NHL 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
EA Play was today they didn't even mention the game.

Best buy listed the release date Dec 31.

upload_2020-6-18_22-32-52.png

Edit:

Make sure you sign up for the close beta if you want to play it late August, here's the site to sign up.

NHL Technical Test

Last edited:
Reactions: KotkaSpicy

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Would be nice to know any changes coming. Would also be nice if they change the glitch on penalty shots for players to cheat the goalie. Going to the half wall, cutting to the slot and hiding the puck behind themselves. So annoying in 3 v 3.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If there’s any year for them to take a year off from releasing a game, it’s this one. They have a totally legit excuse to not have a game come out and they can spend this extra time making the game better.
This sounds good in theory, but they did that for this current generation of consoles, and then the first installment on the PS4/XBox1, NHL 15, was a steaming pile of absolute garbage. They released it about 10 months after the consoles released and it was completely threadbare. No EASHL, no HUT, I don't even know if it had online versus, though it might have and I don't remember. The gameplay was fine(for EA's standards), but it had Be a Pro, GM Mode, Playoff Mode, and drop ins with NHL teams. That was pretty much it. Metacritic is hardly infallible, but it tells the story pretty well. NHL 14 on PS3/360 received a score around 80, NHL 15 was at 60 for PS4/XB1, and then NHL 16 was back to 80. I wouldn't mind if they took the year off if it meant NHL 22 was great on the next gen consoles, or at least decent, but I just don't have faith in them at all.

Little change of topic, but what's everyone's guess for the cover athlete? I'm going to go with Nathan Mackinnon or Elias Petterson.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
This sounds good in theory, but they did that for this current generation of consoles, and then the first installment on the PS4/XBox1, NHL 15, was a steaming pile of absolute garbage. They released it about 10 months after the consoles released and it was completely threadbare. No EASHL, no HUT, I don't even know if it had online versus, though it might have and I don't remember. The gameplay was fine(for EA's standards), but it had Be a Pro, GM Mode, Playoff Mode, and drop ins with NHL teams. That was pretty much it. Metacritic is hardly infallible, but it tells the story pretty well. NHL 14 on PS3/360 received a score around 80, NHL 15 was at 60 for PS4/XB1, and then NHL 16 was back to 80. I wouldn't mind if they took the year off if it meant NHL 22 was great on the next gen consoles, or at least decent, but I just don't have faith in them at all.
I remember that, all the other sports games jumped right away with fifa 14 and nba 2k14 on next gen while nhl didn't and then nhl 15 literally didn't have club or any of that shit. What a joke..

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Their official account tweeted on June 18th that the NHL 21 will be revealed shortly.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany

Little change of topic, but what's everyone's guess for the cover athlete? I'm going to go with Nathan Mackinnon or Elias Petterson.

It had online versus and also HUT.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
If there’s any year for them to take a year off from releasing a game, it’s this one. They have a totally legit excuse to not have a game come out and they can spend this extra time making the game better.

The game is made by EA...

They will probably try to double down and release two games this year somehow because they want to capitalize off of all the people stuck at home right now...

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
You’re right, my bad. I thought they left it out. Still doesn’t really change my opinion though, the game was dreadful.

I actually had a lot of fun and even won HUT division 1. But I never was a fan of EASHL and only play Franchise and tried out HUT really for the first time in 15.

But yeah must be frustrating if you really loved EASHL.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I actually had a lot of fun and even won HUT division 1. But I never was a fan of EASHL and only play Franchise and tried out HUT really for the first time in 15.

But yeah must be frustrating if you really loved EASHL.
Yeah, it's pretty much the only game mode I play. I also remember being very disappointed by the GM Mode. I just watched a review of NHL 15 as a refresher and I forgot that they didn't have an entry draft for GM Mode at launch, which is just hysterical. They did patch it in eventually, but NO DRAFT in a GM Mode at launch after having an extra year to work on it?! That's just crazy. It's just so EA though.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
What's gonna be the gimmick this year? Realistic snow particle physics off the ice? SnowTech?

Reactions: OddyOh

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
They really have to work on Franchise mode. I'm sick and tired of EA focusing on fantasy land card games as if their entire base gives a crap about it. I want to build a dynasty, not a trading card team where every person online has a roster full of 90+s. Takes the fun out of the game. Improve scouting, trade values and trade logic, add coaches, real ones, WJC maybe, some NCAA teams? Idk, I'm also sick of teams drafting KHLers. NCAA players and USNTDP players that aren't in the game, therefore they're not in franchise. If that's the case, fine, but then at least add roster sharing. Idiots. This is why they lost NBA--they got lazy.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Coaches is just adding the coaches union. Basically just a question of money there.

NCAA and KHL/VHL/MHL have licensing issues associated with them and it’s unlikely to happen, IMO. EA did have RSL about a decade ago, which was the major league in Russia until the KHL formed.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
They really have to work on Franchise mode. I'm sick and tired of EA focusing on fantasy land card games as if their entire base gives a crap about it. I want to build a dynasty, not a trading card team where every person online has a roster full of 90+s. Takes the fun out of the game. Improve scouting, trade values and trade logic, add coaches, real ones, WJC maybe, some NCAA teams? Idk, I'm also sick of teams drafting KHLers. NCAA players and USNTDP players that aren't in the game, therefore they're not in franchise. If that's the case, fine, but then at least add roster sharing. Idiots. This is why they lost NBA--they got lazy.
They definitely have a lot to improve Franchise, but, while I hate the mode, HUT is their biggest money maker by far. They get $60 from me every year, but that’s it. I don’t buy packs or special editions or anything like that. I pretty much only play EASHL. A hardcore HUT user probably pays a couple hundred dollars on average, so they’re obviously going to spend more time catering to that group of players. It sucks, but it totally makes sense. I’m honestly surprised(and very happy) they haven’t tried bring the micro transactions to other modes. They used to have them in EASHL back in the 360/PS3 days when you could upgrade your player, but they’ve not had them in a while.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Little things like if you intentionally shoot the puck after the whistle, you get a penalty.
Kind of already happens, bascially you get one guy chasing you trying to start a fight and if he engages you, both sit for 2 minutes.

How bout a better faceoff mechanics and not just recycling the same set up since NHL 14. Wouldn't mind if they released an actually new game every other year and just offer roster updates, etc. Give the developers more time to make something better.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Bring back Live the Life, yes it felt primitive and prototype-ish but at least you did interviews and text-based senerios with teammates and fans, but if they actually build on it instead of scraping it for an even more bare bones version of be a pro that gets old within an hour. I loved bashing the Flyers post draft, poking fun at players they re-signed or picked up in free agency, saying I didn't want to live or play here, then turn around a day or two later and being on the Pens then injuring Giroux every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad