Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I think McTavish is the best Center in this year's draft, so he won't drop out of the top10. He's been at 9 in McKenzie's first ranking and has shown the best progress among Centermen since.

I don't dislike Swedes, I just didn't like the effort level of that WJC18 squad. Once trailing by 2, they just gave up and nobody gave a shit. Therefore, I expect Eklund and maybe also Wallstedt to go before McTavish but none of those quitters. This may be why I'm no NHL GM but if I was, I wouldn't draft any quitters. Yes, they're kids but that was unacceptable to me. I've never seen anything like this from a Swedish national team.
If McTavish can Improve his skating he's a keeper.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
I think McTavish is the best Center in this year's draft, so he won't drop out of the top10. He's been at 9 in McKenzie's first ranking and has shown the best progress among Centermen since.

That's not quite a rational justification of McTavish being the best center. You cite the first McKenzie ranking of McTavish at #9 but the second ranking was #11. And he's not the best center, McKenzie has Beniers at #4 in both polls.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
At #13 we need a miracle to move up.

So...Lambos, Sillinger?
Maybe Lucius falls for some reason?
Someone will fall, right?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Hopefully it's Johnson because he's so skinny

Nobody really fell last year though.

Perfetti and Lundell went a little lower than expected but not by that much.
Yeah last year the top 10 went pretty much as expected.

But 2019 had Caufield fall out. Krebs too but that was injury-related.

2018 had Dobson.

So it happens. Lysell, Wallstedt, and Johnson are the ones that could slip this year if we're lucky.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Ugh.

Higher than any of the other LHD they have, or about the same?
At LHD we have Beaudin, Kalynuk, Phillips, and Kaiser...am I missing someone else?

He's excepted to be better than all of them. After all he is a unanimous 1st round talent. But I'm unsure that there's huge separation there.

Beaudin also has top 4 potential. Kalynuk had a good rookie season. Phillips probably top 6. Kaiser I could see having top 4 potential.

So Lambos comparative to the guys we have, might only be the difference between a 3D and a 4D, which is kind of marginal.

As far as LHD in our draft range go, I actually prefer Kirsanov (who we could probably grab in the 2nd round anyway) and Svozil more than Lambos, though it's not a big gap.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
At LHD we have Beaudin, Kalynuk, Phillips, and Kaiser...am I missing someone else?

He's excepted to be better than all of them. After all he is a unanimous 1st round talent. But I'm unsure that there's huge separation there.

Beaudin also has top 4 potential. Kalynuk had a good rookie season. Phillips probably top 6. Kaiser I could see having top 4 potential.

So Lambos comparative to the guys we have, might only be the difference between a 3D and a 4D, which is kind of marginal.

As far as LHD in our draft range go, I actually prefer Kirsanov (who we could probably grab in the 2nd round anyway) and Svozil more than Lambos, though it's not a big gap.

Are there any D that you’re seeing as absolutely being better than all the Hawks’s D, or at least all aside from Boqvist?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That's not quite a rational justification of McTavish being the best center. You cite the first McKenzie ranking of McTavish at #9 but the second ranking was #11. And he's not the best center, McKenzie has Beniers at #4 in both polls.

I think that McKenzie's lists are usually the closest you're gonna get so I mostly agree with them but I still don't really understand why McTavish fell from 9 to 11. Again, for me, he's the best Center in this years draft. Mostly due to a lack of competition, but for me it's clear and I wouldn't be surprised to see McTavish rise again on McKenzie's final list. In any way, he's not gonna fall to 13. That would be shocking.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Id love to get a McTavish, Otthman or Stillman. Let's get some edge.

I like McTavish and some analysts seem to disagree with me but I haven't seen McTavish play with an edge yet. Certainly not close from Othmann or Stillman who just love to run over everything that moves.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021

Vlasic

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Top 4.

Pegging him as a 2D seems a bit lofty.
If his potential is top 4, then the expectations would indicate bottom 6. If that's the case, he'd fall well into the second round.

He plays both the PP and PK. Excellent edges and backward skating. He won't wow with end to end rushes as that's not his game. Passes on tape. Strong IQ and is a solid defender. I'd say he's a better defender than the projected top 4 d-men. Good size and he has toughness.

The dark cloud is the undisclosed medical issue for which he had a procedure near the end of April. Some scouts were not particular thrilled with his play in Europe. This makes for a somewhat polarizing pick.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think that McKenzie's lists are usually the closest you're gonna get so I mostly agree with them but I still don't really understand why McTavish fell from 9 to 11. Again, for me, he's the best Center in this years draft. Mostly due to a lack of competition, but for me it's clear and I wouldn't be surprised to see McTavish rise again on McKenzie's final list. In any way, he's not gonna fall to 13. That would be shocking.
Better than Beniers? I don't think so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad