NHL 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
The only thing I liked in that trailer was that skater Stride/stance customization tool. The chips are nice. But I’m still not buying. I hope others don’t as well and they are forced to go with a new group for next gen development and hopefully we get a better product.

Reactions: LokiDog

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
AI seems like a slight upgrade but not enough for me to buy or even want. I am going to specifically state that I do not want this video game at all. I picked up NHL 20 again to continue in my franchise/Dynasty. And get so frustrated with the game play. I have adjusted the sliders and it helped for a bit. Recently it seems that it changed without doing anything. Ill still continue to play this season/playoffs out and maybe the draft, but it gets hard to invest time in. Maybe play for 30-60 min before i get annoyed and turn the game off.

Reactions: mk80

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
The new game looks like dog shit for full price. It should cost no more than 20$. Those chip plays could and should have been in the mix years ago, and the AI adjustments are nothing but tweaks. The "upgrades" to single player career modes will still make FIFA 18's look first rate.

Reactions: Boxscore

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
AI seems like a slight upgrade but not enough for me to buy or even want. I am going to specifically state that I do not want this video game at all. I picked up NHL 20 again to continue in my franchise/Dynasty. And get so frustrated with the game play. I have adjusted the sliders and it helped for a bit. Recently it seems that it changed without doing anything. Ill still continue to play this season/playoffs out and maybe the draft, but it gets hard to invest time in. Maybe play for 30-60 min before i get annoyed and turn the game off.

Take it wayyy too seriously.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Take it wayyy too seriously.
No not really.

If they can make large world style games such as RDR2/GTA 5/ Zelda etc with NPC interactions based on how your player is doing, EA sports should be able to make intelligent AI. Its year 2020 and they seem to be going backwards. Thats the issue. Focus on game play.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Why do you care so much about what others think of the game? You seem wayyy too invested in critical comments about a video game.

Listen, 100 percent they need to make more improvements. But people acting as if any of this is important in the grande scheme of life, is bizarre. Just don't buy it.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Listen, 100 percent they need to make more improvements. But people acting as if any of this is important in the grande scheme of life, is bizarre.

Where has anyone said that this game is an important part of their lives? I think you're taking these criticisms to heart and taking them way too seriously.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Listen, 100 percent they need to make more improvements. But people acting as if any of this is important in the grande scheme of life, is bizarre. Just don't buy it.
I think you're the one taking it way too seriously, people are just being fairly critical of a game that deserves it. What that guy above said is his opinion and he didn't state anything about it having any effect on his life as a whole, just that it's not worth investing his time in.

It seems to be a trend with you since you've replied to a post of my own a while back. I made a joke about you saying hi to Rammer for me, judging by your continuous white knighting for EA I'm starting to think you passing Rammer along a greeting from me is actually possible.

Reactions: jprenkert

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I think you're the one taking it way too seriously, people are just being fairly critical of a game that deserves it. What that guy above said is his opinion and he didn't state anything about it having any effect on his life as a whole, just that it's not worth investing his time in.

It seems to be a trend with you since you've replied to a post of my own a while back. I made a joke about you saying hi to Rammer for me, judging by your continuous white knighting for EA I'm starting to think you passing Rammer along a greeting from me is actually possible.

I don't know the creators of the game by name like you do. So maybe re-assess what you think is "taking it too seriously" like you do. Because I don't post all over the internet trashing the makers of a VIDEO GAME, hardly means I'm being a "white knight". It's annoying and childish. Get your priorities set in your life before you act like having a mediocre video game be near the tops of your lists of things to gripe about.

Again the game is 100 percent stale, and the fact that they try to sell old and basic features like it's new is bizarre. I agree.

But you can choose not to buy it. This Rammer dude does not seem to put much stock into what his consumers want.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't know the creators of the game by name like you do. So maybe re-assess what you think is "taking it too seriously" like you do. Because I don't post all over the internet trashing the makers of a VIDEO GAME, hardly means I'm being a "white knight". It's annoying and childish. Get your priorities set in your life before you act like having a mediocre video game be near the tops of your lists of things to gripe about.

Again the game is 100 percent stale, and the fact that they try to sell old and basic features like it's new is bizarre. I agree.

But you can choose not to buy it. This Rammer dude does not seem to put much stock into what his consumers want.

I think the issue is more with the interpretation that making a post criticizing a video game constitutes "taking it too seriously." It literally takes 30 seconds to post, and doesn't say anything at all about what priorities someone has in life.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg

Saying "just don't buy it" is fine when you're talking about how you don't like coffee from this one place, or you don't like the features on a certain truck, because you have many alternatives to look at instead. In this case, we have 1 option. So if we don't get improvements on that one option, we have no alternatives. So yeah, people are going to be more vocal about what they think of that product. If you don't like it, just don't read it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So who here thinks that EA hires troll accounts to sabotage game lobbies in the previous version close to new release dates?

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
This game is not an essential part of life for me and I'm sure 99.9% of the players on this board and in the world. What is frustrating is, when many of us use this game as a means of relaxation or escapism, it becomes frustrating when the game overall is not updated or improved. Many cut scenes, player models, etc are the exact same from atleast NHL 14. Same faceoff sequence. Same break outs. Same "rookie first game bs". Same end of game celebrations. Same end of playoff series celebrations. Why does each end of playoff round celebration act like they just won the cup? Can there be code for that type of celebration to work if a round is won in OT during a Game 7? That is what gets frustrating. I noted I have no plans on purchasing this franchise any longer or even wanting it as a gift. I wish 2k would get back into the hockey market, as I thought the overall experience back in at least 2k10 was far superior than NHL 20.

My apologies for you taking my frustration on a game play of a video game I use for pleasure and relaxation, as being TOO serious. There are other games I also play and its amazing what can be done regarding AI etc. If those games can have such a immersion and depth to NPC, why can't EA sports also have something similar in regards to their hockey franchise? That is the frustration.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
This game is not an essential part of life for me and I'm sure 99.9% of the players on this board and in the world. What is frustrating is, when many of us use this game as a means of relaxation or escapism, it becomes frustrating when the game overall is not updated or improved. Many cut scenes, player models, etc are the exact same from atleast NHL 14. Same faceoff sequence. Same break outs. Same "rookie first game bs". Same end of game celebrations. Same end of playoff series celebrations. Why does each end of playoff round celebration act like they just won the cup? Can there be code for that type of celebration to work if a round is won in OT during a Game 7? That is what gets frustrating. I noted I have no plans on purchasing this franchise any longer or even wanting it as a gift. I wish 2k would get back into the hockey market, as I thought the overall experience back in at least 2k10 was far superior than NHL 20.

My apologies for you taking my frustration on a game play of a video game I use for pleasure and relaxation, as being TOO serious. There are other games I also play and its amazing what can be done regarding AI etc. If those games can have such a immersion and depth to NPC, why can't EA sports also have something similar in regards to their hockey franchise? That is the frustration.

Sounds like you are anything but "relax and pleasurable".

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I just hope player away from the puck cycle more intelligently and actually try and get open. Played some Franchise last night and amazing how much the players bunch up when attacking and then CPU has a much more fluid cycling when they attack.

It's made Franchise mode so boring. I can't cycle the puck. Doesn't matter what OVR's my players are or what O-zone Strategy i'm using. I move the puck up and down the half wall and D to D and that's it. Forwards don't move. They don't try and get open. It's the same thing over and over and over and over and over.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The AI has only seen minor-incremental improvements for what seems like the last 6 years. The entire world of gaming is improving and yet EA NHL isn't keeping up. It's like all they do every year is a: UI Overhaul, new music, new gimmicky HUT mode, new Deke, and add a minor selling point or two.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Sounds like you are anything but "relax and pleasurable".

You seem to enjoy poking at people? last I checked we can comment should we choose...positive or negative...yes this game is stale and yes there are a few of us who really take it too seriously...but it's not a lot to ask that a game be updated and decent if they are going to have a yearly release...to some people 79.99 is a lot of money and they want their money's worth (personally it's a noticeable investment to drop $79.99 on anything but hey I choose to do it so that's my problem) what were you expecting to hear when you came to this thread exactly? a love affair with EA?

Reactions: victoriacanucker

scorpiorising

May 25, 2011
I dont read other reviews of the game really. The game just seems stale to me. Its the same thing year in, year out. They add a minor game play change or two and a gimmick and charge $80 or whatever.

I think it may be my last one until they do some bigger changes. Not really complaining, it appears to be literally EA's MO. Why rebuild when everyone will buy it anyways because there is nothing else.

Microsoft bought Bethesda though. Time to recreate Bethesdas first ever game, Wayne Gretzky Hockey 3d!

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I got suckered into 20 quite late after watching someone play the game and thinking the coaching and chemistry systems were a nice new feature that 19 did not have.

However there will be zero chance I purchase 21 if they did not entirely fix, and improve, the coaching and chemistry system. It was nice in theory but in typical EA fashion it was implemented atrociously and was completely broken, making it an actual hinderance, not a fun new feature.

Reactions: jprenkert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad