Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Consider both goalies still there at #11....I can see both Dallas and Edmonton offering Hawksxectra picks to movevup to grab a goalie before Calgary grabs the remaining goalie at#12.

If only1 of Wallstedt/Cossa remains available by #11,then 3 bidders to move up...CGY,DAL,EDM..

So unless Hawkscthemselves take a goaliecat #11I expect a move down for the Hawks. The price would be higher for Edmonton since the move down would be larger than move dowbscto either tge CHY or DaL spots .

Dallas is not gonna draft a goalie in the 1st round this year. If he does, this should get Nill fired. They've got the most promising goalie prospect leaguewide who played some fantastic games for them already. There's still no guarantee with Oettinger of course but they've got no reason to use high picks on goalies right now.

I've always said that Dallas is gonna draft Othmann. Not sure anymore if he's gonna be there but pretty sure he's top of their wish list. Even Craig Button agrees with me on that one but I called it first:laugh:

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Fantasyland proposal.

Why in the world would any of those teams that hold those picks even bother with that garbage deal?

didn't say any team would accept it but didn't understand why 'nah' was the answer from bwc when if any team would take it you obviously move up to the better pick

Reactions: RayP

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Meh

The fancy dangles wont work in NHL ,, Infact alot of his offensive production was simply off the fact of how awful overall much NCAA defense is

His shot is weak and Pearson isn't well regarded in developing forwards. Infact his system allows far too much freelancing and things that simply wont work in NHL

Not sold on Johnson enough to feel we should jump up to grab him when there are better or comparable talents available when Hawks select

Also as noted why would teams drop down for what you were offering? And frankly it doesn't make sense to move Suter to simply move a couple slots in NHL draft

Reactions: Hinterland

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Meh

The fancy dangles wont work in NHL ,, Infact alot of his offensive production was simply off the fact of how awful overall much NCAA defense is

His shot is weak and Pearson isn't well regarded in developing forwards. Infact his system allows far too much freelancing and things that simply wont work in NHL

Not sold on Johnson enough to feel we should jump up to grab him when there are better or comparable talents available when Hawks select

Also as noted why would teams drop down for what you were offering? And frankly it doesn't make sense to move Suter to simply move a couple slots in NHL draft
Any of these players in NHL?

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
There's a good chance Johnson is there when Hawks pick at 11. He has low compete concerns amongst some teams scouts. Makes fancy little plays but very weak on the puck. I'd move up for Guenther or McTavish but not for Johnson.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
There's a good chance Johnson is there when Hawks pick at 11. He has low compete concerns amongst some teams scouts. Makes fancy little plays but very weak on the puck. I'd move up for Guenther or McTavish but not for Johnson.

Draft reports, while quoting scouts, never divulge what team the scout being quoted works for.
Have either of you watched Michigan games this past season? Between the Big 10 network and video, there should be plenty of examples of "low compete" or "weak on the puck". I have yet to see much of this play from Johnson and have watched at least 5 Michigan games.

Reactions: d rake

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm not sure I want anything to do with a guy who is 6'1 and only 165 lbs. I'm honestly not even sure how it's possible to be that light as a hockey player. I weighed that much as a 5'7 guy, back in high school, and none of that weight was fat.... I'm not sure he has the frame to put on the weight he's going to need at the NHL level.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO

It's Michigan vs Minnesota. Approximately 20 minutes of Johnson on the ice.

Please point out the low compete level and when he's weak on the puck. Then tell me where he is not.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
My post was about draft reports in general.
If there is an opinion here I trust it’s Giovi’s. I’m not sure how many of you are BHZ - 300 level alums but he took a beating from the draft gurus there for loving the Seabrook pick. Others were split on Stuart, Burns or the Forward (name escapes me).
No backtrack no revisionist history. Just a solid assessment that ended up being spot on.

Reactions: Giovi

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Johnson would need patience with. No doubt. My gut says he has a real chance to be there at 10/11...I have no issues if we take him as he will have at least 2 years to start putting on mass/muscle...he is in the right program to really make that jump next year as well.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Johnson would need patience with. No doubt. My gut says he has a real chance to be there at 10/11...I have no issues if we take him as he will have at least 2 years to start putting on mass/muscle...he is in the right program to really make that jump next year as well.
I subscribe to your gut

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

I don't know. Do you see a lot of drafted prospects putting on 20+ pounds after they are drafted? 6'1 165 lbs. is twig-like. At 6'1, I'm not sure how you get away with being less than 185-190 lbs. He'd have to put on 20-25 lbs. after being drafted to get to that point, and even at 185, he's going to be one of the slightest players in the league.

For reference, Alex DeBrincat weights 165 lbs., and he's 6 inches shorter.

Looking at Johnson, I have the same concerns with him that I had when Sikura was with the Hawks. I worry that they just don't have the frame to ever put on significant enough muscle mass to be effective at the NHL level. At 26, Sikura is still only 170 lbs., and it really hinders his game.

Now, if you had world class wheels or agility and were that size, I would have less concerns. But it doesn't sound like Johnson has that? Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him.

Him being that slight of frame really jumps out as a major concern to me. But what do I know.

Edit: Most of the scouting reports I've seen on Johnson say he needs to add muscle mass and strength to improve his strength on the puck and balance. That he struggles with bigger defenders. This is at the NCAA level. Meh...

Last edited:
Reactions: hawksrule
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: