Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I'm not sure I want anything to do with a guy who is 6'1 and only 165 lbs. I'm honestly not even sure how it's possible to be that light as a hockey player. I weighed that much as a 5'7 guy, back in high school, and none of that weight was fat.... I'm not sure he has the frame to put on the weight he's going to need at the NHL level.

We just drafted Reichel at basically the same height and weight last year. I think Johnson was listed as 5'11" in the BCHL last year. So he's grown a couple injuries and hasn't put on any corresponding weight.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
We just drafted Reichel at basically the same height and weight last year. I think Johnson was listed as 5'11" in the BCHL last year. So he's grown a couple injuries and hasn't put on any corresponding weight.

Reichel was 6'0 and 172 lbs. when drafted. Almost ten pounds heavier, even though he's an inch shorter. Just looking at Johnson, he looks like a twig. Reichel's scouting report also mentioned how strong his lower body was for his age, how well he could fight through checks, how hard he was to take off the puck. Johnson's scouting report is almost the opposite, with most scouts mentioning his slight frame and how he struggles against big defenders.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I don't know. Do you see a lot of drafted prospects putting on 20+ pounds after they are drafted? 6'1 165 lbs. is twig-like. At 6'1, I'm not sure how you get away with being less than 185-190 lbs. He'd have to put on 20-25 lbs. after being drafted to get to that point, and even at 185, he's going to be one of the slightest players in the league.

For reference, Alex DeBrincat weights 165 lbs., and he's 6 inches shorter.

Looking at Johnson, I have the same concerns with him that I had when Sikura was with the Hawks. I worry that they just don't have the frame to ever put on significant enough muscle mass to be effective at the NHL level. At 26, Sikura is still only 170 lbs., and it really hinders his game.

Now, if you had world class wheels or agility and were that size, I would have less concerns. But it doesn't sound like Johnson has that? Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him.

Him being that slight of frame really jumps out as a major concern to me. But what do I know.

Edit: Most of the scouting reports I've seen on Johnson say he needs to add muscle mass and strength to improve his strength on the puck and balance. That he struggles with bigger defenders. This is at the NCAA level. Meh...
l7g59ptjqw061.jpg

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Reichel was 6'0 and 172 lbs. when drafted. Almost ten pounds heavier, even though he's an inch shorter. Just looking at Johnson, he looks like a twig. Reichel's scouting report also mentioned how strong his lower body was for his age, how well he could fight through checks, how hard he was to take off the puck. Johnson's scouting report is almost the opposite, with most scouts mentioning his slight frame and how he struggles against big defenders.

So they were basically the same size then. Not to mention, Reichel had an entire summer to put on weight after his season before the draft and only got to 172 (or 170, according to his NHL profile). Point is, these guys are 17/18, they're still growing. The weight will come with time. If he's playing at 165 right now, no he's probably never going to play at or around 200 lbs but I don't doubt he'll get to 180-185 at least. Time will tell.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't know. Do you see a lot of drafted prospects putting on 20+ pounds after they are drafted? 6'1 165 lbs. is twig-like. At 6'1, I'm not sure how you get away with being less than 185-190 lbs. He'd have to put on 20-25 lbs. after being drafted to get to that point, and even at 185, he's going to be one of the slightest players in the league.

For reference, Alex DeBrincat weights 165 lbs., and he's 6 inches shorter.

Looking at Johnson, I have the same concerns with him that I had when Sikura was with the Hawks. I worry that they just don't have the frame to ever put on significant enough muscle mass to be effective at the NHL level. At 26, Sikura is still only 170 lbs., and it really hinders his game.

Now, if you had world class wheels or agility and were that size, I would have less concerns. But it doesn't sound like Johnson has that? Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him.

Him being that slight of frame really jumps out as a major concern to me. But what do I know.

Edit: Most of the scouting reports I've seen on Johnson say he needs to add muscle mass and strength to improve his strength on the puck and balance. That he struggles with bigger defenders. This is at the NCAA level. Meh...
If the skill is there you deal with the rest. The kid will grow...and doesnt need 20lbs of mass..look no further than Jack Hughes and his mass gains yet still small frame. Hughes has performed fine and was excellent last third of the season..

Not saying Johnson has Hughes level of skill, but Hawks focus on skill more than many other attributes..I think we could be patient here with him, give him 2-3 years to fill out and go from there.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Both of the Hughes brothers were more "stout" than Johnson when drafted, by the way. A guy who is 5'10 and 170-175 lbs. has a much better center of gravity than a guy who is 6'1 and 165 lbs. As someone who has played/coached for 35 years, it's a substantial difference, actually.

I still have huge concerns with that frame. As do most of the people that have put together scouting reports on him. I also have concerns with the following scouting report:

While he is a puck-possession machine, he sometimes falls into the trap of hanging on to the puck for too long, ignoring open passing and shooting lanes as he tries to make the “perfect” play. When he makes a nifty move to create time and space for himself, he frequently squanders it by indecisively hanging on to the puck before eventually giving it away with an ill-advised pass. If the opposition can attack him with strategic and relentless pressure, it is almost a given that the creative forward is going to make a mistake a some point.
If the opposition is able to cancel him out, the problem is further enhanced because Johnson isn’t a player that really stands out away from the puck. He competes in the defensive zone, but I would not consider him to be a two-way player. Simply put: if he’s not showing off his offensive talents, he is basically invisible. To be fair, this is something that can be worked on, and the team that does select this player will absolutely have to figure out ways for him to make an impact without the puck.

Again...MEH. There has to be a better prospect than this available at 11. I think whoever drafts Johnson is going to be disappointed. I think bust potential is pretty f***ing high, too. If he can never put on SIGNIFICANT muscle mass, he's never going to be strong enough to be an impact player in the NHL.

Edit: The skill is undeniable, and he has a super high ceiling because of it. But this is a player who is at least 2-4 years away, who could end up being a total bust. I just don't like him for the Hawks.

Last edited:

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
If there is an opinion here I trust it’s Giovi’s. I’m not sure how many of you are BHZ - 300 level alums but he took a beating from the draft gurus there for loving the Seabrook pick. Others were split on Stuart, Burns or the Forward (name escapes me).
No backtrack no revisionist history. Just a solid assessment that ended up being spot on.
Thanks. I took a pounding from some on that. Steve Bernier was a popular choice among a few of the posters there. And then there was Hawksfan50, who endlessly pimped Dan Fritcshe, before, during and after that draft.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Both of the Hughes brothers were more "stout" than Johnson when drafted, by the way. A guy who is 5'10 and 170-175 lbs. has a much better center of gravity than a guy who is 6'1 and 165 lbs. As someone who has played/coached for 35 years, it's a substantial difference, actually.

I still have huge concerns with that frame. As do most of the people that have put together scouting reports on him. I also have concerns with the following scouting report:

Again...MEH. There has to be a better prospect than this available at 11. I think whoever drafts Johnson is going to be disappointed. I think bust potential is pretty f***ing high, too. If he can never put on SIGNIFICANT muscle mass, he's never going to be strong enough to be an impact player in the NHL.

Edit: The skill is undeniable, and he has a super high ceiling because of it. But this is a player who is at 2-4 years away, who could end up being a total bust. I just don't like him for the Hawks.
l7g59ptjqw061.jpg

Reactions: Muffinalt

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
here for the double EP post...johnson to hawks to add another generational talent to the pipeline

Let's hope he doesn't turn out like the other generational talent Musto has been pumping the tires on relentlessly. Actually, the scouting report I quoted above sounds exactly like Strome, so I guess it kind of makes sense that Johnson is Musto's guy.

I've also watched EP and Johnson's highlight reels. EP is way more talented. Especially as far as shooting is concerned. I'm not entirely sure what is so impressive about Johnson, to be perfectly honest. I don't see all that fancy dangling translating to the NHL. He's just not fast enough or shifty enough to pull it off. He plays on an absolutely stacked Michigan squad, too. I might be alone in this but again...meh.

Last edited:

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I don’t have a concern with his frame per se. He will probably add mass over a bit and top out around 180-190 so his speed won’t be negatively affected by too much weight too fast.

The issue I have a real problem with is being invisible on the other side/not having puck. Kane can do that because he is Kane. But this kid is not Kane and needs to work on that. Seems as if many kids that are F’s don’t care too much for the D side of the game so much.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don’t have a concern with his frame per se. He will probably add mass over a bit and top out around 180-190 so his speed won’t be negatively affected by too much weight too fast.

The issue I have a real problem with is being invisible on the other side/not having puck. Kane can do that because he is Kane. But this kid is not Kane and needs to work on that. Seems as if many kids that are F’s don’t care too much for the D side of the game so much.

Especially if he has aspirations to be a center.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
There will be flaws with any prospect we get at 11, at least Johnson has a lot of upside.

Though I don't see him making it past the top 10, so moot point.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011

Edit: The skill is undeniable, and he has a super high ceiling because of it. But this is a player who is at least 2-4 years away, who could end up being a total bust. I just don't like him for the Hawks.
lmao

Reactions: Muffinalt

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I love Kent Johnsons skill. He was so dynamic last year. Its a matter of if you think he has the abilities of players like Marner, Aho, Gaudreau, Ehlers, Petterson, Keller, or RNH. I personally think hes a Clayton Keller clone. I take that with the 11 pick.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I love Kent Johnsons skill. He was so dynamic last year. Its a matter of if you think he has the abilities of players like Marner, Aho, Gaudreau, Ehlers, Petterson, Keller, or RNH. I personally think hes a Clayton Keller clone. I take that with the 11 pick.

I think Scott Wheeler has him at #2. If he's available, it'd be a no brainer pick IMO

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I'm not worried about Kent Johnson being skinny.
I expect him to be gone in the top 10 anyway.

Murray Craven was tall and skinny.
Dylan Cozens is tall and skinny.
Elias Petterson is tall and skinny.
Wayne Simmonds
John Klingberg
Evgeni Malkin
etc.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Top 4 targets:

1 McTavish...sorry ..not going to last till #11....not as big a Hawks need if Reichel can play C at NHL level.

2.Chibrikov ...too gifted to ignore...electric speed...takes pucks to net...ferocious forechecker...plays with an edge but not dirty.. Geberates tons of offensive chances... Take him and laugh atcstuoidity ofcGMs that passed on him before we took him at #11.
He passed my eye testcatcu18sxwith flying colors...so impressed with thisxpkayer.

3 Cossa.. since Walkstedt gone before #11.

4.Coronato ...a lot to like despite the size ...and Stan probablyprefer smaller American over smaller Russkie winger (Chibrikov) ...but if he listens to ourceuro scouts may this time he goes Rusduan?

Possibility to trade down with CGY or Dallas if Hawjs decide notvto draft Cossa but go smaller winger instead.

Coronato=D-Cat but a better back'checker ...Chibrikov = a cross between Marchand and Point ...(edge liike eMarchand but not as dirty) ...relentless... and kije Oint=greatcsoeed and transition and play generator.

My hunch forca honecrin says take Chibrikov if as exoected McTavish gone ...unless we decide to take Cossa (Wwoujd give us a crowded goalie pipeline if we did that ...but at least itcwoukd be a tremendous organizational strength and we coukd trade one later for other assets...also gives us best chance 1 of Conmesso Soderblom or Cossa hits ceiling ofan elitectop 5 NHL goaliectalent in a few years.
Can make goaliexa position well stacked going to the future success.. Build from the goal out...thisxwoukd be a chance to do exactly that.

So ...probably Cossa or either Chibrikov or Coronato...that is howcI see tge Haws drafting .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln