Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Well thanks to the Hawks only getting one point instead of two, Calgary only needs to win 3 out of 4 games to tie the Hawks. But does a tie mean they pass us or do they still draft 11th?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'm a little confused on the lottery rules.

It says a team can only move up 10 spots. Does that mean if the #14 lowest team wins the lottery, they can only move up to #4 in the draft? Or does that mean the #14 team isn't eligible for the lottery?

Which brings me to the Hawks. They look destined for the #12 slot. Does that the Hawks sit out the draw for #1 but are in the draw for #2...or does it mean if they win either of the draws, they pick #2 either way? Does that make sense?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm a little confused on the lottery rules.

It says a team can only move up 10 spots. Does that mean if the #14 lowest team wins the lottery, they can only move up to #4 in the draft? Or does that mean the #14 team isn't eligible for the lottery?

Which brings me to the Hawks. They look destined for the #12 slot. Does that the Hawks sit out the draw for #1 but are in the draw for #2...or does it mean if they win either of the draws, they pick #2 either way? Does that make sense?
That's in 2022.
This year anyone can win #1 and #2.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Have to admit, it's not really a draft where I'd be over the moon getting 1st.

Basically 2nd and 3rd picks have just as much value.

But I have Eklund at 1st. Though I'd be up for discussing Beniers, Hughes, and Johnson at that pick as well.
I just went to tankathon and it said they're not eliminating the odds for the Coyotes.
So as of right now, the Hawks get the odds for the #13 spot and will pick 12th if they don't jump.

With the new rules limiting lotto wins in a 5 year period, I'm fine staying put since the Hawks already have one win in 2019.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I just went to tankathon and it said they're not eliminating the odds for the Coyotes.
So as of right now, the Hawks get the odds for the #13 spot and will pick 12th if they don't jump.

With the new rules limiting lotto wins in a 5 year period, I'm fine staying put since the Hawks already have one win in 2019.
Yeah Yotes pick is still in play as far as we know. I think in theory, if it jumps to 1st, there won't be a "1st overall pick" in the draft. The first player off the board would be "2nd overall".

Doesn't the lotto rule only kick in next year? Therefore winning in 2019 doesn't count towards that rule?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

It says wins in the lottery prior to 2022 do not count towards the 2 lottery wins in 5 year rule.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yeah Yotes pick is still in play as far as we know. I think in theory, if it jumps to 1st, there won't be a "1st overall pick" in the draft. The first player off the board would be "2nd overall".

Doesn't the lotto rule only kick in next year? Therefore winning in 2019 doesn't count towards that rule?
RE: bolded-I'm not sure, but I heard something like that.......idk what "kick in next year" Does it mean 2022 onward with everyone having a clean slate? Or is it retroactive to 2018 starting in 2022?

Tankathon said that if Arizona wins a top 2 spot, then there will be a re-draw.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
So finished with 55pts, currently with 9 teams finishing lower than us...Calgary and Vancouver could follow suit...so currently drafting 11th(with Seattle) but Arizona forfeits their first...so a chance at the 10th best prospect in this years draft, also the top pick of all Central teams...

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So finished with 55pts, currently with 9 teams finishing lower than us...Calgary and Vancouver could follow suit...so currently drafting 11th(with Seattle) but Arizona forfeits their first...so a chance at the 10th best prospect in this years draft, also the top pick of all Central teams...
I don't think we can get 10th. I think 11th is the highest, contingent on Calgary.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Have to admit, it's not really a draft where I'd be over the moon getting 1st.

Basically 2nd and 3rd picks have just as much value.

But I have Eklund at 1st. Though I'd be up for discussing Beniers, Hughes, and Johnson at that pick as well.

It would be nice so we could trade down. Otherwise I agree, I hope we don't blow our karma before 22/23.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Maybe he's on the Hawks draft board as a potential 2nd rounder, maybe he isn't. But the post I responded to didn't mention his talent level as a reason for picking him, merely that it had been awhile since the Hawks had brothers on their roster.

I pointed out that having a brother already in the organization was a feeble reason to pick someone, and it is.
Point taken .. but I wasn't mentioning the brother thing as a reason to pick Colton only as an interesting fact re having brothers on the team ... and I also said of note so Sikura's don't make the cut.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
A bit confusing on How far you can move up with the Lottery. NHL states that in 2022 you can only move up 10 spots , so I guess its the same as last year's draft.
NHL Draft Lottery changes announced for 2021 Even though we are really DEEP at D and just drafted a Goalie in the 2nd rd ,I think the 2 most impactful players in this draft might be Owen Power and Jesper Wallstedt ,Everybody else seems kinda run of the mill .

Last edited:

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Just finished drafting using Draft Prospects Hockey’s NHL Draft Sim.
Chicago Blackhawks
(13) Mason McTavish, C
(45) Prokhor Poltapov, RW
(58) Anton Olsson, LD
(104) Ethan Del Mastro, LD
(109) Josh Doan, C
(173) Guillaume Richard, LD
(205) Joe Vrbetic, G
(215) Brian Zanetti, LD

I'd take this draft and run with it. Skill, character and some size

Reactions: Muffinalt

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
Chicago Blackhawks
(13) Mason McTavish, C
(58) Anton Olsson, LD
(109) Josh Doan, C
(205) Joe Vrbetic, G
(215) Brian Zanetti, LD

I watched McTavish at the under 18's , and was impressed

Reactions: Muffinalt

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hawks coukdxstill draft 111h instead of 12th pre-lotto if either CGY and Vancouver overtake us.

CGY 4GR ...need 6 points to tie us in points butcwoukd overtake on more wins.

SO for CGY win 3 of 4 ...or 2w+2OT or Shoot -Out losess would rank them higher than us in the final standings
They have 4 games remaining vs. Vancouver.

Canucks need 10 points of 12 possible in 6GR to tie us in points..but they still would be behind us on wins so in reality they need to get 11/12 points ....which probably does not hapoen.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
A bit confusing on How far you can move up with the Lottery. NHL states that in 2022 you can only move up 10 spots , so I guess its the same as last year's draft.
NHL Draft Lottery changes announced for 2021 Even though we are really DEEP at D and just drafted a Goalie in the 2nd rd ,I think the 2 most impactful players in this draft might be Owen Power and Jesper Wallstedt ,Everybody else seems kinda run of the mill .
We're deep in that we have a lot of young defensemen in the system.

But none of them are 1D material, which is a problem.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Chicago Blackhawks
(13) Mason McTavish, C
(58) Anton Olsson, LD
(109) Josh Doan, C
(205) Joe Vrbetic, G
(215) Brian Zanetti, LD

Would be amazing but I'd give it a 0% chance you get McTavish at #13 or Del Mastro at #104.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Would be amazing but I'd give it a 0% chance you get McTavish at #13 or Del Mastro at #104.
All it takes is two teams to rate some players high on their draft board and it could be a 100% chance.

The U18s will have some recency bias that favors McTavish but a team may have the same bias for Ceulemans or Lysell (Your dislike for the Swedes aside). I'm sure at least one team had Sillinger above McTavish on their board and the U18 did not change that ranking. Perhaps the same applies to Lucius.

Not that the above players would be my favored selections above McTavish, but the last time I checked no NHL team was asking for my advice. This is not a big reach to suggest McTavish would be available at #13, or in the case of the Hawks #12.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So crystal clear now...IF CGY cannot get 7 of 8 points from their last 4 games then Hawkswill select 12th unless a lotto miracle win happens.

If CGY goes 4-0 or 3-0-1 then they rise above Chicago and Hawks move uoto #11 pre-lotto.

Reactions: bwana63

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
All it takes is two teams to rate some players high on their draft board and it could be a 100% chance.

The U18s will have some recency bias that favors McTavish but a team may have the same bias for Ceulemans or Lysell (Your dislike for the Swedes aside). I'm sure at least one team had Sillinger above McTavish on their board and the U18 did not change that ranking. Perhaps the same applies to Lucius.

Not that the above players would be my favored selections above McTavish, but the last time I checked no NHL team was asking for my advice. This is not a big reach to suggest McTavish would be available at #13, or in the case of the Hawks #12.

I think McTavish is the best Center in this year's draft, so he won't drop out of the top10. He's been at 9 in McKenzie's first ranking and has shown the best progress among Centermen since.

I don't dislike Swedes, I just didn't like the effort level of that WJC18 squad. Once trailing by 2, they just gave up and nobody gave a shit. Therefore, I expect Eklund and maybe also Wallstedt to go before McTavish but none of those quitters. This may be why I'm no NHL GM but if I was, I wouldn't draft any quitters. Yes, they're kids but that was unacceptable to me. I've never seen anything like this from a Swedish national team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad