Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Bowman and Kelly are horrible evaluators of young talent unless a kid is a no brainer who dropped his draft year for some reason like Cat, Saad, etc

The reason why the Hawks are in the position they are in currently is on account of horrible drafting. They don't take bpa, they take the player they fall in love with.

Dach wasn't the best player third overall, Byram was. Boqvist was taken off many teams draft boards completely because of concussions and wouldn't have been a top ten pick if not for Stan's stupidity

Now, they're signing euro rabble like Pour.

This is not accurate at all.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Bowman and Kelly are horrible evaluators of young talent unless a kid is a no brainer who dropped his draft year for some reason like Cat, Saad, etc

The reason why the Hawks are in the position they are in currently is on account of horrible drafting. They don't take bpa, they take the player they fall in love with.

Dach wasn't the best player third overall, Byram was. Boqvist was taken off many teams draft boards completely because of concussions and wouldn't have been a top ten pick if not for Stan's stupidity

Selected 2010 Kevin Hayes at 24 he ranks 22nd, refused to sign with Hawks even tho Chicago acquired his brother Kevin, who was traded for Kris Versteeg

2011 Mark McNeill and Phillip Danault at 18 and 26, McNeill was a bust but got us Oduya back, Danault ranks 31, traded for Weise and Fleischmann at trade deadline

2012 Teuvo Teravainen at 18 he ranks 15th, won a Cup and a salary dump assist

2013 Ryan Hartman at 30 he ranks 17th, traded for Beaudin and Kurashev

Traded up for 2014 Nick Schmaltz at 20 he ranks 18th, traded for Strome

2015 was a dud draft with no first rounder but Bowman went out and got #3 Dylan Strome in a trade

2016 Alex DeBrincat at 38 he ranks 6th

Traded down for 2017 Henri Jokiharju at 29 he ranks 8th, traded for Alex Nylander

2018 Adam Boqvist and Nicolas Braydon at 8 and 27 they rank 9th and 24th

2019 Kirby Dach at 3 he ranks 3rd

2020 Lukas Reichel at 17 and he's just beginning

Overall players selected (again these are only first round selections) proved to be better than the spot where they were drafted...

Reactions: hawksrule

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Selected 2010 Kevin Hayes at 24 he ranks 22nd, refused to sign with Hawks even tho Chicago acquired his brother Kevin, who was traded for Kris Versteeg

2011 Mark McNeill and Phillip Danault at 18 and 26, McNeill was a bust but got us Oduya back, Danault ranks 31, traded for Weise and Fleischmann at trade deadline

2012 Teuvo Teravainen at 18 he ranks 15th, won a Cup and a salary dump assist

2013 Ryan Hartman at 30 he ranks 17th, traded for Beaudin and Kurashev

Traded up for 2014 Nick Schmaltz at 20 he ranks 18th, traded for Strome

2015 was a dud draft with no first rounder but Bowman went out and got #3 Dylan Strome in a trade

2016 Alex DeBrincat at 38 he ranks 6th

Traded down for 2017 Henri Jokiharju at 29 he ranks 8th, traded for Alex Nylander

2018 Adam Boqvist and Nicolas Braydon at 8 and 27 they rank 9th and 24th

2019 Kirby Dach at 3 he ranks 3rd

2020 Lukas Reichel at 17 and he's just beginning

Overall players selected (again these are only first round selections) proved to be better than the spot where they were drafted...
From what dimension did you get these rankings?

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
NHL games played...ranked from that draft the number of NHL games played, which if I'm not mistaken is a 'proof in the pudding' measurement...

This is really the only stat that matters. Are you going to draft an NHL player or not?

So Patrick Marleau is the GOAT?

We would be beyond lucky to draft a Patrick Marleau this year...

Reactions: hawksrule

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
So Patrick Marleau is the GOAT?
Ranking is not value, so in Marleaus' draft year he would have ranked number 1, don't have to look up the year as he is first in NHL games played but here's his draft class...

1-Joe Thornton
2-MARLEAU
3-Olli Jokinen
4-Roberto Luongo
5-Eric Brewer
6-Daniel Tkaczuk
7-Paul Mara
8-Sergei Samsonov
9-Nick Boynton
10-Brad Ference
11-Jason Ward
12-Marian Hossa
13-Dan Cleary, Chicago!
14-Michel Riesen
15-Matt Zultek

So yes Marleau would 'rank' first and as you see from that draft class he was a good pick, Hossa maybe might be the best, but look at all the dudes! That's what I'm trying to show with my 'rankings'...even Cleary, while he's no Hossa or Marleau he did end up playing 938 NHL games...ranking him 12th in the 1997 draft behind...

Marleau, Thornton, Hossa, Jokinen, Jason Chimera, Brian Campbell, Scott Hannan, Matt Cooke, Luongo, Brewer and Brendan Morrow...

I stand by my assessments

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011

I cant believe I even engaged in conversation with you yesterday.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Ranking is not value, so in Marleaus' draft year he would have ranked number 1, don't have to look up the year as he is first in NHL games played but here's his draft class...

1-Joe Thornton
2-MARLEAU
3-Olli Jokinen
4-Roberto Luongo
5-Eric Brewer
6-Daniel Tkaczuk
7-Paul Mara
8-Sergei Samsonov
9-Nick Boynton
10-Brad Ference
11-Jason Ward
12-Marian Hossa
13-Dan Cleary, Chicago!
14-Michel Riesen
15-Matt Zultek

So yes Marleau would 'rank' first and as you see from that draft class he was a good pick, Hossa maybe might be the best, but look at all the dudes! That's what I'm trying to show with my 'rankings'...even Cleary, while he's no Hossa or Marleau he did end up playing 938 NHL games...ranking him 12th in the 1997 draft behind...

Marleau, Thornton, Hossa, Jokinen, Jason Chimera, Brian Campbell, Scott Hannan, Matt Cooke, Luongo, Brewer and Brendan Morrow...

I stand by my assessments
Yeah but....

Marleau is the best of any draft year and probably all time.

Not that I don't discourage this type of thinking, but there's a few flaws that need to be tweaked

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
His skating is a little questionable, no? Not too interested in guys with questionable skating.
No, that's been overblown I think. He's a good skater, just not explosive. Better skater than Sillinger for example. Lucius plays an up-tempo game.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Every crappy skater seems to get a "He is good skater -Insert area of skating he sucks at here-" statement

Here is a description of Strome from draft when it came to his skating

"working very hard to improve his acceleration and top-end speed"

Sound very similar to your "Just not explosive" statement and how many years now has Strome been working on his skating with no results?

Reactions: Giovi

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah I think he's in the conversation.

I don't like him as much as Lysell and Wallstedt who I think will also be available, but he's a solid prospect.

I mean, Toews was never a burner...being smart is huge.

Also not sure how I feel taking a goalie that early while there are whispers of Lysell off ice drama.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
His skating is a little questionable, no? Not too interested in guys with questionable skating.
Yes and no.

He was a better skater last year, despite what Hockey News writes. Prior to this season, he had a lower body injury and missed approximately 10 weeks of the start of the season. Most likely a knee requiring surgery. I read that due to the injury, he did not play the 2nd of back-to-back games.

Despite the injury, he turns well and has good lateral movement. IMO, he has the best wrist shot in this draft class- knows where to go, gets into shooting position, the puck is gone in a flash, can pick his spot. He's good on draws and has good hockey IQ. He is not a 200 foot center.

He'll be at the University of Minnesota next season. Might be longer than one season as his younger brother will join U of M in 2022-23.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Buttons mock is up and has the Hawks taking Coronato.

I can get behind that, but I still hear the Hawks are looking defense.

And lol at Lysell. Button has him in the lower half of the first round.

You all have been duped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad