NHL 22 Discussion

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
uggghh. Hopefully the next game will change that. Its the main reason I stopped playing. Its really frustrating starting a franchise and your lines have negative effects because of the chemistry. I don't want to have to trade a bunch of players or manual change their player type in order to get a decent chemistry.
Chemistry should be revamped entirely.

In real life, chemistry is acquired over time. The more players play together, the more chemistry they have.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
They need to just get rid of chemistry.

I would also like to be able to choose summer "training" for the players that would actually bump the chosen stat by +1 or +2 or maybe even more. Maybe depending on their potential. I feel like this used to be a feature back in the 360 days. But maybe I dreamt it.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
They need to just get rid of chemistry.

I would also like to be able to choose summer "training" for the players that would actually bump the chosen stat by +1 or +2 or maybe even more. Maybe depending on their potential. I feel like this used to be a feature back in the 360 days. But maybe I dreamt it.

Training should absolutely come back. It gets to a point where you get lucky even finding someone who is above a 60 on faceoffs.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I've taken a long break from all video-games these past 4 yrs. I don't have an Xbox now but was playing this with my cousin past few weekends. I can conclude that this game is absolute trash. I used to play EA since a kid in 2002. I grew up with it, it's in my blood. I was the 274th best versus player in the world in NHL 18. Hovering in the 200-300 range. No small feat in general but was playing only as Sabres. Initially 1-timers were too easily, admittedly. Now it's IMPOSSIBLE. Players don't even get open to accept the pass in the o-zone. Passes usually don't even get to them fast enough. Forwards 'let' their sticks get tied up by the other team with no fight, so no one to pass to.

No lane, no one gets open for the shot, even if you change the strategies. Meanwhile a well-timed simple wrist shot goes in EVERY time even from bizarre angles. If you're lucky enough to complete a pass it usually just flubs off their stick. At first thought was just really rusty but got used to the gameplay and no the game sucks now. I don't want it to be TOO easy to score a 1-timer but it's just impossible now. Not getting nhl 23 even if I had an Xbox and I prob would've bought one too if it was playable.
274th? Wowwwwwww. In awe.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
How do you guys scout the draft in Franchise Mode? I don't seem to understand why the draft class is filled with players that are ranked in the 500s,600s,700s, etc. Hardly any of those players pan out - and I made that mistake already by thinking I could get 'gems' by watching other youtubers.

Coming from 16/17/18, It seems like the only way to get a proper reading on players is if you do 'Potential and Comparison' for players. The only thing is, it seems to take forever when you try to scout 20 players at one given time.

I tried to do a 3 month scouting trip in the OHL, and I still couldn't 'unlock' their potential.
Get scouts with good overalls like A-, A, or A+, and then scout for potentials and comparisons.
You can also view the stats of players about to be drafted to see their ETAs and other skill grades.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
I usually play NHL Threes against my pals. Does anybody know if it makes a difference whether I have a forward or defensive player as my lone defender? Does the forward get caught out of position more often?

Forward - Forward
Defender
Goalie

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I usually play NHL Threes against my pals. Does anybody know if it makes a difference whether I have a forward or defensive player as my lone defender? Does the forward get caught out of position more often?

Forward - Forward
Defender
Goalie
Forwards will generally have lower defensive awareness and other defensive stats like poke checking or body checking. The lower defensive awareness would cause an AI player to be out of position more often, and have more difficulty picking up passes in the defensive zone.

Reactions: UFO

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
Forwards will generally have lower defensive awareness and other defensive stats like poke checking or body checking. The lower defensive awareness would cause an AI player to be out of position more often, and have more difficulty picking up passes in the defensive zone.

Thank you for the clarification. In my case they (defender and forward) are pretty much even in defensive awareness, poke checking and body checking (89 vs 87). however my forward is far superior offensively.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Thank you for the clarification. In my case they (defender and forward) are pretty much even in defensive awareness, poke checking and body checking (89 vs 87). however my forward is far superior offensively.
I don't believe that the official position of the player makes any difference. I've seen high-level players using Puck-moving defensemen on the wing or using grinder/TWF on defense and being very successful.

Reactions: UFO

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
I don't believe that the official position of the player makes any difference. I've seen high-level players using Puck-moving defensemen on the wing or using grinder/TWF on defense and being very successful.

That's what I needed to hear. :D Thanks.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Count me in as a long time player/fan of this game, and I am starting to lose interest. Played since 93 and bought virtually every one that came out. Love the game, but I'm starting to ponder if I am going to buy 23 or not. I'm starting to get more frustrated at the game than enjoying it. I find that the game has made virtually every play in the game questionable. Much harder to make simple passes. Your intended pass to the winger goes to the centerman, or a basic pass is usually fumbled. A shot gets "whiffed" on way too often, or when it doesn't your stick breaks. You turn the penalties to the lowest, and still manage to get 7 penalties while the computer gets none. I don't know, it certainly has changed "Alot" in my opinion, and "Alot" is not for the better. I'm still contemplating on whether I will purchase NHL 23 "I probably will because I am a sucker", but my heart is not there anymore. I keep hoping for change, that maybe EA will figure things out, but by the looks of it, it won't be coming anytime soon.

I'm old school. Piss off with these missed basic passes, cut down on trying to be like the real NHL, and start making it more arcade again. Where a open man can easily be passed to, a big hit is a big hit, and a good deke can fool your opponent resulting in a breakaway without the defense magically catching up.

Honestly my favorite thing now is to start franchise mode, and draft a team.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Count me in as a long time player/fan of this game, and I am starting to lose interest. Played since 93 and bought virtually every one that came out. Love the game, but I'm starting to ponder if I am going to buy 23 or not. I'm starting to get more frustrated at the game than enjoying it. I find that the game has made virtually every play in the game questionable. Much harder to make simple passes. Your intended pass to the winger goes to the centerman, or a basic pass is usually fumbled. A shot gets "whiffed" on way too often, or when it doesn't your stick breaks. You turn the penalties to the lowest, and still manage to get 7 penalties while the computer gets none. I don't know, it certainly has changed "Alot" in my opinion, and "Alot" is not for the better. I'm still contemplating on whether I will purchase NHL 23 "I probably will because I am a sucker", but my heart is not there anymore. I keep hoping for change, that maybe EA will figure things out, but by the looks of it, it won't be coming anytime soon.

I'm old school. Piss off with these missed basic passes, cut down on trying to be like the real NHL, and start making it more arcade again. Where a open man can easily be passed to, a big hit is a big hit, and a good deke can fool your opponent resulting in a breakaway without the defense magically catching up.

Honestly my favorite thing now is to start franchise mode, and draft a team.

These games have gotten so boring that everything else in franchise mode is fun to do except play the games. Now the only time I play them is when I have a call-up, or when there’s a cool jersey matchup I can do.

Otherwise I just sim everything

• Haha
Reactions: MAHJ71

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
These games have gotten so boring that everything else in franchise mode is fun to do except play the games. Now the only time I play them is when I have a call-up, or when there’s a cool jersey matchup I can do.

Yes, most people playing the franchise mode tend to just simulate the games. I don't, though.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Quick question.
Is it only me or the GM mode on ps4 is supper buggy. It keep lagging so hard. Can barely open or change page in the GM mode with out the lag.

nhl 22 on ps4 (regular version)

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Quick question.
Is it only me or the GM mode on ps4 is supper buggy. It keep lagging so hard. Can barely open or change page in the GM mode with out the lag.

nhl 22 on ps4 (regular version)
It's not as fast as GM Mode on PS5, but I don't have it laggy on my PS4.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I wish there was a way in Franchise Mode to figure out what milestones players can hit.

I randomly went into a game and my second-line center was playing game 1000

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
So much hate for the game :)

For context, I jumped from NHL 14 on PS3 to 22 on Xbox Series X last week. I play on Superstar difficulty. I have experience playing NHL 20 with family and I considered 20 to be an awful gameplay. Stickchecks super sensitive to penalties, but also hits were super toned down, goals felt bland, idk I just preferred 14.

But NHL 22 finally feels like a step in the right direction imo. The big negative for me is the player indicator... I often have to guess if my player is with the puck or not.

Yes, it's difficult to play offensively, but it became easier when I stopped trying to carry the puck the whole way and stopped trying stretch passes all over the ice like in 14. Short passes and keeping the stick away from defenders is key, and it makes sense. Also can't just press X to become invincible in puck protection - nice! The battles along the boards also feel much more alive. My player actually goes around and tries to hit the puck back to them instead of... poking until its either a trip or the opponent just glides away.

Hits are back to being brutal when you carch a player the right way, but you can also resist one if you take it correctly.

The goals that I manage also feel very realistic. Rebounds, deflections, the odd one-tiner and dekes... its scored from taking advantage of mlcing the D until there's a flaw in the defensive zone coversge rather than just using rush opportunities.

TLDR: I'm having fun playing an NHL game other than 14 and its kinda unexpected.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
So much hate for the game :)

For context, I jumped from NHL 14 on PS3 to 22 on Xbox Series X last week. I play on Superstar difficulty. I have experience playing NHL 20 with family and I considered 20 to be an awful gameplay. Stickchecks super sensitive to penalties, but also hits were super toned down, goals felt bland, idk I just preferred 14.

But NHL 22 finally feels like a step in the right direction imo. The big negative for me is the player indicator... I often have to guess if my player is with the puck or not.

Yes, it's difficult to play offensively, but it became easier when I stopped trying to carry the puck the whole way and stopped trying stretch passes all over the ice like in 14. Short passes and keeping the stick away from defenders is key, and it makes sense. Also can't just press X to become invincible in puck protection - nice! The battles along the boards also feel much more alive. My player actually goes around and tries to hit the puck back to them instead of... poking until its either a trip or the opponent just glides away.

Hits are back to being brutal when you carch a player the right way, but you can also resist one if you take it correctly.

The goals that I manage also feel very realistic. Rebounds, deflections, the odd one-tiner and dekes... its scored from taking advantage of mlcing the D until there's a flaw in the defensive zone coversge rather than just using rush opportunities.

TLDR: I'm having fun playing an NHL game other than 14 and its kinda unexpected.
Go to setting and you can make your player indicator much smaller.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Go to setting and you can make your player indicator much smaller.

Its the opposite. The change in colour isnt evident enough (its a very similsr blue with and without the puck).

Which is an issue in the corner on my side of the ice mostly.

It doesnt make the game unplayable, just slightly annoying at times when I lose that moment's edge because of an hesitation

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
any update to if you change a players position, or if a player can be listed as multiple position like LW/C?

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Hey guys,
maybe someone cann help me.
One thing that I find really frustrating about the game is that indivual scoring is so low. When playing seasons there are bareley players that break the 80 let alone 90 or 100 points barrier.
In general point level is simpy really low. Lower than in the worst dead puck era days. Most certainly a lot lower than in the modern day NHL. Is there any way to fix this to get more realistic numbers?
For those who have upgraded to NHL 23. is it sill the same there or has it changed for the better?
Thanks a lot.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Hey guys,
maybe someone cann help me.
One thing that I find really frustrating about the game is that indivual scoring is so low. When playing seasons there are bareley players that break the 80 let alone 90 or 100 points barrier.
In general point level is simpy really low. Lower than in the worst dead puck era days. Most certainly a lot lower than in the modern day NHL. Is there any way to fix this to get more realistic numbers?
For those who have upgraded to NHL 23. is it sill the same there or has it changed for the better?
Thanks a lot.
What game mode are you playing? I play franchise and there are always a bundle of guys hitting 80 points and maybe 7-8 hitting 100 or close to it.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
my biggest pet peeve about nhl 23 is

the ABSURD amount of penalties called that shouldn’t be used penalties. it’s absolutely impossible to successfully stick lift without getting a penalty called on you. it’s either hooking or slashing, take your pick. sickening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad