS4), that game was by far the worst. If you don’t remember that one let me remind you by mentioning goalie interference. No cross gen makes me hesitant too, might have to wait a year.
No EASHL in that one either. I still played the shit out of it for some reason.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
No EASHL in that one either. I still played the shit out of it for some reason.

Me too, probably because I loved 14. However after that travesty I started playing the Show, and 2K a lot more, and now it’s to the point I haven’t bought an NHL game at release in years. If you like the ultimate team mode, The Show and 2K are light years ahead of EA.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Not showing any real gameplay until a bit over 2 weeks from release..
Not mentioning anything about the biggest offline modes until 10 days before..

Yikes. I’m expecting this game to be an absolute dumpster fire like 15 was

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Not showing any real gameplay until a bit over 2 weeks from release..
Not mentioning anything about the biggest offline modes until 10 days before..

Yikes. I’m expecting this game to be an absolute dumpster fire like 15 was

That's a strange conclusion. Why do you think waiting until two weeks before indicates it's bad?

Whether it's two weeks before or two months before, what's the difference? They can't "hide" it if its damning. If the stuff they show is bad, it would impact sales one way or the other. The people that pre-order the game are getting it no matter what. Do you really think they are waiting until two weeks before in the hopes of tricking people into pre-ordering the game?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
That's a strange conclusion. Why do you think waiting until two weeks before indicates it's bad?

Whether it's two weeks before or two months before, what's the difference? They can't "hide" it if its damning. If the stuff they show is bad, it would impact sales one way or the other. The people that pre-order the game are getting it no matter what. Do you really think they are waiting until two weeks before in the hopes of tricking people into pre-ordering the game?
It's a common tactic in media, particularly movies. If they expect something to be a dud they will wait until week before to release reviews/more info. The whole point of it is to maximize their launch sales.

Although Ill admit I've been very negative about the game because I've lost hope in the series. Let's wait and see how game turns out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad